Support for Hosts with Bloody Sheets

Sarah-and-Alex0
Level 10
Philadelphia, PA

Support for Hosts with Bloody Sheets

This is for hosts who have had guests bleed on (or ejaculate on, or whatever) their linens.  We've had this problem, and handle it in a straightforward way.  More on that below, including sample text (NB: You need to have a security deposit in place, and handle it the day of incident or checkout).   However, since we seem to feel differently about this than other hosts do, we wanted to share our thoughts and possibly encourage new hosts with the same problem.  

Someone else's period (or nosebleed, or shart, or ejaculation) is NOT your problem.  Practically speaking, a guest may refuse to be responsible for her or himself, and may rob you of your time or money (kind've making it your problem).  However, you do not need to feel like you're being unreasonable because you don't want to scrub someone else's fluids out of your linens.  If you're a female host, you can reject your bloody guest's request for solidarity and still be a feminist - she's stealing from you, and telling you to be OK with it because of your gender; that's not gender progress.  If you're a male host, you probably haven't heard this one - and you don't need to excuse this type of damage where you wouldn't excuse skid marks.  Period blood isn't morally dirty and taboo, it's just a bodily fluid that stains, so you don't need to feel awkward asking your guest to reimburse you.  A gendered argument for the host just accepting these costs, where other types of damage are more readily reimbursed, is totally retrogressive. 

So basically, just because a very small minority of guests who cause stains (a small number already) steal your time or money by refusing to be responsible for themselves, doesn't mean you're crazy for not wanting to scrub out their stains.  If you're willing to do it, by all means, but the first time this happened, we called Airbnb Superhost Support to ask for advice, and they seemed **horrified** by the idea that we would do anything but burn blood-stained sheets.  

TLDR:  Don't treat women and men differently - have a security deposit, demonstrate clear boundaries, and ask guests to honor them. 

HOW TO REVIEW THE BLEEDER:  With great civility and honesty.  

If the damage is reimbursed graciously, "We had a small issue with a stain, but Lady Guest was completely gracious about reimbursing us for the cost.  Since we understand that these things happen, and given how politely she handled the whole thing, we'd certainly recommend her to other hosts."  

If the guest refuses, "While Grotesque Bleeding Guest seemed like a cool person, I cannot recommend that other Hosts welcome her into their homes.  She refused to reimburse us for the sheets that she ruined, after agreeing at the time of booking to approve documented charges for damage to our security deposit.  This is a great breach of the trust we have in the Airbnb community, so we hope other Hosts will be able to avoid the same problems that we had with Grotesque Guest."

NOTE:  Airbnb's algorithms seem to give us more InstantBookings when we give fewer guests the dreaded Thumbs Down, so we started reserving the thumbs down for the most truly egregious guests and save most feedback for the comments. 

STEPS FOR MAKING THIS EASIER IN THE FUTURE (again, you need to have a security deposit on your listing before the guest books)

1.  We always include a note in our welcome message that if linens are stained, they'll be charged against the security deposit.  

2.  We send the guest a message telling her/him:

"Hi, thanks again for staying with us!  It looks like there are some stains on the sheets, and for everyone's health and safety, stained sheets need to be disposed of.  Luckily, Airbnb's security deposit system makes it easy to add the replacement cost to your booking after we provide documentation.  We've had this happen a few times, and guests are always gracious in handling it.  If you'll approve the security deposit charges when we submit them, we'll be all set.  Thanks again, and all the best!"

3.  Photograph stains (including tag if possible/relevant - our sheets are Ralph Lauren, so that tag makes a difference)  🙂

4.  Submit a security deposit claim ("Request Damages" or "Resolve an Issue" button I think) including photos, a polite note, and a link to the replacement cost online or a photo of the receipt.

Airbnb does not make it very clear, but guests do not appear to be compelled to approve the charges.  We once had a guest refuse to pay for the sheets, and we ended up making a claim to Airbnb, which paid us 80% of the cost, and then we experienced a serious drop in bookings for that listing (only for the one of 2 identical listings for which we submitted the claim to Airbnb).  We do NOT recommend submitting this type of claim, just in case Airbnb is penalizing hosts who pursue claims for damages that the guests refuse to pay.  

67 Replies 67
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Wow...and to think all we did was add a bit of stain remover and called it an accident and one of the natural perils of hosting!

everyone to their own but throwing out sheets just because of one bodily fluids seems excessive...at that rate it would seem to be. Enter to throw them away after each single use, just in case..

