A few questions for our project

Ramon88
Level 2
Nederland, Netherlands

A few questions for our project

Hello everyone, me and a friend are working on a paper for our final year of high school. The paper is about Airbnb, and the influences it has on people, hotels, etc.

We have a few questions for a or several hosts and guests, and we would greatly appreciate for someone more experienced with Airbnb to answer these questions.

Question 1: How often do you use Airbnb, and do you rent a house or room, host, or both?

Question 2: (If you are a host) How much preparation does it require to make sure the room/house is ready for the guests, and name something special you do to make the stay of your guests as pleasant for them (and you) as possible?

Question 3: Do you have any negative experiences with hosts or guests?

Question 4: Have neighbours ever complaned about noise, etc.?

Question 5: Would you recommend Airbnb above hotels, or otherwise and why?

Thank you very much in advance for answering our questions,  it will help us massively.

Kind Regards,

Ramon and Daan.

13 Replies 13
Jill295
Level 4
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Hi Ramon and Daan. Good luck with your paper. I’m sorry I can’t help with answers but perhaps I can help with th following tidbit of information. 

“My friend and I” 

We always put the other person(s) name(s) first and then I or me. 

When to use I and when to use me depends on which would be correct if the other person’s name is not there. For example: 

My friend and I are going...

Daan and I are going...

I am going...

But-

Jack is going with Daan and me.

(not Daan and I) because you wouldn’t say Jack is going with I. 

Hope that helps. 

Ramon88
Level 2
Nederland, Netherlands

Thanks for the advice!

I do not know if it is possible to edit the post, but I will try to do so.

As you might have guessed, I am not a native speaker, so there might even be a few more mistakes, will check it again myself as well.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Hi @Ramon88, very frequently here on the forum there are researchers posting similar pleas to yours, which will be why nobody has answered. I think you will find the answers just by reading the forum. Type in the question and long threads will show. Job done.

I am also absolutely sure that for the best Airbnb experience with hosts, regardless of whether you are a guest or researcher you need to fill in your profile and put up a picture.

@Sandra126  My daughter was just complaining last week no one would answer her survey/reseach questions on family sites for her methods class. So I went ahead and gave the kids a break ;D Normally I ignore them too lol...

Ramon88
Level 2
Nederland, Netherlands

Thanks for the advice, will work some on my profile. Someone adviced me to just ask my questions on this forum, and I just didn’t think further into it. Next time I will try and look up the questions and only ask if I can not find anything.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Ramon88  Here's my response as a host:

Question 1: How often do you use Airbnb, and do you rent a house or room, host, or both?

My listings are available 365 days a year. I rent out two entire homes. One sleeps up to 12 and the other up to 10. I prefer HA/VRBO or Luxuary Rentals when I rent homes for my personal use. The fee's are not as high as AirBnB's for the most part and the accomadations are more in line with what I am looking for. My 2 daughters 1 in still in college and 1 just completed her doctrine rent exclusively with AirBnB. They need smaller accomodates then I do for large group family rentals. It's works out cheaper with a larger stock of rentals for them to choose from then on HA/VRBO. 

Question 2: (If you are a host) How much preparation does it require to make sure the room/house is ready for the guests, and name something special you do to make the stay of your guests as pleasant for them (and you) as possible?

As my rentals are for large groups it usually a 2 crew cleaning team and 4 hours to prepare, unless of course the previous renters really messed up the place. Pictures below give an sample/idea of what can happen and then it takes much longer to clean up. We leave a welcome basket and tailor it to the guests. Late night arrivals are usually hunrgy with no time to get to a store, so we give wine, cheese and meat trays, snacks for children, water bottles, iced tea, lemonaide, coffee, teas, hot chocolates, bread with peanut butter and several jellies/jams for sandwiches for hungry kids, breakfast for group for the first morning eggs, waffle/pancake mix, orange juice, fruit and granola bars usually. You get the idea I'm sure. We go above and beyond and we do not list this in our listing. 

55276756996__F0140BE6-0BC2-49F2-8B4F-F53392DFF165.jpeg

55276755887__4D3199AE-2A25-4248-92F5-529FC5852F0B.jpeg

We've had a few. I have only put in a claim once for damage and stolen items. I was reimbursed for most of what I asked for. It's not always easy to get AIrBnB to give you reimbursement even from the security deposit, They do not actually collect it unlike HA/VRBO, so it's difficult for hosts to get any money from it if there are problems. For these reasons it always best if the host has their own commercial insurance in place. With larger homes the biggest issues are preventing unauthorized parties by the younger crowds, sneaking in guests they don't pay for, smoking in a non-smoking home, sneaking in an unauthorized pet(s) to a no pet property, leaving a huge mess or trashing the property and my biggest pet peeve is asking/demanding things clearly not listed in your listing as an option early check in or late check out are the two constant ones they ask.  

My daughter renting have a few issue in Peru and the Amazon. Also had a bait and switch in Russia. Otherwise considering how much they rent I would say less than a 2% issue with problems with the rentals. 

Question 4: Have neighbours ever complaned about noise, etc.?

