Host claims “damages”

0 Likes

Host claims “damages”

My best friend Emily and I stayed at an Airbnb in Toronto. The first time we stayed was great no problems. I have been to other Airbnb’s maybe about 10 other ones and those were fine too. However, the last one we stayed at was awful. The moment we walk in it did not look like the pictures really but that’s fine. All we really needed were beds and a washer and dryer.

Before we got there the host said there would be water and pop and some food and even included it in his pictures. The place was completely empty except for old guests clothing, old coffee and some sort of black paste in the fridge. There were a ton of empty amazon boxes and trash in the closets and even the balcony. The dishes were dirty as well.

The second night we were there the bed I was on moved a lot since it was a cheap wood frame on a wood floor and the top right corner fell down in the bed frame when I pushed it 5 inches towards the wall. So I took the mattress off to see what the problem was and to my surprise the bed was already broken. He had packaging tape/duct tape  around a lot of the bed and amazon boxes holding the bed up. In all honesty the bed was going to break sooner or later the reviews on ikea say so itself plus he knew It too since he had been trying to put It back together. The frame was $50 I checked online as well. And one plant fell over so I vacuumed the ground which is maybe a $5 plant. And we took the trash out before we left and I put my dirty towels in the washing machine.

Later we get a call saying he is reporting my friend and I for the “damages” and said we should have washed all the dishes (even though most weren’t us) and that we should have cleaned the place for the next guests. But what is the point of the cleaning fee? The room was fine except for the bed and the plant. I had already taken the sheets off my bed as well and put them in the ball at the foot of the bed since I thought host clean the sheets. Anyway now he is trying to charge her and I $616 for I have no idea what. He had no tv, no couch, fold out chairs, and one of those cheap white tables you see at family gatherings for picnics.

So even if we did damage something nothing there is worth that much money. Plus the pictures showed plush beds with lots of pillows and when we got there it wasn’t like that at all. I think guests should be told to take pictures of everything when they enter an Airbnb. I had no idea host could even do something like this (try and charge for a damage that he obviously knew and that something was already broken) so now if airbnb contacts her and I we do not have pictures. And when he called us he did not try and work something out he said he would be reporting us to Airbnb. But how was I ever to know the bed frame was broke? I wouldn’t have thought to look under the bed and see since I’ve had no issues like this before. 

3 Comments
Cormac0
Level 10

@Victoria335

Do you think it was the apartment that you booked on the Airbnb website or did he take you to another apartment?

I'm surprised you did not take photos as the apartment was in such a bad state.

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow III

Ruth63
Level 1

I would call air bnb.

Tylor2
Level 3

I would definitely give them a call. Let them know all of this and see what they can figure out. I have been in a few where pictures were taken a long time ago and as previous guests damage items they replace them with cheap items or not at all after collecting the money. As with anything I will say you always need pictures.