Mandatory Grace Period - Host information should not be sent to guest until after 48 hours.

Mandatory Grace Period - Host information should not be sent to guest until after 48 hours.

Given this new "Mandatory Grace Period" Airbnb should delay sending contact info out for 48 hours, and introduce a manual send button (see below).

This new directive is a gift for anyone looking to amass data.  And it's not as if Airbnb is immune to abusers and data scrapers.

This "Book, Get Info, Cancel"  exposes the host by releasing private information to possible bad actors.

I had already made a suggestion to prevent host information from being automatically sent out for an IB booking. I believe it was archived as a no-go.

The suggestion was to have a choice:

1.  Automatically send on confirmed booking.  

2. Click button to manually send, i.e. when I want to send it.

Unless Airbnb wants to employ hosts instead of the no responsibility, no risk "freelance" status, hosts should have some control over their listings and who gets their information.

Airbnb  cannot have their cake ,  and eat the hosts cake,  and share the hosts cake among guests.

14 Comments
Lizzie
Former Community Manager

Thanks @Rebecca181, you are so kind and trust me your feedback is really important, so please do keep sharing it. 🙂

Mary167
Level 10

When I called the Airbnb hotline I was told I can remove my address from my listing so that guests will need to contact me to get the details.  I have not been successful in finding any way to do this, and I'm skeptical it's even possible.

Interestingly, I just saw Airbnb has another bright idea which at the moment is a "Pilot Program" that they're trying out.  I believe that's the way this 48 hour cancellation idea started... then we were told hosts who had tried it loved it!  Again, this feature is listed as something we can opt into (or not) but I have to wonder if it will end up being something we are automatically opted into whether we like it or not.

Here's the latest one:

• Exact location: We’ll show the exact location of your listing to guests searching for a place to stay. While we’re piloting this feature, it won’t be available to all guests. This means that at this time, some guests may still see your listing’s general location. We’ll still show your exact location and address to guests with confirmed reservations.

Ange2
Level 10

@Mary167   I was told that it is definitely not possible to hide your address, remove it, or stop your information being sent out immediately for a confirmed booking.

Mary167
Level 10

@Ange2

Thanks.  I felt pretty sure that was the case. It just seems unfortunate - and irresponsible - that some Airbnb representatives give out misleading or completely incorrect information to hosts.  This isn’t the first time it’s happened to me.  The rep I spoke to just flippantly told me all I need do is delete my address from my listing, and that it’s usual for guests to ask hosts for the specific address & other confidential information.