NO to mandatory Instant Book

NO to mandatory Instant Book

I just read an informative profile of the Airbnb honchos, saying edsentially that they plan to force us all to accept Instant Book. They have so lost touch with who we are, what we do, and that they owe their billions to us "little people" toiling away. This is MY HOME. Over the 4 years I have hosted, I have seen and learned a lot. I have had some seriously unpleasant weirdos turn up as guests. I have learned how to filter out people who are inappropriate for my household. I cannot and will not be forced to accept just anyone with no discretion. I would never discriminate based on race, sexual orientation, etc. but GET A GRIP, Airbnb 1% ers! WE are your lifeblood! Don't f*** this up for everybody, including yourselves!
33 Comments
Wyatt
Host Voice Admin
Status changed to: Popular

The status of this Idea has been changed to Popular. Ideas that receive 20 or more Thumbs up from the community within the first 7 days of being published become Popular. The Popular Ideas with the most Thumbs Up are reviewed closely by the Airbnb product team. In reviewing these Ideas, the original post and comments from the community will be considered. Thank you for taking the time to submit a thoughtful Idea that resonates with the community.

Sue---Ian0
Level 2

Thanks for the update @Wyatt

Much appreciated. Although we don't use instant Book, we would not like to be landed with it, for many of the reasons already stated.

Suzi6
Level 2

I totally agree that instant book should be a choice, and I'll sign off if it's mandatory. Hotels, restaurants and other places have the right to refuse service...it's a right,  and we have it also.

Sandra126
Level 10

I think we can agree that cancellations are one of the main worries for potential guests. Booking through IB will lead to an elevated cancellation rate as more hosts will cancel repeatedly. This is potentially devastating for the overall reputation of Airbnb and does not outweigh the potential gains from discrimination issues which I guess you are trying to lessen.

Sandra126
Level 10

Right now, for some users all listings without IB are invisible. This is a new thing, maybe a test to see how quickly we change our minds??? I have not been able to see non-IB for some days.

Sandra126
Level 10

They do not plan to force it (I spoke to them yesterday) but any listings without IB will not be visible unless a search filter is applied. It is a more gentle tactic than forcing, but has the same effect. This is in effect now for some users, but not across the board just yet.

The new reality is Instant Book= visibility

No Instant Book = invisibility

Terry23
Level 6

Thanks Sandra that's what I thought was happening. Not happy about it though.

Bob43
Level 10

I rent out a private room and I will never, ever turn instant book on as I definately need to get a feel with a potential guest that will stay in my private home. The whole system is based on trust (as Airbnb repeatedly tells us so). In which way are we to build a trustworthy relationship without any kind of communication upfront?

A lot of guests won't even bother to write an own personal profile. Yes, for now there is still an option to cancel without penalties for IB hosts. But does that make any sence if IB is the default setting? So, how soon will this policy be changed? I am very worried by this "development".

Sue77
Level 4

Got news for you folks... I just got off the phone with Customer service and Instant book is indeed now the default feature.  I am devastated by this news since I have been a successful Superhost for a year now and worked myself out of a job to rely on this success for my sole income... All without the need for IB. I will regretfully have to leave for other platforms if this is not reversed soon.  I have gone from 2-3 or more bookings per DAY to NONE literally overnight.  Please turn up the heat and complain loudly and often about this in writing AND over the phone and get your friends to do the same.  Have they considered how hard it will be for us to continue to fight more and more pressure from pending legislation if we cannot assure our neighbors that we can vet guests if we must use IB rather than the normal successful conversations to maintain safe and beneficial guests coming to our homes?  I find this totally the opposite nature of the Airbnb concept and chose Airbnb in the first place to host mostly because I could do that...CHOOSE who comes into my home. 

Maya29
Level 2

(Here's a letter I wrote)

Dear Airbnb,

I am an Airbnb Host, and I am also an advocate for keeping short term rentals in San Diego. I have spoken on behalf of Airbnb at all but one of the council meetings.

I have been monitoring some of the more recent issues via the Airbnb website and I am becoming disgruntled by some of the things that are happening.

First of all, the "auto-populated" computer program. When creating a New Search, it automatically changes the search for rentals in the San Diego area to show only "Instant Book," unless it's turned off. Even if the feature is turned off, it keeps changing back to the "Instant Book" feature each time a search is performed. This is a Bad Thing! Especially for SD.

Here's why: Most of the advocates that have spoken on behalf of keeping Airbnb in San Diego need the option to turn down guests they're uncomfortable with. They have "Instant Book" Turned Off!

For Example: Potential Guests that don't read the listings, or try to get away with being dishonest and breaking the rules even before they arrive can be eliminated by Not using this feature. One of the major issues in San Diego, was hosts not being accountable or responsible for enforcing a "Good Neighborly Quality," and we get that. As I explained to the City Council, (which is a matter of public record) "...not all hosts are irresponsible, we have the option to turn people down that we think might be reckless, out-of-control, or a disturbance to the community. I am one of the hosts the check people in, in-person and have them sign a Vacation Rental Agreement." (Then I handed copies of the listing, copies of the contracts, to the Council members, and showed good practices in due-diligence; as did many other responsible hosts who stood up for Airbnb. (This was a major factor in them deciding to let Airbnb continue to list San Diego properties.)

However, now because of the "auto-populated" computerized system, changing the search option, and automatically turning on the "Instant Book" feature, the responsible half of the advocates for Airbnb in San Diego, who choose Not to use the "Instant Book Feature," have virtually Invisible Listings. Potential Guests aren't seeing them. My listing, along with many others listings aren't being seen, and therefore aren't renting at the rate they once were, or not at all.

Please do something to change the Instant Book feature.

Airbnb has created a Monopoly of "Instant Book Hosts" for San Diego. Once the San Diego City Council gets wind of it, they may ban Airbnb.com entirely, as one of the Allowed Home Sharing Websites, and restrict home sharing to websites that show more careful practices in responsible hosting.

And before I forget to mention it, as a direct result of the feature, Airbnb is now putting myself along with other hosts who depend on our listings, in a position of financial burden.

Please help us keep home sharing in San Diego, and either eliminate or change this feature to something that doesn't automatically turn on.

Maya M. Leisure

Responsible Host and Advocate for San Diego