Air BnB last place to look for accomodation

George267
Level 2
Randburg, South Africa

Air BnB last place to look for accomodation

I recently tried to book accomodation with Air BnB only to find out that what you see on the website is not what the owners want for their accomodation. Places show accomodation availibility and minimum stay requirements ect and one have to go thru the whole process of booking and money taken off my account only t o find out owners decline. The reason why they decline is because they are looking for more money and have minimum stay requirements. Why can't it just be open and clear like other more user friendly websites. Now I have to wait 15 days for my money to get back into my account without intrest. This happend to me three times now and don't think I will ever use Air BnB again. I like open and honest business and not underhanded where you then have to get into a bargaining position with the owner to then end up paying what they are looking for and not what is avertised on the website. 

15 Replies 15

@George267, sorry you had a bad experience with your AirBnB booking.

Please aware that what happened with you is not typical. The normal experience is that when you book, the price is exactly as shown.

What measures are in place on the website to prevent having these experiences? I did not see any minimum stay requirements. People that is showing different price to what they want allowed to continue using your site?

@George267, the simplest thing might be to choose listings that use Instant Booking. Then your reservation is confirmed at the listed price automatically, without the host being able to change the price.

If the host cancels a confirmed reservation, there are heavy penalties, and so hosts are very reluctant to do so.

Again, what happened with your reservation is not the norm at all.

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@George267, it's not quite like that. If a host has set a minimum or maximum stay, the system should not have allowed you to book in the first instance. How did it happen that the host declined? Who cancelled the bookings? Don't let hosts manipulate you into cancelations - there are penalties for hosts and most try to avoid it. It is also good to communicate with a potential host and simply ask to avoid disappointment.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

Marzena I selected the dates and booked on the system only receive email from Air BnB that the booking have been cancelled. When contacting the hosts they informed me that they were looking for longer stay and more money. Email from Air BnB informed me that it would take 15 days for refund. My first time to use the system, but now a bit weary of it. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Trust you do know this forums is for hosts to exchange ideas with each other; not to talk to Airbnb direct.

You were able to book and it allowed you to bypass the minimum/maximum stay parameters? It took 15 days to get refunded after the host cancelled you?  Odd, on both counts.

George267
Level 2
Randburg, South Africa

Could not find any contact details for Air BnB to take it up with them. Was hoping to get answers to my questions here. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Hi George, here is a guide for contacting Air BNB if that is what you need now.  Good luck

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165#M728

Thank you for the details Linda

Monica4
Level 10
Ormstown, Canada

@George267  If you are finding that the hosts are changing their prices and setting new minimum stay requirements after you have entered the dates on the calendar and received a price, you can report them to Airbnb. This is not normal and it gives the rest of us, honest hosts, a bad name.

George267
Level 2
Randburg, South Africa

Thank you will do so. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @George267,

Lovely to meet you. I am really sad to hear of your bad experience with booking an Airbnb. As@Matthew285 said, this is certainly not the norm, so I really hope this can be sorted out as it does sound a little strange. 

It would be great to hear any update you receive on this, if you can.

I hope you won't give on Airbnb, as you can see here in the Community Center, there is an amazing group of hosts, who I am sure would love to host you. I hope you find somewhere great to stay and you have a fantastic trip.

Hope to speak with you soon.

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

George267
Level 2
Randburg, South Africa

Hi Lizzie

With the help of the people here on the community I managed to get hold of Air BnB people that have managed to resolve the problem. The host was penalised and Air BnB have dealt with them. I am still waiting for my money to be refunded and are sure it would be done with in the 15 days as promissed by Air BnB. I already booked other accomodation, but will have a look at Air BnB for other travels.

Regards

George

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks so much for your update @George267, I am so pleased it has been sorted out and you have managed to get your refund. 

It is fantastic to see your trip plans are all coming together now and that you will give Airbnb another try in the future. I hope you are going somewhere exciting for your travels, I can recommend the UK, although, not ideal for a warm and sunny break at this time of year. Have lovely time. 🙂

(Just mentioning in @Monica4@Linda108@Fred13@Matthew285 and @Marzena4, as I am sure they will be interested in hearing your update.)

Thanks everyone,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.