automated posting

Sarit0
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

automated posting

What does it mean when this appears in the comment: "The host Canceled this booking x days before arrival. This is an automated posting."
Is this a warning sign that I should not book with this host?
15 Replies 15
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Sarit0 When a host cancels a confirmed reservation, Airbnb imposes several penalties, this being one of them.  Should you be cautious? Yes, but the cancellation may have been due to a variety of reasons, one of which might have been that the host lists their space on multiple websites, i.e. HomeAway or VRBO and failed to keep their calendar updated.  If you are interested in making a reservation with this host, I would recommend asking about the circumstances of the cancellation and then you can judge for yourself. Send the host an inquiry (Contact Host) to ask your questions. 

I respond to many new hosts in this Community where a host cancelled because a guest asked them to.  Pure Newbie mistake. 

Hope this helps!

Paul0
Level 10
Brunswick, Australia

Hi @Sarit0,

If there is LOTS of those messages over a period of time then it is a small indicator that the Host has a tendency to cancel on Guests... which is quite poor.

That said, If it's only one or two then it could mean they had a small 'life' issue that could have required they cancel a specific booking.

If you love the look of the place and they have a generally good standing as a Host then send an enquiry through and gauge how your interactions are - then you can chose to book.. or not. 🙂

Cheers,

Paul

---

If someone provides a useful response send with a thumbs up!

Useful Links to Check Out:

Co-Organiser of Melbourne's Finest... Hosts too! 🙂

Hi, Funny you should mention this, my NY accommodation has been cancelled with 49 days before we go. Same wording on a comment we were due to be staying at. We paid last October and he had our money since then. I got suspicious when the house went on the market a few months ago! But he agreed to honour the booking, he didnt! I’m googled, because I was unsure what an automated advert was. So in a search for a new place, more expensive, and not as much choice out there for 8 adults. 

Just a note, you mentioned that “he had our money since then”.  He didn’t, Airbnb did.  They don’t pay out to the host until the day after a renter checks in.  Doesn’t change what happened to you, but thought you might like to know.

Emalyn0
Level 2
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Hi, I had similar situation now. I have booked the place one year ahead where I'm supposed to stay there next year February, since it stated there the place is always in demand. I have also paid 50%.  I even recommended my friend to stay there and yes she did as her trip was earlier than mine which was last June. Everything was great she said.

Everything was good and the host did replied until a few weeks ago I wanted to check the calendar of the place to see if there are anyone who booked the place a day before mine so that I can check in early because it was an early morning arrival flight. Then I noticed that all the host listings stated unavailable. I did message her but she did not replied at all for weeks! At her profile page, the review area are all "The host canceled this reservation () days before arrival. This is an automated posting."

Now I am really concern as I have already paid 50% payment. It is also my family's first trip and I don't want to ruin it by needing to find another place on the spot. I am not sure what to do now. You may see her profile here. 

https://www.airbnb.com/users/show/102440662

Any guidance or advise is appreciated.

She didnt even spell her own name right in her profile. She spelled it Wnedy ...

That may be a mistake, like one traverler book for next day to come, last minuts, then at same ealier time we booked by other listing,  we not get time to cover calender yet,  I have to cance that later coming  booking, traverler understand , but ,  then  I got posted from Airbnb : host cancelled booking 20 hr before , What a joke! 

We had someone cancel on us only 3 days before we were supposed to arrive in NYC.  We then had to scramble to find another (and much more expensive) place to stay.  What was more alarming is the automated message that came from "me" which I did not post or authorize.  I tried to contact Airbnb but sat on hold for over 20min and no one picked up.  This is obviously an unathorized use of my profile and need to speak to someone at Airbnb about posing as me, making posts that I did not make or authorize, and I cannot delete or edit.  

Ellen359
Level 1
Ottawa, Canada

In a dilemma and don't know what to do. I booked this place in April and it was a new listing with no reviews. My stay of course has been confirmed and it is in July but today when I decided to check my booking again...there were SIX automated posting of host cancellations in the review section. I've already paid half of it and the second payment is coming up. What should I do? 😞 So far they haven't cancelled on me but, I'm kind of on edge now... I've been searching up what happens when the host cancels. Airbnb states that they give full refunds but did you guys get full refunds?

I'm in the same situation. I'd love to know the answer to that. 

Hi Ellen,

Could you please update us on what happened? Did you get your refund?

Patrick1841
Level 2
Martinez, CA

This very same (IDENTICAL STYLE) review appeared on our listing:
"The host canceled this reservation 72 days before arrival. This is an automated posting."

The review was by "Tabitha" and is completely bogus and fraudulent. No such guest ever booked our home, and we have NEVER cancelled a booking like that. It is obviously a very clever robo-fraud meant to eliminate some competition from excellent hosts, by another listing host who feels the need to poison other people's listing with this clearly identical auto-review.

Ask yourself what the odds are that thousands of individual different guests would word their review so identically!! 

@Patrick1841  Guests don't put those cancellation notices on your review page- Airbnb does. They are generated automatically if you cancel a reservation, which is why they all read identically.  It has nothing to do with a guest review. If you never cancelled a reservation from this person, you need to contact Airbnb- it sounds like a glitch.

Patrick1841
Level 2
Martinez, CA

Airbnb should give you an internal email contact address by which to contact the host. When you see a bunch of these identical "cancellation" reviews, email the host or contact Airbnb to validate those reviews. Odds are they are bogus and fraudulently posted. See my comment above.