Security Deposits

Answered!
Carl59
Level 1
Brittany, France

Security Deposits

Hi All,

The wording for the security deposit is 'If you submit a damage claim within 14 days of checkout, guests will be responsible for damages up to this amount.'  What happens if the guest trashes my cottage which far exceeds the security deposit.  Do I or my insurance company have any right of recovery to pursue the guest for the full damages?  Most of the security damages I have looked at wouldn't even cover the cost of replacing a television let alone anything else.....any comments or help would be appreciated.

many thanks 

1 Best Answer

@Carl59   

You, your insuarance company can do what you need to do, it is your property.  It's tough to get any compensation from Airbnb.

As for : 'If you submit a damage claim within 14 days of checkout, guests will be responsible for damages up to this amount.' "   It's not quite as straight forward as that, especially if the guest challenges the claim.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/140/how-does-airbnb-handle-security-deposits

You could also try Airbnb Host Guarantee to claim for other damages.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/361/how-do-i-request-reimbursement-under-the-host-guarantee

View Best Answer in original post

46 Replies 46
Erik94
Level 2
SF, CA

My security deposit is for $2,000. I hope it weeds out anyone irresponsible. This would only cover a few of the items in my place so if multiple items were damaged it could easily be more. It may sound like a lot, but it should not be an issue for anyone who treats a home and furnishings with respect and care, as I would expect and treat others. I've only had one nightmare incident, that luckily did not require reimbrusement due to damages. However, keep in mind that if you rent your place out to the next renters before making a claim then your claim will be voided. I believe you only have 48 hours to make a claim anyways. So if you are out of town be sure to have a friend go through your place and assess and document any damages to be reported immediatly.

JoJo35
Level 2
Pinellas Park, FL

I am brand new at this.  I just booked my first guest. 2 adults for 5 days.  Should I ask for a security deposit to cover any damages, if any.  Who holds the security deposit?  Can someone please help.

Thank you

Jo S

@JoJo35 You cannot add a security deposit after a guest has booked. If you were to add it now it might be a detterent - or promote guests to be more careful - in your future bookings. 

Thank you so much  I didn't add it nor will I in the future, I just didn't know what was procedure  I know a few hosts that do and I feel i didn't want to.  Thanks for your quick response.

Cha5
Level 2
Fort Walton Beach, FL

@Jo JO35, You probably right not to add any security deposit, it is a waste of time and hope. As far as I know Airbnb doesn't hold security deposit from guests. 

Airbnb do not hold the guests accountable for if they denied it. 

Airbnb will decide if they will give you any reimbursement if you file any claims against the guest who damaged your place. It doesn't matter how much damage deposit you had post on your listing.

As in my case, I post $450 deposit that guest have to agree on before they can book and I filed a claim $270, still have not received the full amount filed from Airbnb, and have gone through hoops and Bars that Airbnb Resolution had put me through.

Guest stained and soak my bunk bed top and bottom, put a whole in the sheet, discolored 3 towels, my cleaning person had to do extra cleaning, take the bed topper home to clean, the carpet in the room were wet. The cleaning company bill me for extra cleaning services and I had to buy new towels and sheet. 

I file for reimbursement with Airbnb resolution department the day that the guests check out May 31st. and now July 10th. the claims person who handling my case had string me on, have me jumping through the hoops, asking me to forwarded supports documents and pictures so many times, as if they never even look at the documents I sent. 

And now Airbnb resolution parson is telling me I will only get $49.48 out of $270 claims, and said she is only processing for physical loss and physical damage, and not processing the extra cleaning invoice from my cleaning that I had to pay and forward to her, she will forward it to a difference department to resolve the extra cleaning issue! And I will hear from they soon! 

That was July 2nd! 

I am not sure what else to do, I am so angry! I am thinking about quitting Airbnb!

Ana1061
Level 2
San Juan, Puerto Rico

Hi. Still think there should be a security deposit like most places in USA has. Maybe $200 bucks won't pay replacement but it sure makes guests think twice before ruining places because it costs them money.  Everywhere I've stayed in USA they charge it on vacation rentals. Guests should be informed from day one about it so they decide what to do from the start. Just as we all search for our best offer that is economically feasible for a vacation.

Heather780
Level 2
Scotland, United Kingdom

Not sure if this belongs to the conversation but I am having a lot of trouble about security deposits. I have  a guest who wants to book but is being told by airbnb I have  set a securiy deposit and this isnt true. She wants to pay 100 deposit but is being told she must pay 150. I didnt set anything so What am I missing here?

