Advice please! Guests brought a dog (no pets) & CCTV shows it was left 12 hours+

James179
Level 2
Brighton, United Kingdom

Advice please! Guests brought a dog (no pets) & CCTV shows it was left 12 hours+

Very briefly - we have 2 studio apartments in our building with a no pets rule (they're small). Husband & wife book for 3 nights over this weekend over  our very busy annual gay pride weekend. We have registered cctv cameras around the building which each have signage and is mentioned in the listing. One camers in main entrance covered the key safes so we use the camera to check guest has arrived. Anyway - 2 females (no husband) arrived on Friday and one had a small dog hanging out of her handbag! We conracted the man who booked and he said has been tied up with work for 24 hours and the other lady was a friend. We said the dog is not allowed but as he promised to arrive the next morning we said we would allow it as long as it was not left along inside the apartment. He said he would stay with it. This morning we review cameras and he doesn't seem to have come at all and the two ladies we seed going out on Saturday lunctime with no motion alerts recorded until they entered the outside at 12 hours later. They went inside and the dog quickly is seen doing it's toilet on the doorstep. They are meant to leave tomorrow at 10am (it's 8pm now). What should I do? Thrown them out? 

2 Replies 2
Julie1148
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

I have a similar situation. I have a no pets policy and a family from NY are staying in my 3 bedroom apt just newly remodeled. I was measuring the front steps of the apartment today for some future work I will be doing and I clearly hear a dog barking. What should I do? Any thoughts? Can I request a deposit 

for the dog in case it soils the new carpet? 

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Julie1148   How long are they staying? I would ask them to leave or board it elsewhere as you are a pet free zone. If they say it's an Service Dog or an ESA, then it should not be left alone per AirBnB's policy ever. 

When can a host ask a guest to remove a service animal?

A host may ask a guest to remove a service animal if:

1. The animal is out of control and the animal’s handler does not take effective action to control it
  2. The animal is not housebroken

In either scenario, the host must still give the guest the opportunity to use the premises without the animal if the guest so chooses. Note that given their role in providing service or emotional support, assistance animals should not be left alone at a listing.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1869/what-is-an-assistance-animal