What are your complimentary beverages and snacks that you extend to guests?

Rosalind41
Level 8
Abbeville, SC

What are your complimentary beverages and snacks that you extend to guests?

Hi fellow hosts!!!

What are your complimentary beverages and snacks that you extend to guests? How much do you spend on these?

Thanks and ciao,

Roz in South Carolina, USA

39 Replies 39

I agree, @Sarah977 my question may not have been worded correctly.  I didn't want to ask anyone about their prices and the %-age of the earnings that their beverage and food costs are.  @Emily487 did offer some idea of expenses.  If anyone else wants to or does not want to offer their expenses and/or their eannings than the generality of the question works.  We are just starting up, not doing badly at all for a couple of rookies.  I agree with your last 2 statements about affordability.

I am referring to 'complimentary' not mentioned food/beverages in any amenities section or house manual.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Rosalind41 

I have never actually worked it out in terms of cost per guest.  But what we offer are coffee, teas, spices, vinegar/oil, usually either an instant oatmeal or a ramen noodle, and for guests who stay more than 3 days we almost always leave them something on their last night, croissants/small cake/other pastry, that costs between 3-5 dollars.

I have to argue against bottled water, it is wasteful and unnecessary, especially in the U.S.  If you feel the need to leave water buy a brita or other filtered pitcher and leave that in the fridge.  We also sometimes leave a sparkling juice for guests.

@Mark116  The purpose of leaving a couple of bottled water are for guests to reuse the bottles when they need to bring water with them outside. Not many people travel with a water bottle with them in the luggage.

Good point, but I have had nothing but wasteful guests in regard to water and utilities.  If they can't keep those in check, then it is very unlikely that they are going to re-use water bottles.  I'm going with a pitcher of water in the frig from now on.  Additionally, the water in this town is seriously, crazy, state-of-the-art, uber-clean.  Tap water from the faucet here is better than bottled anyway.  

@Rosalind41  In my self check-in message or when I greet the guests. I told them to re-use the water bottle when they need to get cold filtered water from the fridge door to bring with them.

For many guests, after a long trip, cold water would be very good for them after they arrive.

I agree with not providing bottled water (unless it’s in a glass bottle)

Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

@Rosalind41 

I have water, tea and coffee available. Then one day I left out some homemade cookies. Those got mentioned in the review....now I leave a few cookies for each new guest. So be careful what you start offering.  😕

Hi Beth,

I agree!  @Beth80 .  I like the idea of a pitcher of cold water in the refrigerator and to stop the wasteful plastic water bottles.  Cookies are good enough for me, I can't afford any of the other items and the amount of the item given compimentary.  I suppose it has a lot do with pricing and location too.

Rosalind41
Level 8
Abbeville, SC

Now that's a good idea @Mike1034 

Jody79
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Rosalind41 We thought about offering items such as fruit and yogurt, but I was reading about how much other hosts were throwing away because guests weren't eating them.  We opted instead to go with the non-perishable snacks to reduce the waste.  We purchase all of our snacks in bulk at Costco, so it doesn't cost too much per booking.  The biggest cost was when we first started out, now it's just replenishing as they are used up.  Guests really do appreciate snacks, we've had it mentioned in reviews a lot.  We also rent an apartment in our basement, so it's easy for us to do this.

Paul62
Level 2
Santa Rosa, CA

Our pricing comparison is with the finest boutique hotels in the vicinity and we exceed expectations while being about 20% below hotel prices.  The three bedrooms in our 1876 Victorian accommodate up to 6 people.  Rates for three bedrooms per night are as high as $545/night.  We provide an impressive list of amenities including filtered water in chilled carafes in each room with more in the refrigerator with bottled water on request.  We have a drawer in the guest bathroom stocked with items they may have forgotten like (all new in packages) nail clippers, toothpaste/toothbrush, shavers, bandaids, plastic bags, aspirin/Tylenol and more available free of charge.  Guests can and do use us like the concierges we are trained to be.  (We love being of service!)  We really try to incorporate as many holistic and environmentally supportive touches like essential oil infused linens and towels, a cinnamon infused ambiance, and a super clean home supporting our obviously high standards.  We bought the home for our dog, Bello.  He runs the place with love and dedication unmatched by any other canine - a loving experience that fascinates our guests and becomes part of their adventure.  Guest reviews usually mention the luxurious sleep experience, the wonderfully fresh food offered for breakfast, and Bello - check us out!

