Unfair guest review

Answered!
Aaron774
Level 2
Fishers, IN

Unfair guest review

Hello everyone. 

I have been a host for about 3 years with multiple properties.  I am a superhost with an overall rating of 4.93 and I work hard to provide exceptional service to all guests.  I have hosted about 1300 people.  I think I have received only one review that gave my property a 3.  Very rarely I will receive a 4.  Never any lower.  I recently had a guest who checked into my property, stayed literally 5 minutes and then promptly left never to return.  She didn't even contact me until more than 24 hours after check in to say she wasn't staying.  In order to justify to Airbnb that she needed her money back, she told them that she witnessed a "drug deal" near the house and didn't feel safe so she had to leave.  I question that she witnessed anything.  This house has been an Airbnb for over 1 year with 77 reviews.  All of this is fine with me.  If a guest, for any reason, doesn't feel safe, they don't have to stay in the neighborhood or the house.  This house is near downtown Indianapolis, IN near Lucas Oil Stadium where the Indianapolis Colts play.  But, this guest decided to take the nuclear option.  She accused me of deception on my listing.  She complained to Airbnb and she left a review with 1s in all categories plus very negative language.  I currently have 4 Airbnb properties with another coming online very soon.  The house's overall rating went from 4.93 to 4.88 just with this single review.  How is this fair that someone who stays literally 5 minutes in the house can have such a huge impact on my business?   BTW, I haven't had another booking since this review was left.  I did leave a response to her review but in my opinion it is worthless.  The damage is already done and everyone looks at the rating number and the guest review.  I would like Airbnb to remove this unfair review.  Has anyone had any success on getting Airbnb to make sure that the review process is fair to both guests and hosts?  I even offered this guest a FULL REFUND to remove her review, but she ignored me.  I am curious what experience other hosts have had.

1 Best Answer

@Aaron774   Yikes, I'm afraid you might have put yourself in a bit of a bind by offering money in exchange for a different review outcome. That is considered review extortion, and strictly against the rules:

This policy prohibits:

• Hosts requiring a guest to leave a positive review or rating, or to revise a review in exchange for a partial or full refund, or a reciprocal review. Hosts also cannot offer a free or discounted stay in exchange for a guest revising an existing review.

You probably don't want to rock the boat on this one or try to get removed, as this will draw attention to the fact that you violated the extortion policy.  The review is unfair, for sure - not like you can be held responsible for things the guest believes she witnessed in your neighborhood - but I think it would be immediately clear to anyone considering your listing that this one was an anomaly, and that your guest was a total Karen. 

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4

@Aaron774   Yikes, I'm afraid you might have put yourself in a bit of a bind by offering money in exchange for a different review outcome. That is considered review extortion, and strictly against the rules:

This policy prohibits:

• Hosts requiring a guest to leave a positive review or rating, or to revise a review in exchange for a partial or full refund, or a reciprocal review. Hosts also cannot offer a free or discounted stay in exchange for a guest revising an existing review.

You probably don't want to rock the boat on this one or try to get removed, as this will draw attention to the fact that you violated the extortion policy.  The review is unfair, for sure - not like you can be held responsible for things the guest believes she witnessed in your neighborhood - but I think it would be immediately clear to anyone considering your listing that this one was an anomaly, and that your guest was a total Karen. 

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

Hi @Aaron774 ,

I am sorry to hear about your experience with the guest and understand you're frustrated.

You're not alone. I've over a dozen untrue, unfair and revenge review.

Obviously, this is an unfair review!

The guest left a 1 * star review for not experience hospitality.

Airbnb reviews system? It out of your hand!

Letting you know that reviews are the backbone of Airbnb's community and in order to maintain that structure Airbnb have guidelines in place that ensure all reviews are fair, honest and relevant to the travel and experience.

Airbnb's default position is not to delete, censor, or edit reviews.

With that being said, in rare cases like this, Airbnb may remove a review only if it violates the review guidelines.

Nevertheless, recently @Ross648 success to remove the negative review,

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Negative-Review-removed-when-guest-cancelled-after-check...

You may consider contacting the Airbnb Support Help Team,

As a link below,
How do I remove a review I disagree with?

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/32/can-i-remove-or-respond-to-a-review-i-disagree-with

Review standards system?  

It doesn't make sense.

Good Luck!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Aaron774  I'm so sorry to hear about your awful guest but why oh why would you offer the guest a full refund in exchange for not leaving a negative review. 

As a highly experienced host you know that Airbnb views this as extortion and could have kicked you off the platform for doing so.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Aaron774  her plans obviously have changed and she knew if she cancels before check-in she will lose the money. So she decided to check in and then play her game to get a refund. She is not the only one who tried this scenario. And when/if it doesn't work she was pissed and gave you a bad review and low rating.

Is it unfair - yes. Did we try to change Airbnb policies and fight the review system numerous times till now? - Yes, we did. Unfortunately without success... for now.

My policy is to refund my guests if they can't or don't want to stay for any reason. I don't want to host unhappy guests. Fortunately, it doesn't happen often and the average stay in Zagreb is just 2 nights so it's not a big deal. I understand it's a problem for hosts in areas where the season is short and stays are longer.