requesting money

Michael1279
Level 1
Ohio, United States

requesting money

Hi, recently I've ran into an issue. Orignally I messaged the host to see if certain dates were avaliable. They responded by pre-approving me for the dates. After pre-approving me they mentioned that they didn't update the prices for my dates. After I had booked at the pre-approved, they had requested that since the total cost is actually more that I pay in person when I arrive. I explained that I would not be able to pay in person as it is a violation. They then sent 2 requests for a price increase both of which I have declined. They host stated that they cannot rent the location for the amount I was pre-approved for, they gave me the option to rent one other their other locations through another website. In the second request the host sent to me they said that they would cancel the reservation. After I declined it nothing about the reservation changed. The host later messaged me offering again for me to book their other rental through another site and said that if their other location does not fit my needs then I need to cancel my reservation. What can I do in the situation as I don't want to be out my money and this stay is for a special occasion? On another note while looking futher into the host's listing in the section where they list more information about the listing I foudn they are asking for a depsoit outside of Airbnb, "Airbnb does not collect a security deposit for us. We do require a $300 check as security deposit. We will hold your check until the condo is cleaned and checked upon your departure. If everything is OK we will void your check. If you send us a self-addressed stamped envelope, we will return your check to you."

6 Replies 6
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Hello @Michael1279

It looks like that host is acting a bit out of rules. Do not cancel yourself - you will lose money. The host doesn't want to cancel themselves - they know they will be punished. A deposit outside Airbnb would be illegal. If it is in the messages, you might simply report the host to Airbnb - you must contact Airbnb Customer Service - use Twitter or the form: https://www.airbnb.com/help/contact_us#/

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

@Michael1279, either the host made a mistake when pricing the offer, or they are just trying to make more money off of you.

Either way, it is not your resposibility to solve the problem for them. And you should not send them any money outside AirBnB. You definitely should not give them a $300 check as a "security deposit".

If the host made a mistake, they need to deal with AirBnB. They made an offer to you; you accepted it. You are under no obligation to accept any changes. If the price is unacceptable to the host, the host needs to cancel, not you.

If the host is just trying to make more money off of you, then you are *definitely* not obligated to accept any changes.

Is the host at least communicating with you through the AirBnB message system? (You definitely want there to be an official record of what they are saying to you.) Everything you mention the host is trying is sketchy and outside the official AirBnB rules.

And don't cancel.

@Matthew285The host attempted to contact me outside of Airbnb, to which I let them know through Airbnb I am only comfortable speaking through Airbnb. I reported the message and contacted customer service and they told me that there will be a case manager involved. Hopefully they will be able to solve this issue.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Michael1279

This host needs to be reported to airbnb.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Do you really want to stay at this place now?  @Michael1279, you could ask Air BNB to find an alternative place.  As you have already reported the host to Air BNB, I am concerned that you might not have the special experience you deserve as a guest.