Making the Airbnb Brand Greener!

Kika2
Level 2
Carouge, Switzerland

Making the Airbnb Brand Greener!

Dear Airbnb

In the interests of continuous improvement, please find a way to address the following:

A way to enable hosts to charge guests for:

1. Leaving the lights on, heating on and windows and even doors open even though the house rules say not to when they leave the house. 

2. Not separating rubbish into the right containers

3. Staining bedclothes (that could be avoided if they "came clean" about it and were soaked in cold water immediately)

4. Leaving a high level of mess

A way to prevent guest giving negative reviews if they did't read the listing properly:

1. For example thinkng it was an entire apartment rather than one room.

2. E.g. Thinking they had their own bathroom when it says it is shared

3. E.g. Not realising the standard apartment in some densly poulated, expensive European ciities are less spacious than most parts of the US. 

To emphasise to guests before their trip that they are staying in someone's home, not a hotel and that:

1. The hotst might well have a job and kids and lots going on and that are not required to be their maids or travel agents and if we do lots of extras for them they could at least thank us

2. That they should say hello properly and be respectful of our home, even if they imagined it to be different despite accurate photos and descriptions

3. That they need to read the directions of how to find the placea and avoid calling 5 times to get a live description on the way (it seems 1 in 10 don't bother to read or bring the directions). 

I am talking about exceptions to the norm of polite, considerate, friendly guests - but there are quite a few exceptions to the norm and gentle reminder of these basic principles from Airbnb would spare a lot of hosts a lot of unnecessary hassle. 

Thanks for sharing your other requests, hosts, and thanks for responding to this directly, Airbnb friends! (btw i already have reminders around the house regarding turning things off before they leave..). 

By the way, strangely when I posted this on the forum I had a couple of hosts saying I should just forget it in a rather condescending way. I noticed these people were both from the US. Perhaps fuel wastage is seen as less of an issue there?

I know that if if it got out that Airbnb houses are left with lights on, heating on, and windows open by callous guests in some parts of Europe, e.g. the UK or Germany there could be negative press about Airbnb not doing more to enable a green society. So I do look forward to your great, positive ideas on how to encourage guest to be greener. There is only so much we can do as hosts. 

Thanks!

3 Replies 3
Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Kika

I'm afraid to say you’re asking the impossible, human nature being what it is, the guests in question most likely behave exactly as you describe in their own home and see nothing wrong with it.

Realistically every guest is an alien, their behaviour and mannerism are unknown until first encounters,

For example:

1. Those who leave their shoe at the front door and those that don’t
  2. Those that feel the breakfast product are entirely left for them and feel obliged to take the balance home.
  3. Those that strip the bed and leave the bed linen in a neat pile and those who make the bed before they leave.
  4. Those that are tidy and clean and those that are quite frankly slobs…
  5. Those that are house sitter (in all day) and those that are out morning noon and night (I call these guest bedwarmers)
  6. Those that leave a review and those that don’t.

This list is by no means exhaustive, but it points at the variable nature of human beings.

The American Marines have a mantra that goes like this

“Adapt, improvise, overcome”

I say this to myself on a regularly basis, when I’m confront by unreasonable behaviour.

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer’s Club Krakow III

The Explorer’s Club Krakow VIII

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

I honestly wish ABB can produce a small educational Video for 1st time guests and things to avoid during their stay and how to read essential information host provide

Or the one who always send you a message for no reeasons thinking u are seating all day and has nothing else to do than cater for them

To respect check in and check out time, really feeling less guests are checking the time they all want to leave late because they have a later flight and refuse to paid any extra for it or land at 6am and want ot check in at 11am 

Lara16
Level 4
Perrysburg, OH

I thank Marie for her suggestion:

"I honestly wish ABB can produce a small educational Video for 1st time guests and things to avoid during their stay and how to read essential information host provide"

Thanks, 
Lara