My property has 6+ acres and the houses on each side 2+ or 3+ acres each and they work at my Wedding/Event Venue on my property also in addition to the rentals, so not an issue for me. 

We cater to families and the military. We are 15-20 minutes to both SeaWorld and Lackland AFB and 25 minutes to Fort Sam Houston Base. Many familes see renting our homes as a huge savings on vacations. They make breakfast and dinner at the house, so they have only 1 meal to purchase or bring with while they are siteseeing or at SeaWorld. It's usually extended familes or 2 families, so they save a lot on what hotel rooms for 10-12 people would run them in addition to all the meals out in restuarants. It also makes it easier to afford more than just one family vacation all summer. The BMT (Basic Military Training) graduates families that come down for the graduations can bring their son or daughter back to the house for home cooked meals and relaxing for the first time in 7-8 weeks. If they stayed in a hotel, this would not be possible. We provide a valuable service over the hotels for our guests, but in a shared environment some of the hosting issues they have is that guests consider them hotels and that causes many hosts issues. They are not hotels, they are not maids and many new guests to the AirBnB shared spaces expect this. 

Another thing to note in your report is that AirBnB's review rating system is not fair to hosts. The review system is just like Uber's a 5 * review is required, with 4 * or less AirBnB are sends warnings to the hosts that they may be delisted for poor preformance and not achieving AirBnB's high standards. The overall is the key to a SuperHosts status. The new review process is:

5 * Much better than expected

4 * A bit better than expected

3 * As expected.

So if your listing is accurate and you described it all correctly you get a 4 * or 3 * you can be delsited or suspended for it, not to mention lose your SuperHost status. So this is something from a hosts point of view you should also be aware of. Hope this helps some. Maybe a shared enviornment host will give you that side of things. Good luck on your report.  

Ramon88
Level 2
Nederland, Netherlands

This will help a lot, you gave use a lot of good information to work with, thank you very much!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Ramon88  All you need to do is take the time to spend a few hours reading through the posts and replies on this Hosting forum and you will have far more answers to your questions than you ever imagined and a serious education about what it takes to host successfully. 

Ramon88
Level 2
Nederland, Netherlands

Thanks for the advice, I just didn’t think much into it and asked the questions. Next I will try looking up some questions before asking.

We have done both buy mainly we rent an apartment that is attached to our home. It is available year round and we mainly rent to longer term guests (4-13 weeks) but in between the longer term we have short (3-5 nights) guest. As guests we have stayed in 3 Airbnbs and I do like them over hotels.

Cleaning and preparing the apartment takes 6 hours. That includes 5 loads of laundry and washing all the plates and silverware in our dishwasher. We also do a very thorough cleaning which includes disinfecting the kitchen and bathroom. For all our guests we leave a tray of snacks, breakfast items, coffee, tea, water and homemade cookies or banana bread.

The only negative experience we have had with guests have been some that just don’t follow the house rules and a few that have left the apartment messy. After learning what some host go through we consider ourselves lucky.

As far as othere host we have not had a bad negative experience. The only issue we did have was one of our Airbnb’s was not ready when promised. We had to wait in the apartment complex for the cleaning staff to finish.

Question 4: Have neighbors ever complained about noise, etc.?

No, my neighbors are within sight but a distance away. We do not allow parties or gatherings so typically we only have 1-3 people in the apartment at a time.

It depends on where you are going as far as recommending Airbnb over hotels. We went to Quebec last year and wanted to stay in an Airbnb but could not find what we wanted in the location we wanted. Also, since we were not renting a car we needed to rely on taxi and we did not have cell service for Uber so staying at a hotel was better as we got a taxi at the door. If we had our own car I would have rather have stayed in an Airbnb.

Thank you for your help, we really appreciate it!

Kim572
Level 5
Parkersburg, WV

We recently started hosting and have a house with a key safe so the guests can self check in. We have used Airbnb as guests also.  We always rented houses, not rooms.

The house is over 1200 square feet (not counting the basement) with 2 bedrooms and 1.5 bathrooms and takes me and a helper 4 hours to clean, including doing the laundry, if the guests leave things reasonably neat.  So far, we haven’t had any bad guests although we have had some stain our towels and sheets.

i try to leave them something extra not mentioned in the listing...milk, butter, bread, and eggs so they don’t have to rush out to the store if they are hungry when they arrive.  Sometimes, fresh flowers, or fresh baked cookies, or goodies of some kind.

Question 3: Do you have any negative experiences with hosts or guests? None, except that one group stained a new towel (acne medication, we think) and another customer stained a sheet.

Question 4: Have neighbours ever complaned about noise, etc.? No, we emphasize in the listing that the house is in a quiet neighborhood with lots of older people. 

Question 5: Would you recommend Airbnb above hotels, or otherwise and why? Yes.  It’s less expensive, more private (you if rent houses like we do) and you get a better feel for what houses in that country are like, if you are traveling in a foreign country.  It makes a trip much more memorable than staying in bland, interchangeable corporate hotels.

Ramon88
Level 2
Nederland, Netherlands

Thanks a lot for your time!