AirBnB Plus requirement to take your listing off all other sites.

Angela683
Level 2
Winchester, CA

AirBnB Plus requirement to take your listing off all other sites.

I just received invites to add my properties to the AirBnB Plus program but they require you to take your listings off all other sites.   Seriously????   From the reviews I have read so far from hosts who have tried Plus, it doesn’t sound like it’s worth it.  Seems to be more negative reviews than positive and to take my homes off of VRBO/HomeAway seems like suicide.  I tend to get more frequent but shorter stays from Airbnb at my lower priced (smaller) homes while VRBO/Homeaway tends to provide longer stays at my more expensive properties.  The Airbnb clientele seems to be younger and more price conscious but VRBO seems to be an older clientele who are looking for  longer vacations at nicer homes where price is less of an object.  Has anyone taken their home off of other sites to try the Plus program?

16 Replies 16
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

That's nuts, IMHO.

Kristin131
Level 2
Denver, CO

I’m not a plus host, but heard some bad things too.  To your point about shorter/price shopping Airbnb guests, I definately agree!!  To add to this Airbnb guests also destroy my place and my things more and more. Airbnb  does not hold them accountable and they side with Airbnb guests even with documented proof, pictures and witnesses.  I cannot afford to keep replacing/fixing these incidence at my expense and it is starting to impact the amenities for the next guest.  I have not advertised on the other short-term sites yet, but my accounts are setup and it's time to make the move.   I wouldn't give up the other sites for Plus, at least not until the Airbnb host gets the support required.

We just had an Airbnb Plus evaluation on our apartment in St. Louis.  The apartment is one of my favorites in our group of Airbnbs as it has a cool industrial modern design.  First, Airbnb insists that their photograper take photos even if you have paid for first rate professional photography.  There was no evaluation of the existing photographs...just a requirement.  The evaluator recommended 17 changes to my apartment including purchasing a "mattress" for the futon in my living room.  That seemed totally odd.  

There were some good recommendations like add more personal touches like framed photos on the night stands, greenery, a printed Guest Book and the like.  I'll pursue those recommendations.

1651 Spring 2S-11 Medium.jpgMy apartment is booked 97% of the time now and we are near the top of the range for nightly fees.  We are going to pass on the Airbnb Plus opportunity.  I'm glad a read the group's feedback as I would not have agreed to remove my listing from other sites.  

To your point, Kristen, I have not had much luck collecting on the $1M in insurance when guests damage my property.  It hasn't happened often, but recently we had a guest have a party in our Urban Cottage unit.  (Not the above photographed unit which is Urban Haven)  The guest smoked in the unit which is a posted "no-no" for which there is to be a $200 cleaning fee.  We have purchased an ozone machine to use in our units then guests cause a less than desireable odor.  The cleaning crew uses the machine to address the smell.  The machine was $137 and I have the receipt.  The cleaning crew charged an additional $124 to clean up after this guest for a total of $174 when added to the normal cleaning.  Airbnb would only reimburse us for the $124. 

Now, I suppose I could have called an outside company to deodorize the place which would have cost more.  Perhaps Airbnb would have refunded me the entire amount had I gone with a more expensive solution but we all know that doesn't make sense.  We always hope the companies, first, hire people to perform customer service that have critical thinking skills and, second, give them the lattitude to make logical decisions in their and their customer's mutual interets; not the case in this instance.

When it came to all of the damaged sheets, towels, bathroom rug, broken coffee mug and missing spoon, the Airbnb process was so ridculously complicated that I gave up.  They wanted photos of the damaged items, the original receipts for the items and replacement receipts.  I sent photos and the receipts that I could find for original materials.  Why not just decide on a fair price for each of these types of items and agree that you will reimburse at a higher level if a customer supplies an original receipt for something special.  This would save everyone time and money.

Oh...and the naughty guest...he never responded to my or Airbnb's efforts to reach out.  Yet, Airbnb insisted on trying to reach him repeatedly causing further delays, more communication between customer service and me...yada, yada, yada...

Wow, sounds like a nightmare.  We happen to live onsite for our homes so we have seemed to have great guests for the most part and haven’t had to deal with damaged items.  I’m sure the day will come though. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

Wow, they seem determined to ensure that Plus is a total failure.  I can't imagine anyone thinking that Plus is good enough to delist on other sites.  That's nuts.

Ann489
Level 10
Boise, ID

@Angela683 

If you are considering Airbnb Plus.....do yourself a favor and don't do it!  I have only heard bad things about it from friends and other hosts.   You get to pay Airbnb $150 for the "privilege" of being a Plus-host and sign over all control to them.  

@Ann489   Oh, they don't even charge for it anymore. They can't admit what a failure it is (none of their ideas are ever bad or ill-thought out ideas, you know), so now they give it away for free.

@Sarah977....lol....oh, really?  Well, that's definitely a good indicator that things aren't going as planned for Airbnb!  Now if they just would be as quick to change some of their other ill-conceived policies  😉

@Sarah977 @Ann489 

It's even better than that - they're actually contributing to the costs of "fixes" for some hosts now. Desperate times call for desperate measures.... 

@Susan17  But, you know, that's really unfair.  What about the people who paid the registration fee and paid their own money for all of whatever Plus upgrades demanded?  Such an investment could have been several hundred dollars.  And now, when airbnb has totally mismanaged the entire roll out, not only is it free to sign up but they will also foot the bill for some fixes. I have really, really never seen a company that is terrible at everything, repeatedly, enthusiastically, stubbornly terrible.

@Mark116    Perfect!  They should replace the "Caring and Sharing, living like a local" rhetoric with

"Airbnb: Terrible at everything, repeatedly, enthusiastically, stubbornly terrible"

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

FB_IMG_1554583953829.jpg

FB_IMG_1554584014457.jpg

Yep, that’s exactly what it said.  Crazy!  

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Just to clarify, the exclusivity clause applies to US hosts only, and not those who contract through Airbnb Ireland. (Presumably because forcing hosts to remain shackled to a single platform would contravene EU anti-competition laws)