Account compromised

Julia245
Level 1
Phuket, Thailand

Account compromised

Message from airbnbMessage from airbnbMessage from airbnbHi, we work with airbnb long time already, but 1st time we got trouble with one of our booking. 
On 3rd Feb at night time we got reservation for 3 bdr villa. The guy, name David, wrote, that his friend  called us. We confirmed reservation at morning, but payment was not done: it showed "Awaiting for payment". In the same time we got phone call from "friends" and they said, that they would like to check in to the villa first and David will come later, he is on flight. They left us deposit by cash untill payment is confirmed. So, during the day payment was done thru airbnb. 
At evening we got strange messages from David, that he didn't do this reservation. 
- I did not make this reservation. Sorry. Don't know is this happened
Want to make sure this is cancelled. This is an error
We asked him about his friends, he said its not his friend, he is in US now.  Then in few minutes we recieved other messages from him: 
Don't cancel please
This is error
It's ok) don't worry
So, we believe, that his account was compromised. We contact him thru WhatsApp and he confirmed, that his account compromised and booking need to be cancelled. Now we asked this "friends" leave our place, because they are crime. They agree to return us the key (even didn't complain with us)
The question is - how we can cancel this booking without fee, because its not our fault? and how we can return this money to David, because its not his fault too? Airbnb already sent it to our bank account, but we ready to process returning. 

4 Replies 4
Julia245
Level 1
Phuket, Thailand

We also wrote email to Airbnb team, because its impossible to get help by phone - no one pick it up and for us its very expensive to call from Thailand to US, but we did not get any respond 

I would also ask the owner of the compromised account to call airbnb. If he is in the States, he can easily do that and he has a strong interest to do it: to get the money back and to avoid further bookings. 

I hope you get your keys back and still have tge deposit. I would not tefund before airbnb trust and security has sorted it all out. According to your story, uou cannot be sure, that guests and account holder did not come up with this all together. I would also change the locks, threatenithe guests with suing them and maybe install an alarm system. They could have done all of this with the intention to rob the place later. 

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

Contact airbnb via Twitter direct message @airbnbhelp

Jean151
Level 1
Betty's Bay, South Africa

Hi everyone

I have been trying to the methods available to contact airbnb

My last guest stayed for 23 days, departed and I have not received payment from Airbnb 

any suggestions, ????

I did make contact with one of their agents in help center who was getting back to me, but its now been two weeks since he made contact. Most frustrating and first time I have had problems with them in  years