Short-term, Long-term, Bridge Housing, Emergency Housing

Edwin16
Level 1
Vista, CA

Short-term, Long-term, Bridge Housing, Emergency Housing

Hello, 

My name is Edwin O. Makkias, and I believe it would be amazing for AIRBNB and willing host to partner with local non-profits who offer housing services for members of the community. I currently volunteer at InterFaith Community Services in Escondido, CA and I see the desperate need for bridge housing, as well as short and long-term housing for different populations. 

I think this would be a great opportunity to house families in our community by means of Communal/Shared Economy Housing, while helping home owners/Host keep/afford their homes as rent/mortage prices increase drastically.

Anybody else see the value and empowerment this can bring to our community?

Thank you, 

EDWIN

2 Replies 2
Carol407
Level 4
St. Louis, MO

This is an interesting idea Edwin.  Are you suggesting that Airbnb or the non-profits cover the cost to the host?  Something a host could sign up for and choose to participate? 

Something like a check box Airbnb could put on the hosting dashboard that indicates the host is willing to take guests from non-profit third-party bookings? 

What is your vision on how this could work?  Good idea, needs to be explored.

Sandra924
Level 3
Maryland, United States

Wow, I'm so glad to see that there are other hosts who think about the problems I see firsthand. We are people first before we can do business.

This could go a number of ways. Getting started, we need to be willing to be independently flexible before asking permission or waiting for Airbnb from a top-down approach to roll out the features that would make this doable. 

Always use discretion, but recognize that Airbnb isn't just used by travelers and experience seekers. Sometimes it's the only alternative to slum motels and prison-like hotels, which the industry has caught on to. All the more reason to be self-empowering.