What the hell is with so many people cancelling even though dates are available?

Eric301
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

What the hell is with so many people cancelling even though dates are available?

We've been staying in Copenhagen for a week and are trying to book two weeks in Madrid. In both of these cities we've gone through a minimum of 5 AirBnBs now that have shown their dates are available but end up messaging us that they are not. This has taken a LOT of research to find places to stay, pick the dates, and it takes time to wait around a day each (right up to the 24 hr limit) for them to respond. What the hell Europe? And AirBnB is not doing a very good job at QA in terms of people doing this.

All around such a great service otherwise which has allowed us to meet and stay and see new places. Most people in cities up until now have been amazing and prompt (anywhere in US, Paris and Amsterdam), but that's definitely not the case for other cities. Am I just missing something?

2 Replies 2
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Eric301

I see you are also a host and have great reviews as a host and as a guest. I also see you are leaving nice reviews to other hosts so it can not be your fault.

Forget Spain, come to Croatia 🙂 we are keeping our calendars updated hehe

Haha.. maybe we will have to stop by there then. We'll let you know.. thanks for response. Just not sure if we're missing something but it doesn't seem like it. I feel like some cities maybe just leave their dates open until they get a request vs. actively blocking out dates.

It makes me not want to trust insta-booking either especially when you see that hosts have cancelled a lot. Superhosts seem to be the only way to find actual places to stay in some cities 😞