AirBNB does not collect from a guest

AirBNB does not collect from a guest

I just found out today when I called. First I am a new host to air bnb. On my second reservation, the guest stayed for 2 weeks. I did not get paid during this time becasue AirBNB holds paymnet to newly registered hosts during the first month. A week after the guest leaves I finally contact air bnb asking when I can expect payout. They explain to me that there is a problem collecting from the guest. WHAT? Three weeks later, I just find out they never collected from the guest? Never told me? Then the kicker, since they didn't do their job, they won't pay me. So I pay for their incompetence???????? What kind of organization is this? I recognize I am new to this, but it seems utterly rediculous that a business partner blows their part of the job and expects the other one to pay for it? 

13 Replies 13

@Steven218

From what I know, guests need to complete payment for the reservation to be confirmed so if the guest did not pay, then they can't have a confirmed booking! Airbnb is not making any sense! 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/425/when-will-i-get-my-payout?topic=234

"If you're a new host, we may hold your payouts for 30 days after your first reservation is confirmed." 

You mentioned that the 2 week guest was your 2nd reservation. Did you check to see how the 2 completed stays show up on your "transaction history" page? My first guest made a reservation at my listing about 3~4 days after I went live, and she checked in about 1 week after making the reservation. I recieved prompt payment (payout notification the day after check-in, and bank transfer of funds about 3~4 days later) with no 30 day delay so I can only imagine the frustration you are going thru right now. You may have better luck getting a response if you contact Airbnb thru Twitter. Good luck!!! 

Joanna85
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

Either that's new or there is something wrong.....I got my first guest maybe a week after my listing was up and I was paid 24 hours after their check in.  I have absolutely no issues with how I"ve been promptly paid.  I have hosted many, many guests and have NEVER had any payment issues.  The best way to get help and answers is to send a tweet to Airbnb.  It may take 24 hours to hear from anyone, but you get the best help that way.

Sharona-and-Gabi0
Level 3
Rehovot, Israel

Hi @Steven218. This is a disturbing story. Good luck in resolving the situation. Please update. 

Thanks for your post, this convinced me that Air BnB is not the right place for my property. I require advanced payment and if I had someone stay and Air BnB allow d it without ensuring the payment -  ridiculous. You do not nake hosts wait 1 month after stay to get paid. ByeBye Air BnB.  

Den0
Level 3
United Kingdom

I have a similar case, albeit I have hosted thousands. Airbnb didn't collect payment from a guest, the guest actually ended up staying and then checking out without the host being paid, without Airbnb informing the host! Airbnb admitted it was their error - yet didn't do anything about it. After two weeks now of daily communicating with airbnb by email - no response and by phone - same response, a case manager will be assigned, it is at the highest priority. 

Airbnb is clearly demonstrating that they are being hostile against hosts and not willing to correct their own mistakes in a timely manner. They are focused on withholding the funds for as long as possible at their gain to the inconvenience of the hosts. 

The main problem here is that there is no consequence for airbnb. There is zero possibilty to complain or escalate. When you reach this stage, you are just met with the same response, a case manager will be assigned, it is at the highest priority, there is no timeline, it could but should not take a year. 

Easily an article for the press which will scare new hosts away - let strangers into your home, but you will risk never being paid by airbnb. Btw, if the guests destroys your home, you are not insured and airbnb will decide at their descretion if they will pay you a penny. Are you willing to take the risk and go through the hassle? This is obviously only when something goes wrong, but it happened to several hosts - so it could happen to you too!

I believe Airbnb is failing significantly on their fiduciary responsibilities and they are illegally keeping your money and this is in breach of your agreement with them. I believe Airbnb should have case managers who can actually deal with these situations in a timely manner and promptly rather than bully hosts and guests into dropping cases.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

2 possible options, tweet, the people dealing with Twitter seem more clued up.

Involve the media.

As others have said case managers seem few on the ground and are difficult to het hold of.

David
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

2 possible options, tweet, the people dealing with Twitter seem more clued up.

Involve the media.

As others have said case managers seem few on the ground and are difficult to get hold of.