Just a difference of preference, I suppose.  🙂  I found that a lot of hosts feel the way you folks do, so I thought I'd share my thoughts.  We offer a space that's overall a bit above local market standards for a comparable price, so we've just decided to be comfortable with being willing to do a different amount than other hosts - more in some areas, perhaps less in others!  

I agree you are unlikely to get anything through the Host Guarantee.

Also intrigued as to your success rate through the Resolution Center, I was expecting it to be very low.

David

Happily we received nearly a full reimbursement from Airbnb after the guest refused to pay, but we saw such a stark drop in bookings immediately afterwards (compared to the other, identical room in which we host) that we worried Airbnb was penalizing hosts who press for reimbursement by Airbnb.  

In terms of successful resolutions, we find it's effective to set clear boundaries (noting that we charge for stains in the welcome message), sending a friendly message if there's damage, and making sure guests know that the expectation (ie standard set by other guests) is to graciously accept the charges.  Most folks are lovely about it!  We're also meticulous about documenting both the damage and replacement costs, and usually handle it the same day. 

Absolutely-it was a bit of a tongue in cheek reply, but I'd love to know how often you do this and is it successful. In a year and a half of hosting we had just one minor 'accident' 

We've had maybe a half dozen bleeding / body fluid incidents in the last year of hosting - most were super gracious about accepting the charges, and more apologetic than even I thought was necessary!  Only once did someone refuse, and was rude on top, which was when we worked with Airbnb to recover the cost.  We had one incident where the guest wanted to come over and try to wash the sheets herself, but we weren't able to be home, so when we reminded her that most guests are super polite about these issues, she accepted the charges.  

Just as a general reference, we charge for the whole sheet set unless we can get a replacement for just the fitted sheet, since we often have Ralph Lauren prints that would look a little too DIY if mixed with other sets.  Some hosts prefer to get mix and matchable sets, but we find so many guests so enjoy our linens that we're sticking with the patterns for now.  🙂  We rarely do anything about pillowcases as we get lots of extras, unless someone has clearly used it to remove makeup or something unusually careless.  

Do you realize that all you have to do is soak the sheets in cold water? Blood comes right out.

I would never review a guest based on having a period accident.

Hi Dee, as I mentioned, I made this post because I've noticed that we handle this issue differently than some other hosts, and I wanted to shed some light on how we do things for hosts who feel the way we do. 

As general information for you and the community, the first time a guest bled on the sheets, we called in to Superhost Support to seek their guidance.  They told us that handling bodily fluids is a health hazard, and that we should throw the sheets away, not attempt to clean them ourselves. 

Regarding your thoughts on not reviewing a guest for staining the sheets, we may just have a difference of opinion.  Most of our guests leave our place in fantastic shape, and it seems unfair to the community as a whole not to point out guests who show less care to other hosts - we have declined bookings based on reviews from hosts who said the guest didn't treat their home with consideration.  Others may feel differently! 

I believe that AirBnB contract out the handling of their call center, hopefully the obvious things would obtain a common response, this sort of situation I am sure would vary considerably.

David

how about purple hair dye?  I can't use bleach without starting holes that will grow over time.

Gerry-And-Rashid0

Please let me know what stain remover you're using.  I spent the entire day applying stain remover, clorox2 and scrubbing, to no avail.  then soaked it all in Oxy Clean 4 hours, still it remained.  this was no small dot, its been smeared from pillow case to bottom of the sheets - even included the comforter in her nasty bio-hazard spill.  Bath towels also got streaked.  

You can't excuse and normalize this kind of behaviour.  It was not an accident!

it may be a peril of hosting but its far from natural.  

Louise-And-Jason0
Level 2
Victoria, Canada

Thank you for this Kate and Alex! I came on here looking for something completley different, but this has been very helpful. 🙂

We've only had a small issue with this, but having to replace king-sized bedding can get costly, and it's nice to have some guidance.

Thank you for your tips in dealing with a problem in a head-on, straightforward and friendly way - you're communication experts!

Thanks so much for your kind words, and I'm so glad the post was helpful!  It certainly is expensive to replace quality bedding, and our feeling is that it doesn't make sense to charge every guest more to cover yourself against the rare instance when a guest ruins something and declines to take responsibility for it - as I mentioned, most of the folks who have stained linens graciously accepted the replacement charges immediately and with sincere apology for inconveniencing us (it really is an amazing community overall).  

Dee9
Level 10
Moriches, NY

One word: WOW

Consider it operating costs of running a business.

Send them a picture?? My god - how embarrassing. Why not humilate them a little more and post it on social media.

WOW