Terrible Experience - Host promised us full refund, now refuses

Heajin0
Level 2
New York, United States

Terrible Experience - Host promised us full refund, now refuses

Here was my experience with my booking:

Initially, when we first got in, we opened the windows in the living room since there was no AC in the living room and many bugs came out of the windows, I let the host know this. We did not wear shoes inside to the request of the host and the listing said slippers would be provided but they were not and floor was very dirty, as we saw our feet were very dirty from walking barefoot. Then we realized the toilet was barely flushing. The water could handle only liquids and it was flushing very slowly. We could not use it.

Then the Wifi was not available. I contacted the host about this and she told me that it was not available but she was coming to set it up the next day. Then we realized the stove was not working. I also contacted the host for this she later told me that the gas company has not turned on the gas for this stove and that they could not come within the time for our trip. On Saturday morning after a couple of us took a shower the ceiling was leaking in the floor below it. Saturday morning, a representative came from Comcast to set up the Wifi, that we were not aware of. The host did not notify us that someone would be coming to set it up only that she would drop off the box for the Wifi.

Then the hosts sent someone to check out the toilet and stove and ceiling leaking. We initially were going to stay at the home because it was raining but it seemed that many people were going to have to come in and out if the house to fix the many things so we left. I was quite disappointed because we had wanted to stay in but did not want to be disrupted by people constantly coming in and out to fix things. When we came back around 5 o clock that day, the toilet and leaking ceiling were fixed. However the Wifi was not working and neither was the stove. The TV that was initially not there was also installed but not working because the Wifi was not working.

The host told me that she was working to get a griddle and electric stove for us. She arrived at the house around 2 and a half hours later with a griddle and electic stove top and the Wifi box. As we started cooking we plugged both the griddle and electric stove top in but every 15 minutes or so the entire power would go out in the house. We would then have to manually downstairs and turn the circuit on and off. The host was in the house as this was going on. She was also trying to get the Wifi set up but was unsuccessful. She said she would get us a 100% refund and speak to her mom about it.

So the day we check out the host texts me saying she will update me but after 12 pm I cannot get in contact with her. Her phone is off and she is not replying to any of my messages. She then messages me that she can only get me a $50 refund. I contact Airbnb, they say that I have to request a refund and just wait 72 hours for the resolution center to help me. Is there any way to hold this host accountable? If she had not promised us the refund we would've left at that point because that was just beyond ridiculous and I've been trying to get in contact with her since then and she is dodging all my calls and messages. I am so upset and I have had a bad experience with the resolution center before hand so I would like to know what else I can do. Please help!

16 Replies 16

@Heajin0  Hi, you will still need to deal with the resolution center or via your account in resolutions. Your stay is over and the resolution center can negotiate your refunds etc. You need proof of photos of discomfort during your stay. That particular host sounds like she should have snooze her listing while things were not working in the apartment, usually the host alert the guest prior to the stay and have you relocated by sirbnb.  Its really best to deal with the airbnb resolution center, they are experience in this and deals with it every minute worldwide! 

Heajin, I don't know how many days you stayed in her apt and if you actually completed your full booking days. It could come across as unreasonable to demand a full discount should you completed your full stay. I checked your profile and in few years you only have one review. Did you have more reviews prior?. Let us know so we can help you!

Heajin0
Level 2
New York, United States

sHi  @Syl11 thank you for the response.

We were the first people to book her home and the host did not thoroughly check to see if everything was working before our arrival. She actually came to our home during the stay and saw all of these issues happen. She did fix the toilet and the leaking but she told us the gas company did not turn on the gas yet and that they could not come till our stay was over. When the stove was not working and she brought us electric stoves and the power kept shutting down every 15 minutes and she could not get the wifi to work for us, she was the one that brought up the full refund. We did not ask for the full refund at that time and she was the one who had brought it up and said she will get it for us. 

I was at the home from Friday night (when all the issues occurred and I contacted the host about all of it) till Sunday morning. Saturday morning the host had many people in and out of the house to fix the various issues and then Saturday night was when the host brought us the electric stovetops and she saw that the power was shutting down and also she was on the phone with the internet company and could not get the wifi to work. That was when she brought up and offered the full refund and said she would get it for us. 

It is very unfair that I cannot hold this host to her word because if she had not offered us the refund we would've called Airbnb right then and there and tried to get relocated or figured it out. The issues persisted from the beginning of our stay till the end, (Sunday morning the power was still going in and out as we were cooking breakfast and getting ready to check out)

I have not used Airbnb often, I have been on multiple Airbnb stays but have not been the one to book the stay.  Thank you for all your help, I really appreciate it!