David

Did the guest arrive without a 'confirmed' notice which, I believe, happens once payment is made to Airbnb?

Marcy1
Level 10
Eugene, OR

I just found out yesterday that airbnb allows guests to make installments toward the total amount due on the reservation. If all the installments are not made. then the funds are not released to the host. True but wrong!* I would call airbnb to get payment from airbnb for the reservation. You should not have to wait because you're new.

*If airbnb wants to make the installment/flex-pay available to guests,  that is their new business enterprise and should not effect payout, period. 

Jim-and-Marcia0
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

I can't imagine how frustrating that must be!   I do think this is an issue that you will be able to resolve. It is quite unusual.

I haven't had difficulty resolving issues with Airbnb, but some representatives are better than others. I don't tweet. I telephone Airbnb. If I get a representative who doesn't know how to help me, I kindly thank them for their time, hang up and call again. When I get a good rep, I try to be clear about what I'm experiencing, then I say "I need your help." Human nature is to want to help, so that puts them in the right frame of mind. I also use a phrase when negotiating.... "What would it take to ________?" I don't have the patience to do tweeting, texting, emailing.... my time is valuable, so I want real-time communication. You will also have better luck with reps from the call centers in the U.S., than those outsourced to other countries. The U.S. reps don't seem to rely on scripts as much as the reps in the call centers of other countries do. I always ask the rep, "Where is your call center?"  Then I say something nice about that place. That seems to help in developing a good rapport with the rep, who ultimately is going to help me get my needs met.

I took a look at your listing in Mesa, AZ. Love the pool and spacious rooms!  I noticed a few things that you may want to know about. #1 Your first guest is not actually from Kellyville, OK.... that's a default that occurs when a person who is new to Airbnb doesn't put their hometown in their profile. You can ask guests to update their profile to correct that. When a guest inquires or books, it's a good idea to check them out, google them, especially if they are new users of Airbnb. #2 Your profile is not complete. Great guests want to know more about hosts, just as great hosts want to know more about their guests. Write something about yourself that will be good for guests to know. #3 If you can find a local Airbnb superhost to mentor you, that may be helpful. That's what I did when I was starting out., but continue to learn in the Airbnb host forum too. They can give you feedback about your listing, share local resources with you, and help you develop the art of hosting.  #4 Instant book can be a helpful tool and help you get more bookings, but you may want to require guests to have verifications AND good reviews. You can still check them out, even after they've booked. If you don't feel comfortable about a booking that was instant booked, you can cancel penalty free - but call an Airbnb support rep to do the cancellation for you to avoid any problems. Some hosts think new hosts should hold off on allowing instant book until they become more experienced in vetting guests.  #5 For six guests, your pricing seems too low. If you plan to keep that price, then consider establishing an additional amount for extra guests after the first two. #6 Consider a particular niche or type of guest you want to attract and then set up your place and your listing to cater to them.  Good luck!

Robert528
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Considering joining airB&B , bur this revelation is quite bad news ..

Rhonda45
Level 6
Eminence, MO

You might write a complaint to your state attorney general. I am new to hosting and received payment 24 hours after the guests have checke in.    You may have to file a lawsuit against them and sue for damages as well as lost income.  You might try Home Again, a similar online hosting site.  We have friends who are listed on it and are happy with it.  

Dee33
Level 10
Reston, VA

You should have received an email like the following. Do not allow the guest to continue staying unless you get a follow-up email from Airbnb that says the situation is resolved. 

The attempt to charge your guest, xxxxxx, for the amount due for reservation xxxxx from July 1, 2017 - August 12, 2017 was unsuccessful. The reservation is still active at this time, and we've sent xxxxx an email alert with a direct way to pay the balance.
If your guest successfully submits payment, we'll send you a confirmation email right away. If you have questions about the payment problem, you can reach out to your guest.
If your guest doesn't successfully submit payment or if they cancel the reservation before making the payment, Airbnb isn't liable for issuing your host payout. If you prefer to cancel the reservation, you can cancel without penaltyat any time before the trip begins. If the reservation has started and you'd like to cancel, please send us a note.