Heather

Yvonne41
Level 10
Kirkland, WA

I have had very little luck with collecting on damages of any kind through the deposits, because if the guest doesn't admit to doing the damage, it's essentially voluntary for them to agree to pay. I have had to offset this by raising my rates and cleaning fees to reduce my risk some. Luckily, I have not had damage on Airbnb that I needed to use my insurance. But, I have had to use the VRBO $59 damage insurance to replace large damages and that by far pays for itself in terms of piece of mind. Airbnb really needs to offer this option.

Good Luck! It's heartbreaking to deal with serious damages as an owner of a home you present to the public and are proud of.

Meehyun0
Level 3
Lucas Valley-Marinwood, CA

Airbnb security deposit is a false security for hosts. They just burst that “trust bubble”.  What they don’t seem to understand is that you, the host is the backbone of their business model.  Act like it and Airbnb will act accordingly as well. Why do you think their IPO is valued at $30 billion!   

A solution for bad apple guests:  

If  guests who create havoc in your rental will not admit to their fault; you get nothing!  Nada! So then why have a security deposit?  I’m asking that myself.  

I have to think like  insurance companies who I hate more than lawyers sometimes. You need to charge more to cover for those 5% of bad experiences you will get.  So raise you rental rate to that amount.  I used to state their is $500 security deposit. Get rid of it add $5/daily rate and hopefully it works out by the years end.

If you have a great rental, any rental above 100 5 stars reviews, stop instant booking or vet every guests without a review like a hawk.  I ask all my local guest to send me their drivers licenses .  If they don’t, don’t rent to them period!  People who book Airbnb are not hotel bookers.  So they will jump through hoops to book your 5 star rental.  

Good luck to you all.  I think there should be a booking co-op site run by the 5 star hosts themselves.  Food for thought.

best, Meehyun

MeehyunK
Cha5
Level 2
Fort Walton Beach, FL

@Meehyun0 in 

California, United States, good advice and thank you so much for sharing your wisdoms. 
Cha

Cha5
Level 2
Fort Walton Beach, FL

My guest damage items in my condo, and I had submitted the claim to Airbnb the day after the guest left on May 31st 2021.

I summitted all the report pictures of the evident, invoice and receipt of the items I had to replace. to Airbnb help representative. After 14 days my request for reimbursement got transfer to another Agent Name Faa,  and this agent started a new case and wanted me to go though all the step of request for reimbursement again including upload all the claimed file evident picture etc. etc., saying she had create a web site for me to up load all the files evident and all the request again. When I click on the web site she had post for me to upload the request for reimbursement. I got a note said "something went wrong please "Refresh", and when I click on the "Refresh" nothing happen, it take me to no where!

Until today I have not gotten any reimbursement from Airbnb. The agent also said the request for reimbursement expire in 30 days. I got a feeling Airbnb do not want to reimburse me for the damage that the guests cost to my condo, and just stalling!

Dose anyone ever had any problems trying to get Airbnb Resolution to reimburse you for the damage the guest done to you place?

My Condo rule had $850 deposit request for them to except before booking, and I only request for $275 for extra cleaning services and to replace all items that are damaged.

I need advise from any one who ever try to make a claimed for damage the guest did to your place? Thank you. Cha5

It's useless trying to get Airbnb to pay for any damages. They ask you to jump through hoops and eventually denies your claim. I require a damage deposit in my account before I allow a guest to check in. They are less likely to damage your property if they know they will lose the deposit. Airbnb does not care that your property gets damaged and they won't pay for it.

Kyle476
Level 3
Poland, OH

I recently had a guest smoke in my bungalow. I therefore, had to have a company come and clean and deodorize the space. Guest refused to pay additional cleaning fees and airbnb said this does not quality under the host guarantee. I then said that i collect a security deposit for issues such as this. They then informed me that i am not allowed to collect on the security deposit as that can only be done when the host guarantee is approved. No approval should be needed to collect the security deposit that I collect for my individual listing… So my question why do we bother collecting a security deposit on our listing if we can’t collect it if we deem it necessary? 

Gerald592
Level 2
Alvin, TX

Why don't you guys contact the guests, make sure they are aware that a security deposit is required before check in and that they will not be allowed to check in without paying it and inform Airbnb that you need help getting that done. Guest are far less likely to lose that deposit by damaging your property.

Judith310
Level 2
New York, NY

You can also add "No Pets" to your house rules.  That should prevent damages from pets.  

Does anyone have issues with bad reviews from guests after filing Airbnb Request Money for damages?