site is now become a place to rip off travelers -

Doug973
Level 1
St Augustine, FL

site is now become a place to rip off travelers -

cleaning fees that are higher than the rental - 1 night at $95 had a $80 cleaning fee for ONE NIGHT - back to hotels till this company decides to care about the traveler not letting people be ripped off

7 Replies 7
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Doug973 cleaning for 1 night costs the same as cleaning for 7 nights. Hosts who charge a cleaning fee aren't necessarily ripping people off they are just covering their costs. Clearly amortising it over 7 nights is cheaper than over 1 night so you are right that a hotel may be more suitable for a 1 night stay. No one is being ripped off - You see the price, compare it to other prices and then choose where to book.

Doug973
Level 1
St Augustine, FL

No you don't see the price. Not on the map screen. I have to open 2 more screens to see that it's now doubled. Not putting the real price on ad is a good definition of rip off. And come on it costs $80 to clean a small bedroom? Really?? So deceptive ads and outrage fees is not user friendly and I stick by it's now all about hosts and company is allowing travelers to be ripped off. How about this host. To be nice I told her I would be parking my truck and boat on the public street parking in front of her house. Tried to tell me  a $30 a day fee. That's what the too many of the host have become. Glad there are still motels. 

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Doug973 I don't know what you're looking at, but if you enter in the dates of your stay when defining the search parameters the price shown on the map is the total price including cleaning, service and any other relevant fees and taxes.

There's nothing intentionally misleading or unreasonable about cleaning fees.  It's a fixed cost per stay, not a variable cost per night.  I think it's actually better that on Airbnb a guest can see the actual dollar amount the host attributes to the work that goes into preparing the space between stays.

Yes, hotels don't explicitly show this fixed cost component, but you're still paying it. In most cases, hotels choose to recoup it via offering discounts for longer stays - e.g., Stay for 3 nights, pay for 2 deals or explicit percentage discounts like the Marriott Bonvoy group's current offer of a sliding scale of discounts from 10% for a 3 night stay rising to 20% for 5 days or longer.    If they don't, then anyone staying more than one night is paying too much.  Think about that the next time you book a hotel for more than one night.

You might be interested to know that as an experiment in guests' perceptions of value and the impact of explicit cleaning fees on guests' behaviour I created two versions of the same listing.  Version 1 has an explicit cleaning fee.  Version 2 I has no cleaning fee; instead  I use length-of-stay discounts to recoup the cost.  A guest booking Version 1 will pay EXACTLY the same dollar amount as a guest booking Version 2.  Interestingly, neither version was significantly more popular than the other and there was no perceptible change in guest behaviour between versions.

Doug973
Level 1
St Augustine, FL

Not where I live. On the map it shows base price. I have to click on thumbnail and scroll down to see real price. This maiit very hard to compare places.   So why can't the cleaning cost be per day?and on the ma along with other fee? I guess host don't want me to stay less than 7 days so penalty add to my cost. And nobody has answered why it cost 80 to clean a small bedroom after 1 night. But I'm never going to convince anyone so I'll just delete my account and stick to hotels where it's easier to know the real cost

@Doug973   "Cleaning Fee" is a bit of a misnomer - the better term for it would be "Changeover Fee" or "Short-Stay Surcharge."  The entire point of it is that it's a flat, per-stay fee that supplements the nightly rate (which in and of itself may fluctuate). It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with cleaning.

Hosts who want to encourage short stays will generally choose not to add cleaning fees. But very few hosts are optimized for stays of only one night. If you feel "ripped off" by the pricing and offer of a listing, it's likely that you just don't happen to be its target guest. 

Sticking to hotels sounds like a good idea for you - this is exactly what every Airbnb hosts hopes that guests who are better suited to hotels will do. But if you think the cost of a hotel room is simple and straightforward, this must be your first week on the internet...

Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

@Doug973 Many hosts do not charge cleaning fees, and I’m one of them. I chose to not charge this fee because like you, as a guest, I would be very annoyed when I found a place at a price I wanted, then to be disappointed because of additional fees. So keep searching on airbnb, you’ll find places with no cleaning fee added.  

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Doug973   The AirBnB programmers are the ones that you should be blaming for what you perceive to be a bait and switch.  Hosts would prefer that when our listing is shown ON ANY PAGE that it would display the total fee that the host is charging, be it cleaning or pets or hot tub/pool heat.  European hosts want to be able to add utility fees as they are climbing exponentially for them.  

IMO the programmers just enjoy changing stuff without any consideration for how people search.  I am sorry that you have to click through so many times to get a real price.  

As to cleaning fees for one night that are as much as the rental, cleaning fees are charged by the cleaning, not by the number of nights.  My housekeeper charges X dollars for each and every visit, so you will be paying her fee if you stay one night or seven.  Sorry.