As trained Tourism Ambassadors we help with suggestions, maps and guidebooks to support chosen itineraries.  We caution guests about drinking and driving and are incredibly supportive of our local neighborhood and the welfare of our community overall.  We will call and arrange special treatment from the businesses we know in the area (we do not take kick-backs or spiffs).  There are about 80 restaurants within 1000 steps of Casa Bello. We allow guests to borrow towels, backpacks, picnic baskets, coolers, binoculars or whatever is within reason to make the experience unforgettable and friction-free.

We have confidentially standards so our guests' images or names are not shared on social media or guest books or anything unless they make those posts themselves.  We have hosted many business leaders, politicians, entertainment personalities and probably a handful of rogues with money.

We offer a continental breakfast of fresh baked croissants from the bakery a block away, yogurt, coffee, tea, and juice.  Did you say "almond milk preferred" - we'll provision that for you - just ask! Fruit is available 24/7.  Some of our guests like to cook so they may use our kitchen and feel free to use our spices, high grade cooking oils, etc. with the food that they purchase.  (One group brought their personal chef.) Guests may request special food and treats and they usual offer to pay for atypical items.  Upon arrival we may share a bottle of local IPA or glass of wine if they have had a tough travel day to unwind from.  We also provide iced tea or make some fresh lemonade from the lemons we pick from the tree in the garden. Usually our guests leave wonderful gifts for us of artwork, fine wine, autographed books and more.  Many of our guests travel here to enjoy world-class wine, beer, spirits, and cannabis so we oblige by providing premium stemware, cutting board/knife, smoking accessories and curated gardens and patios for their enjoyment (no smoking inside Casa Bello allowed).  (Knock on wood) but we have received only 5-star reviews for the past 37 months of our 4 year history. We received a couple 4-star reviews when we first opened when we were perfecting our business processes and description.  We have increased our prices substantially since launch, but of course prices vary depending on demand.  We have had many guests return.  We will extend discounts to fellow hosts traveling to Sonoma County, so please mention that you are fellow hosts when inquiring about a stay at Casa Bello.  Overall, expense for guests' consumables is about 5 - 8% of the revenue.

Wow !!! Good tips! Thank you !!! 

Rosalind41
Level 8
Abbeville, SC

Yes @Paul62 , that is truly quite impressive.  Lols of idea takeaways for me!  I'd like to look at your listing Cas Bello.  Do I look under Sonoma County?

thanks!

Visit our website, the links go the appropriate Airbnb booking page.  www.casabello432.com.  We will be updating our website to incorporate what we have learned and changes during the last 18 months.  We are always changing to meet our needs and the feedback from our guests.

One area we will be expanding is how we present opportunities from businesses within walking distance (restaurants, brewery's, pubs, galleries, shopping, personal and business services) as well as the hundreds of other quality places to go, and adventures to be experienced.  We have around 450 wine tasting rooms in our County, for instance, alongside countless City, regional, and State parks.  The Sonoma Coast is a National Sanctuary. We envision having generous gift bags filled with high perceived value enticements for our guests.  We have been enjoying a wonderful strategic relationship with the organic latex mattress manufacturer Nest Bedding.  They provided premium mattresses and pillows for our rooms and many of our guests have gone on to purchase Nest Bedding online based on their sleep experience.  I don't believe Nest Bedding offers this program for hosts any longer, but perhaps they will again or other companies might.

We will also be expanding information about our art and natural history collections.  Some is on display at Casa Bello, yet more is hidden away.  An on-line catalogue may be useful with the option for guests to order items for viewing during their stay and possible purchase through our broker. 

We are also looking to support other hosts that offer similar experiences to their guests so we expand our knowledge base for our guests when they are traveling to other places.  Our guests spend an average of 90 days out the year traveling.  However, approximately 40% of our guests have never booked over the Airbnb platform before.  

You may be interested in viewing my brother's Linkedin page as he is the on-site manager for our family.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/ericfraserum 

@Rosalind41  You can see anyone's listings here by clicking on their profile photo, which takes you to their community profile page, then click on "view profile". You will then see thumbnails of their listings on their profile page, and can click on them to see the full listing.