Unreasonable cleaning extra charge

James1559
Level 1
Santa Clarita, CA

Unreasonable cleaning extra charge

I recently checked out of my 1st Airbnb stay. The next day I get a call from the host asking an extra $90 because the home required extra cleaning. I was beyond shocked! I stayed at the home for 2 months & I tried to tidy up, but I wasn’t going to leave it sparkingling clean. I left a couple of boxes by the front door so they could easily throw them away. The host sent me pictures & they are ridiculous! One of the pictures is the dining room table with a handprint & another is ONE razor left in the bathroom. Before I left the home, I even washed all the towels & dried them. I don’t understand how a host can have the audacity to ask for extra money. Mind you when I 1st checked into the home I had no A/C for 2 weeks! I also found rat feces under the sink. I didn’t make a big deal out of it because I understand things can happen, but now I’m thinking I should of. I’m not quite sure what to do especially because I have a 2nd booking with them again for a month. Back story I needed a place to stay for 3 months due to work. 

5 Replies 5

Did you pay a cleaning deposit in the first place? If so, you might remind them of that and also tell them that you laundered their towels in an effort to leave their property in good condition. Show your good faith by apologizing for leaving the razor and missing the handprint. Tell them that you fully expected to tidy up but did not believe that you were to assume the duties of getting it completely ready for the next guest. Suggest to them that you will take more time to look around for any items left behind on your next visit. Do not be accusatory or impolite and see how they respond. 

I would think that they might let it slide if you have another booking.  If they cancel your 2nd booking when and if you refuse to pay extra for cleaning, they will be fined for cancellation. It's in their best financial interest to settle this with you amicably. If on the other hand, there were more issues than you stated, they may find it in their best interest to let you walk.

Thank you for the advice. I ended up telling them that I was only willing to pay off the amount they were requesting. However, they ended up cancelling my 2nd reservation 2 days before check in. They didn’t face any consequences because they are instant book. So they can still book the days I had originally & don’t pay a penalty. I am beyond disappointed on Airbnb. Now I have to scramble to look for a place & there is nothing in the area around my budget. 

sorry to hear this.  We had 3 people stay with us for 6+weeks.  We cleaned the house once a week, and only included a one time cleaning fee. We didn't want to have a mess in the end.

Going forward make sure to ask for clarification on cleaning before hand.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

I am trying to take a comprehensive view based upon my experience as a renter/guest and a host.  Whenever I have rented a place, short or long-term, I inform the host/property owner of any deficiencies straight away, even if I don't want to request any assistance with remedying the situation.  I  also make a point to not leave a place in worse condition than when I moved in.   

How much was your cleaning fee or deposit?  What did the house rules say about cleaning up?  I don't think the host asked $90 more just for the couple of items that you mentioned, but I do have some questions about what you've stated.

When the air conditioner wasn't working, was there already in place, or did you request an alternate means to cool the place (e.g., ceiling fan, floor fan, screened windows and doors that can remain open while occupying the space)?  If the answer is no, and the weather was uncomfortable, please explain why you did not seek a means to cool the space. 

What was inside of the boxes and why did you leave them for the host to throw away?  Was there a reason why you couldn't take the boxes to the garbage bin/drop of location or dispose of them yourself?

Used razors present a potential biohazard.  You should have disposed of it in a manner so no one could cut themselves, or be exposed bodily fluids or chemicals (depending upon how it was used).  I know the rat feces was gross, and unhealthy, but I personally would have felt extremely uncomfortable cleaning up a razor.

Normally, hand prints appear as smudges, and are difficult to discern with a normal camera lense.  So, was there anything on your hand that allowed a hand print to be visable and easily photographed? Did that hand print cause any damage to the table's finish?  Were there other visible hand prints left behind?

During your two months stay, did you normally wash the towels, or did the host provide fresh ones to you on a regular basis?  Did it take significant extra effort to wash the towels before your departure, or did you just throw them in with your personal laundry?  Did you have to go to the laundry mat or use special detergeant or fabric softener to wash and dry the towels?

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@James1559  Well, it's really hard for anyone here to know how you left the place. Did you clean the stove top and the counters? Leave the floor clean? Was the bathroom clean or a mess? 

It would be unusual for a host to decline a second booking from you if you left the place reasonable. Perhaps you have a different idea of what leaving a place clean means than others do.