Advice needed on how to deal with an unhappy guest (details inside)

Dan255
Level 1
Irvine, CA

Advice needed on how to deal with an unhappy guest (details inside)

Hello,

In short: my guest arrived on Tuesday. My co-host greeted and handed the key to my guest. Later that day, it was brought to my attention -- via a phone call -- that my guest was unhappy because I didn't provide 2 sets of keys (so that his girlfriend could roam freely). We agreed that I would send the extra key ASAP via mail (I'm 30 miles away from the destination). When I arrived at UPS (~6:30PM PST), I was told that the key wouldn't get to its destination in 1 day, but 2 (Thursday, not Wednesday). The cutoff for next-day delivery was 5:30PM PST. I tried to get in touch with my guest via Airbnb messenger (waited 30+ minutes for a response) to see if the delay on obtaining the key would be OK. Because I never got a response, I went ahead and sent the key via UPS priority mail.

He called me today (Wednesday), extremely frustrated with this situation. I told him I did the best I could do, which is in fact very true.

Driving isn't too much of an option, as I'm currently in Hollywood, CA and getting to the destination would take ~2.5 hours during rush hour. My guest claims that I should've opted to do this. As a working individual, it was not feasible to travel for ~3-5 hours after work.

My argument: I tried to communicate with my guest (via Airbnb messenger) 3 days prior to his arrival, to which I never got a response. Such a matter could've been addressed before he arrived. Instead, I reacted as swiftly as I could by getting to UPS immediately after work.

Question: my guest would like me to offer him a free night or payment for this mishap. Am I in the wrong here? Is this what I need to do?

Thank you.

17 Replies 17

We use the Schlage keypad entry system. Each guest gets to choose their 4 digit code before they arrive. Safe. Personalized. No keys. Also, it’s really affordable and the batteries last for months. 

I also agree that this guest guest is being unreasonable. I wouldn’t have provided a refund. 

Nina75
Level 10
LA, CA

I would have driven a key there simple... It would not have been an issue. It doesnt take 2.5hrs to drive from Hollywood to Irvine... This is the problem with the new breeed of Hosts they dont want to put the work in to be a true host, they just want to sit back and collect the cash with as little effort as possible... Im not going to call you Lazy, but I would have driven the extra key over.

I will give you a quick anwers to your question.
1.) have a lockbox avaialable on the property with an extra set of keys. This will also help in emergency situations. (what if the guest would have lost they keys you would have been really Pissed off)

2.) use digital Locks. I love the digital locks because everyone can use the codes, and I dont have to keep running back to home Depot because the keys dont work.  The $99 was an excellent investment. ( I also have the Lockbox Close to the door incase the digital Keypad Doesnt work or the battery dies they can go into the Lockbox to get out the key.) This is called Redundancy. I plan for these issues before they happen.

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

Install one of these electronic systems, that allows guest to open the door via code. I use keys also and still don't have complains about this, but i see, that my guests are not very happy with the traditional locks. Last week two guests had difficulties to open the lockbox (they've never seen such a thing before), one asked me how to use the RFID chip, that opens the building door...I can clearly see, that if I don't start to use the new technologies, things will get worse.