4 star ratings

Brenda-And-Jim0
Level 2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

4 star ratings

Some guests we find just don't know better on the reviews.  We just had one guest give us a lovely review with all positive feedback, we talked with them and even went and had a beer with them and they loved the place, yet they gave us a 4 star review overall, which hurts our superhost status and I think SEO as well.

Any thoughts on revising the superhost review requirement?  I believe one of two alterations could be made.

- First is obvious, count not just "overall" experience but all categories together.  Airbnb asks guests that, why shouldn't those categories be counted???

- Second, include 4 stars towards superhost status but increase the 80% threshold, so say 90%+ must be 4 and 5 star reviews or something like that.

12 Replies 12
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Those are good ideas. Would be nice if airbnb would go along with it. Maybe you could put the suggestions on Host Voice, and we could thumbs up it, they apparently do read those.

As I rent a bedroom in my home, I usually have quite a bit of interaction with my guests. In the course of conversation now, I try at some point to bring up how the reviews work for hosts- that anything less than 5 stars is considered "needing improvement", that the hosts don't agree with this rating system, and try to lightly let my guests know that the rating system is to do with whether the place and the host was as expected as regards to the listing. In other words, I know I'm not renting out the penthouse suite at the Four Seasons, so that's not what the 5 stars is about. I tell them that I'm not suggesting that they rate me 5 stars if they don't feel I deserve it, that I like to rate guests honestly myself and would not expect them to do any different. Most  guests have indicated that they had no idea that the reviews worked like that- that 4 stars wasn't considered all that good.

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

But @Sarah977 @Brenda-And-Jim0 - don't you think it's Airbnb who should enlighten guests?

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

@Marzena4  Absolutely, but they don't. Just like they don't enlighten them as to the fact that if they have Instant Book filter on, they don't see all the available places that don't use IB.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Perhaps a 10-star system is best, instantly divorcing it from the hotel industry's 5-star system, which many guests think it works the same way. In a 10-star system, 9/10 or 10/10 would suffice to meet Superhost.

That's a good idea to differentiate from the rating of hotels.

Then guests will not get confused and score more accurately.

Something needs to be done I think.

I don't understand how a guest can score you 5 stars for every category and then have an overall 4 stars. Surely the overall score is and average of all the categories added together? Otherwise what does the overall score mean? it is of no use as feedback if there is no meaning to it. we do not know what we need to address when we have been given 5 stars for every area.

All it does is bring done our overall rating and can lose us our Superhost status and potential guests.

ACTION NEEDED PLEASE AIRBNB!!!!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Fred13 @Marzena4 @Sarah977  @Brenda-And-Jim0

@Cecilia97 Yeah this is what goes on Ceclia! Have a look at my last review......

Star rating 4.png

Cecilia, they loved everything about it but, because l did not have a big sign on the front gate saying...."YOU ARE HERE", I got an overall 4 star. The street address is just not enough sometimes!!

The annoying thing is that 4 star took my 5 star review percentage down by 1% but, it will take 10 five star reviews to move it up that 1% again!!!

I suppose there is a logic there somewhere that perhaps @Steve  with his great mathematical mind can explain to me!

Cheers.....Rob

@Robin4You have brought up a classic example of the oftentimes maddening absurdity of the Airbnb's star system and how foolishly it could be totally miss-used by a guest, even with no ill-intent.

What in Heaven's name could the lack of a 'commercial sign' (which is not allowed by local ordinance) have  anything to do whatsoever with your personal hospitality, which obviously the guest found exemplary? My goodness.

/off to the island to paint till tomorrow, in the meantime stay cool. (rolls eyes).

Gemma171
Level 2
Harbertonford, United Kingdom

Hi Rob, 

im not sure about your house but mine is named. Thus I have hand painted a unique sign outside with bright colours. I always send a picture so guests can find me. Especially as air bnb mapping and addresses only allow for a house number. This makes for some confusion as I have to put a house number in order to make a listing! 

I have only had one guest wandering around my village wondering where my house was and this was due to the fact they did not read any messages after booking.

You might also be able to make a unique house number etc. I also have a window on my door and have wrote a welcome message on it in chalk marker which is long-standing but can wash off with window cleaner.

I COMPLETELY agree. We just had our first guest give us a 4 Star overall, but 5 stars in every single category. We looked through her profile and can see that she’s done that several times. Not ONLY that, but her comment literally states “OVERALL: 4-stars.” I’m so annoyed. She shouldn’t be able to post that as her comment header, especially when she gave us 5-stars for everything.42 5-Star reviews overshadowed by one 4-Star rating. 

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

I really start wishing guests knew more about the system - just got a good review with 3* overall rating (!!!)

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Many guests don't really have a clue how reviews work. Quite a lot of them don't even know that hosts can leave them reviews too.

I don't get as stressed about 4 star reviews as I used to. If there is some feedback that highlights things I can actually do something about, then fine. Other times, the guest hasn't actually read the listing. I go out of my way to make the listings accurate and include any relevant info as well as to encourage guests to read them, so not much more I can do there.

Then there are the guests who are just going to find something to complain about, not because they had a bad stay, just because it's in their nature to do so. Like @Robin4 I've had guests mark me down on check in because my house number was not large enough. It's a pretty standard size, plus guests get very detailed directions/check in instructions, including photographs, but these guests did not bother reading those.

I just got my first 4 star review in a while. It's obvious from the way the private feedback is written that the guests thought they were writing a guide for other guests and didn't realise only I'm going to see it! I'm pretty sure of this as otherwise it doesn't make sense.

4 stars for accuracy: "Listing is very accurate. Includes detailed info about the place so it is important to read in advance."

Throughout their feedback, they mention things that were on the listing (e.g. that there are a couple of flights of stairs) and say it wasn't a problem for THEM, but keep making comments like:

"If this bothers guests, it’s important they read info in advance. In our case we knew in advance and were happy..."

The guests were happy, had read the listing and found the accommodation as described, but felt they should downrate some categories in case other guests didn't read the listing and were unhappy. What kind of logic is that?!

Oh well, no point getting stressed about it because what on earth can you do to prevent random ratings like that?