Enable References outside Facebook

Michael477
Level 10
Cholula, Mexico

Enable References outside Facebook

Actually only references by Facebook users are possible.

Personally I cant use Facebook due to safety issues and my declaraction of personal data safety to the authorities. I would like to see references OUTSIDE OF FACEBOOK enabled,at least references by AirBnB users. That would make it even possible to get beck in the game the evaluations by guests who - by various reasons - dont have time or internet connection to give an evaluation in the 14-day-period.

Regards

Michael

Saludos
Michael
9 Replies 9
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Michael477, that's an interesting idea. I use FB, but not all of the people I would ask for references do, so I can see your point. I guess the idea is to ensure these are real people and not a host making up multiple references for themselves!

Also, I'd like to add there are some glitches on this system. I only ask friends for references if they have also been previous housemates, as I think only they are qualified to comment on what it is like to stay here. However, only one out of several, was able to leave a reference. The others all said they tried and it didn't work.

The one who managed to do it successfully happens to be a very tech savvy director of a super successful competing website so apparently, for average folk outside of the industry, it isn't a very user friendly process. One friend, who is on both FB and Airbnb, didn't even show up as an option when I sent my requests for references. Why?

I do agree that if Airbnb is going to have this reference system, they should make it easier to use.

Or, if I am missing a trick, if anyone who can let me know how my former housemates can easily leave references, that would be helpful!

Michael477
Level 10
Cholula, Mexico

@Huma0: Yes, I guess that is the reason. I mean at MINIMUM, all AirBnB users should be able to give references!  Sometimes 14 days time to evaluate is not enough, mainly if guests are travelling, they have other priorities like booking the next room and not missing their bus/train/flight 😉

regards +  a happy new year

Michael

Saludos
Michael
Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Margaret-and-Nasser0
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

Hi, I am puzzled too. I had cotradictory reply from the help centre,

one of them wrote, there are several ways but via Face Book friends  and email are the most common.

when all my friends accept ONE PERSON were frustrated about not beeing able to publish a personal referenc depite haveing FB and Airbnb account.

I am not happy the way airbnb is handeling this. I am begingn to dout about the whole thing.

PLease reply if anybody has any progress on this.

Ta

Jussi2
Level 1
Helsinki, Finland

I, too, would like to request that references not be restricted to just those users with Facebook accounts. I am a longtime Airbnb user but don't have a Facebook account. I would like to write a recommendation for a friend who recently joined Airbnb, but am unable to do so.

At the very least, long-standing members of the Airbnb community (as measured e.g. by hosting experience and the average rating from guests), that is, members who have proven themselves to be reputable within the community, should be able to write recommendations for new users.

Thank you for your consideration.

Jussi

Jussi.  I agree with you.  A friend new to Airbnb has asked me as a long time host to give her a reference but I am not a Facebook user.

susannah 

Lora12
Level 1
Netherlands

I agree with everyone on here- I'm a longtime user who would like to write a reference for my mom, who just joined. She doesn't have a Facebook account so I can't. Airbnb, if you're able to address this issue, it would be fantastic.

Lora