Where to pay Tax? Renting in one country, getting payed out in another.

Sonia723
Level 2
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Where to pay Tax? Renting in one country, getting payed out in another.

Hi! Can anyone please help me regarding where to pay taxes, The Netherlands or Sweden? I have occasionally been renting my room in my apartment that I live in in The Netherlands, earning about 4850€. I am registered there as well as in Sweden and the payments have been payed out to a Swedish account. In my profile on Airbnb it says that my VAT-country is Sweden. How do I know where to do the tax? Where the apartment is and where I lived, or where the money have been payed out? Grateful for any help! 

1 Reply 1
Ton11
Level 4
Barcelona, Spain

Hello Sonia,

As far as I know, the VAT applied does not depend only on the payout method that you have, but on various factors of your personal data on your account.

The determination of Airbnb of what country the VAT is applied for depends on available information on your account. This can be your phone number, your IP address, your Government ID, your payout mehtod and if you have a possible verified VAT ID.

If Airbnb states that they calculate the VAT according to Sweden, than the information on your account has one or more of the before mentioned factors in Sweden.

If you believe that the VAT is being paid according to the wrong country of residence, best you give them a call so they can study the possibility to change this.