Wifi outage

Autumn84
Level 1
La Mirada, CA

Wifi outage

Hello everyone,

I have a guest who checked into my property yesterday and is staying a total of 8 nights. My property is an HOA property at the MGM Signature in Las Vegas. The guest has reported the WiFi has been out since he has arrived and it’s very important the WiFi be fixed by later today so he can attend meetings online for work. The Signature has the worst residential services and is not being transparent about the issue so I have no idea how long it’s going to be down. I have been calling the Signature every two hours since 7pm last night and still no update, just “we’re working on it”. I feel very bad for the guest and don’t want them to feel stressed during there stay. What can I do? All I can think of, is allowing the guest to cancel for a full refund so they can book a different hotel. 

4 Replies 4
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Autumn84 

I would be perfectly honest with the guest and offer a refund for seven nights if they leave immediately.

If they choose to stay they have to pay.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Autumn84 

The guest will only receive full refund (incl Airbnb service costs) if you or Airbnb (on your behalf) cancel the reservation.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Autumn84 

You could offer to refund the guest as much as the HOA refunds you for the inconvenience.

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

When I have had this problem in hotels, I’ve left my room and gone to a working Wifi location. I also think the guest can set up his phone to be a hotspot to connect to.

Regardless, you probably aren’t really required to compensate him since this is out of your control. However, in this rare case I would probably give the guest reparation of some sort, since an amenity I promised is missing for a significant amount of time.  Maybe 1/3 off his room rate for not being able to use the internet during working hours. Or cancelling completely and refunding your portion (don’t do this yourself - contact Airbnb). You might even ask Airbnb or try yourself to find him a Wifi connection or another place to stay.  Whatever feels comfortable and fair to you - there is no industry standard or best practice that I know of for something like this.