Tenant Broke Storm Door

Teresa1585
Level 3
Bakersville, NC

Tenant Broke Storm Door

Guest told us he got mad and broke the storm door. He said he’d replace the door and have it installed. Now he wants to install it himself. I have no knowledge of his skills. So far I’m his 29 day stay he doesn’t seem very knowledgeable about anything. I don’t want him to install it and hurt the door jams. Can I tell him no and that he needs to have an experienced  maintenance man install it? We did give him a name and number and he originally set a date for him to come. 

2 Replies 2
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Teresa1585  Yes, of course you can insist that a qualified person does it. But depending on how the door needs to be installed, it might be a simple thing that almost anyone could do, like if it's just a matter of unscrewing the hinges and screwing the new door onto them.  I'd be more concerned about him damaging the floor by scraping the new door on it while trying to hang it. 

Honestly, a guest who breaks things because he can't control his anger is a guest whose booking I would seriously consider trying to cut short.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

No you should manage the replacement charging the guest through Airbnb. @Teresa1585 

I wouldn't be continuing to host a guest who damaged my property because of his bad temper.