Service Dog

Service Dog

I have a small lakeside condo and I allow pets. However the POA has firm rules regarding dogs… they must be on leash when outside the unit and are not allowed at the pool. Fines can be up to $300 per occurrence. 
A guest showed up at pool and demanded that they should be allowed to stay with their “service dog”… who was not leashed or under control of the owner. I now face fine from the POA and the guest has filed a complaint… which ABB has given me a warning.., So I can be stuck with fines even if I don’t allow dogs.. 

this guest never alerted me that a dog was coming. Never asked for a waiver of the policy…. I’m stuck between guest and fines. 

2 Replies 2
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

I don't know what you can do now but don't allow pets in the future, it may save you from fines.

Btw, why would you face the fine if this was not your dog and you didn't even know it is there?

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

What is your condo board's policy on service animals? Surely they must have one, and it's recognized that they are the exception to the rule, since they are not 'pets'? As regards Airbnb, the policy is clear on what expectations are regarding assistance animals,

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/1869/assistance-animals

A Host may ask a guest to remove a service animal if:

1. The animal is out of control and the animal’s handler does not take effective action to control it
  2. The animal is not housebroken

It doesn't sound like this was a legitimate service dog if it wasn't under the control of the owner.