Airb&b's "Automatic" Refund policy

Mbua0
Level 3
Milwaukee, WI

Airb&b's "Automatic" Refund policy

Since I began hosting in January, I've had limited but substantive interactions with AirBnB. In my opinion, they seem a somewhat antihost. My issue is regarding their 'automatic' refund policy. I had a guest book a long term reservation from Feb. 1st through March 3rd, and decided I wanted to cancel/alter his reservation since he left earlier (2/24/19). Disclaimer, there were NO ISSUES between the guest and I; In fact, I never met him during his stay. However, he messaged me the morning of his departure thanking, and notifying me of his exit.

So, I called Airbnb the following day to inform them, and request that they open the calendar so I might accept new offers. Their response was that they needed the guest's permission to alter the reservation, and must refund him for nights unstayed. I then prompted them to close the case, as I was not keen on processing a refund especially if the guest had not requeted it himself.

So, Herein is my qualm. Why is it AirBnB's place to initiate a refund without the guest having requested it? My hope was to open the calendar 1 week early, and begin entertaining others to increase my February earnings. To AirBnB, however, that was 'unfair'.

Am I simply greedy? Please comment your thoughts below.

41 Replies 41
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mbua0 

Good advice. Never feed the trolls.

🙂

**[Inappropriate content hidden - Community Center Guidelines]

Amy-and-Brian0
Level 10
Orlando, FL

@Mbua0if we were put in this situation, we'd likely not say anything and use the time that's already booked but empty to do things to our space that need doing when no one is there. Like painting or caulking or even self-cleaning the oven, etc. Especially if there's little chance of someone booking last second. If last second bookings happen to you all the time, then it's your risk to open up the calendar...but ALSO give back the money to the tenant that left. You can't have your cake and eat it too. It is rent. And they are entitled to it.

Look at it as time given back to you with a bonus of cash. 

Now if they ask for a refund, that's a different matter. Our policy is no refunds on unused days. You'd have a legitimate beef with AirBnB if they were given their money back AND you didn't get a chance to sell the days to others.

@Amy-and-Brian0 

Yes, good point. Those days are booked but the room is empty so it's the perfect time to do those jobs you never have time for when you have back to back bookings. Even if no repairs need doing, it's a good opportunity to give the room a deep clean.

Or, just put your feet up and have a breather.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@John2374 

You just cannot let it go, can you? Let me explain it in a different way. @Mbua0  came here to ask for an advise. If he knew what to do or did not value our opinion, he would not have come here. You then attacked him and @Sarah977 . If you do not like the terms others used to describe your response, how is this: you are not being kind. Please try to be kind to other people. It will feel good, I promise. And one day you may need help on this forum as well. I know you think you do not want “our” help but you just never know.

Exactly.  YOU cannot let it go.  Why are you replying?

I gave my replies.  READ! They're the ones continuing to skew the thread into arguements. And now you decided to join and stir the pot with your**

@John2374 

I was replying because I was hoping that somewhere in the depth of the cyber space and under the façade of a tough guy there is a good human. But now I am pretty sure you just need to have the last word. Let’s see if I am right. I have now grabbed some popcorn and waiting.

And it's clear you keep replying just to continue arguing on something that is already done and closed.

@John2374 yep, here comes the last word. This is fun! Can you wait a minute, I need more popcorn. Thanks

It's so sad that instead of contributing, you just want to come here and argue like a child. I feel sorry for someone like you that has nothing else better to do than act like this.

I hope you find someone to complete your life and if you already have a significant other, obviously he doesn't mean that much to you considering you want to spend it here with me, on the internet, on a message board, in a thread you contributed nothing to but wanting to fight.

🙂

@Inna22, your feedback was greatly appreciated. As I advised the others, i'll advise you as well.

Please reserve your kind-heartedness for those deserving. Engaging with internet "tough guys," especially those flexing against women, is a waste of emotion. 

On another note, are there host meetups in Chi-Town? It would be nice to pick the brains of more experienced individuals.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello everyone,

I'm just going to step in here as the conversation appears to be getting personal.

@John2374, the Community Center is a place where you can meet, share experiences, and support one another. It is also important that we respect each other and remember what the purpose of the Community Center is as we all want to get along here. Personally, I think there could have been different ways to share your thoughts on this thread in a respectful way but unfortunately, this was not the case. 

I feel that this conversation has gotten off track, therefore, I have decided to close this topic.

Thanks to everyone else for taking the time to share your knowledge with @Mbua0

Quincy - Community Admin 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen