snake encounter

Answered!
Hideout0
Level 3
Bali, Indonesia

snake encounter

Our accommodation is in the heart of a jungle. Right next to a lovely river. It is beaming with wildlife - we do acknowledge that in our description and prepare our guests, that they will be encounters with many different animals during their stay.

Since we are bamboo house - open, you can't lock it or close downstairs, the common area, kitchen and bathroom.

Yet when we have guests, who spot a snake, they demand to leave and get a full refund.

How would you feel about that - other hosts? We came to shoo the snake away, searched the house if there are no other problems, yet guests still insist on leaving and getting all money back, since - as they claim "the snake is a reptile, not a normal animal." 🙂 We have to smile a little bit about this comment.

Looking forward to hear from your experience!

1 Best Answer

@Hideout0  I had a look at your listing - incredible and unique space, and guests with a handful of brain cells should be able to see that it opens out into the jungle, and all that this contains. But for your more cossetted tourists, perhaps they're concerned only about how their holidays will look on Instagram and haven't researched the flora and fauna of their destinations. So, surprise! Snakes live in the jungle!

The extremely Instagram-ready nature of your listings' photos and the cuteness of the texts is sure to be driving a lot of your impressive success as a host. But it's also bound to appeal - perhaps too much - the the spoiled brats expecting Disneyland. I notice that your texts highlight the house cats and mention "bugs, frogs, mice, and spiders," but snakes are curiously omitted from this list. As a reptile lover I'd consider it good luck to spot a colorful pit viper or Banded Krait during a hike in Bali, but I can understand how those naively expecting only benign wildlife would be shocked to encounter a gravely dangerous snake. 

Since your hideout is integrated into a natural environment, why not highlight more of the wildlife in your listings and photos?  I know a green pit viper or red-tailed racer would not be an everyday sight, but they are very photogenic creatures (hallo Instagram!) and perhaps you're a better fit for nature lovers than those seeking a resort environment or backdrop for wedding photos.

View Best Answer in original post

16 Replies 16

A snake came to my water-trough

...  I confess how I liked him,
How glad I was he had come like a guest in quiet, to drink at my water-trough
And depart peaceful, pacified, and thankless,

D.H. Lawrence

Cereice0
Level 2
Bath Springs, TN

I am currently suspended (all 6 of my listings) due to a small NON-VENEMOUS snake that was OUTDOORS on our 31 acres on the Tennessee river.  The snake was stepped on by a guest that was bare foot outside and he was promptly treated and sent home with 2 small scratches and no venom.  The guest and his family had a great stay otherwise and gave me a 5 star review.   If you read the policy for "dangerous animals" it says the following:   "Safe and secure accommodation for a potentially dangerous animal is an enclosure suited to the needs of the animal that eliminates the risk of harm. The enclosure must prevent any escape and/or contact between the secured animal and people or other animals."

Please explain to me how I can do this on 31 acres on the water with Eagles, turkey, deer, turtles, frogs, bees, spiders, insects,  bats, beavers, fish, hummingbirds, etc?   I have been unable to get a response back from the safety department.   They sent me an email and gave me 48 hours to respond but they suspended ALL of my listings BEFORE giving me the opportunity to respond and now they will not get back to me right in the middle of peak season.  I am so frustrated right now. I am in the process of trying to buy 3 more properties and I have almost 300 five star reviews with everything listed exclusively on Airbnb.  I have recruited numerous hosts.  I am very disheartened.