guests paid for 10 days want to leave early

Fran-and-Mike0
Level 2
Longwood, FL

guests paid for 10 days want to leave early

My guests who are "snow birds" want to leave early because their planned long term rental is available earlier than was expected.  They will only have stayed 2 out of 10 nights.  Am I required to give them some of their money back?  How do I know they won't try to say that my place wasn't suitable or whatever in an effort to get airbnb to refund their money or that they will give me a bad review out of spite should I refuse to refund money?

3 Replies 3
Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Fran-and-Mike0

Have the guests actually asked for a refund? I wouldn't discuss unless the guests bring up the topic.

The agreement binds guests to your stated refund policy of strict - no refund is due; unless through your goodwill or you perhaps offer to part refund on the basis that you obtain other bookings for the newly freed dates.

You can leave a message on airbnb in summary to state they wish to leave early on account of the availability of their long term rental, to leave an 'audit trail' as such.

Guests trying to extort refunds or dealing with bad reviews are big topics on their own, but first, don't load yourself with problems that might not exist.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You don't.

Just email them back and say you are sorry to hearthey have decided to move on early because their new place is ready and that if they want to cancel they need to do this through Airbnb.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Fran-and-Mike0

you have strict cancellation policy : If the guest cancels less than 7 days in advance or decides to leave early after check-in, the nights not spent are not refunded.

tell them to submit an alteration request and change the check out day, you except it and they will be refunded according to your policy (in this case will not be refunded)

you can offer them to refund for any days you will be able to rebook - this is what most hosts do to show their good will .

If you are affraid of negative reviews then you should change your cancelation policy to moderate or flexible.