@Heajin0  Its fine, you simply need to advise resolution center she is a new host having issues with stove/bathrooms/amenities not working. Sounds like a bad experience on both sides as she runs around trying to fix things, organising trades people as well. You may try for some compensation, however you may need to realise you may not beable to get your full refund by now. Next time, simply vacate and ask airbnb help to relocate you. Its always a learning experience with airbnb, its not always rosy! I have been a guest in airbnb nyc and other states, and sometimes you wish you never booked some of these stays but ....I never book long stays incase the place is a dump! its a hit and miss....sorry for your really bad experience!

Let us know what resolution center decides.

(For other airbnb guests reading this, don't place such high expectations in your various airbnbs, if the place is excellent, you are lucky!)

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Syl11  I don't think a guest expecting the stove, toilet, TV and Wifi to be in working condition qualifies as "high expectations". Not to mention the leak over the shower.

@Sarah977  Sorry for the misunderstanding, I mean in general, not this particular place! Yes its a very bad experience and just have to negotiate in resolutions. 

(For other airbnb guests reading this, don't place such high expectations in your various airbnbs, if the place is excellent, you are lucky!)

Why shouldnt we put high expectations. I never tend to book new places....but in general: i book - i pay - i should receive quality. 

People running an airbnb are running a business....no matter what the countries regulations are or the background of host. They should unlist people like the one listing a **bleep**ty property

@Ellen33  Too high expectations can lead to dissapointments. Some places are cute, some places are clean, some are located in noise filled streets whereby one can't zzzzzzsleep!! you don't know until you enter and stay in someones home, entire or share. 

I'm generalizing that its not going to be perfect, if it is perfect, you are lucky.

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

Hi @Heajin0 ,

I think You should get a full refund. Flat out, this hostess just don't have her act together. She should never have started to rent before checking that everything is working. There is no excuse for this chaos.

airbnb should pause this listing until the hostess can prove everything is working.

And You @Heajin0 did nothing wrong and proved to be very patient.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Heajin0  Sometimes when you are traveling you put up with problems in your accommodations because you want to focus on the reason you are traveling.  I think you were more than patient with this host and felt she was being responsive and all would get better.  That did not happen and the quality of your travelling was greatly impacted.  I think you should get a refund as well.  However, you did get something for your stay so perhaps you would consider a particial refund.  Hopefully all your communication was through the Air BNB message system so the representative has proof that the host acknowledged the problems.

If you have not contact Air BNB, here is a guide for doing so.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165#M728

Good luck!

Heajin0
Level 2
New York, United States

Thank you all for your great replies. I have contacted the resolution center in hopes that it will work out. Thanks again all!

Best,

Heajin

Heajin0
Level 2
New York, United States

I have been trying to discuss with the host but she has said that she can only offer a $50 refund and that it is final. As I try to discuss with her that she was the one who had offered us the full refund in the first place, she has apparently turned off her messages? I am unable to send her any messages and when I try to send it says failed? Can anyone explain what this means? I am trying to discuss with her about the situation but she will not even let me message her anymore.Screen Shot 2018-08-08 at 10.20.42 AM.png

Heajin0
Level 2
New York, United States

Also, the host keeps saying that she went above and beyond to accommodate me and my friends, but I truly don't see it as accommodating when she was trying to fix or install everything that the listing already said would be ready for use.

She felt that she accommodated us highly when she was trying to fix issues that should not have been occurring in the first place. When she told us the gas company hadn't connected the gas to the stove, she brought us electric stoves because we had planned to cook the whole trip and the listing said there was a fully equipped and ready kitchen available. I don't really see this as going above and beyond to be accommodating since we had expected for the stove to be working. Similarly with the toilet and wifi etc.

Can you guys give me some advice? Does this count as accommodating when so many amenities the listing said would be ready for use were not and she had to fix them? 

@Heajin0  It doesn't matter what we as hosts think about what is fair in terms of the outcome of your claim with Air BNB.  What matters is that you have the messages in the Air BNB message system and that you follow the policies for making a claim for a refund.  To continue to communicate with the host and insist she do what she has already stated she will not do is to harrass her and is counter productive to what you want to accomplish.  You did make a claim, right?  Now you have to be patient as Air BNB reviews the communication and negotiates with the host.

@Linda108  The host obviously reported her to block her on the AirBnB messaging system. 

@Heajin0 I would at this point call AirBnB and ask them to escalate your case immediately. Reporting you was a crappy move on the hosts part, so you have no means of notigating with her anymore. Do not talk or text with her off the AirBnB messaging system either. 

AirBnB number:

United States and Canada

+1-415-800-5959
+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)