Airbnb fails to protect its hosts, and punishes them for protecting themselves.

Jonathan426
Level 4
Wentzville, MO

Airbnb fails to protect its hosts, and punishes them for protecting themselves.

I wanted to put this out there, as I have spoken to customer service several times about the issue with no resolution. If you, as a host require a government issued ID from a guest to approve their booking, and they do not provide one, it will only hurt you. If you fail to approve or deny their request, airbnb will block those dates on your calendar. If you decline on the basis that there was no ID provided, airbnb counts the decline against you. There is no way around this. You will be negatively affected for asking for verifications that AIRBNB REQUIRES! All customer service has been telling me for A YEAR is that they will submit feedback.

9 Replies 9
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Jonathan426

yes it is. We don't care if our guests verified their ID to Airbnb, they have to show us their photo ID on arrival and we register them . it is obligated in our country but we would do that even if it isn't. Important is that you have it written in your house rules.

Wow, I had no idea this was actuall required by some contries. That makes what @AirBnB6 is doing even more rediculous and apparently at odds with the laws of countries which they operate in.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Jonathan426

ID verification by Airbnb is worth nothing to you. They will never tell you the name of your guest even if he robes you or attack you, so the best is to verify their ID by yourself. This is what all hotels and motels do, why wouldn't you? You give your guest the key of your property and your home! You would ask your tenant to show you his  photo ID so why do you think you can't ask your guest the same?

Yes, it is obligated in cCroatia, Italy, I think Spain as well and some other countries, we have to register every guest, even children, to the police (immigration department) .

Rg0
Level 1
New York, NY

I have reached out to Airbnb and spoken to countless managers who refuse to give me the last name of. Guest that booked and she walked in stayed 1 hour and left. Victoria from England who is also a host in Amsterdam has bullied me lied and even in the review accused me of threatening her she then went in to call NYC DePartmnet of Housing and filed a FALSE complaint.

On 1-2-19 I had four men with badges outside my door and I had to prove that I was NOT breaking any laws after a conversation they determined that the woman Victoria had lied and they dismissed and closed case.

Airbnb is REFUSING TO HELP. 

Tney womr even give me the surname of this vicious and abusive guest. This is how they treT the sulerhost ME!

They have no issue protecting an online bully and liar who took things to far so now I have to involve a lawyer 

Hmmm.

@Rg0,

I not really sure why you need the last name of the guest.

She came to your listing and did not want to stay there.

Period

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Rg0

Roe, there are times when a mistake is going to happen, that person you hope would never enter your life does! When this happens the best thing is to distance yourself from the situation as quickly as you can and just get back on with your life. 

You obviously had a clash with guest Victoria, and sooner or later we are all going to have a clash with a guest. I had one here not so long ago....she was here for two hours before she accused me of being a 'creepy old man' , packed her bags and left, all because we didn't pull down blinds (we don't have) on our rear garden facing windows to stop my wife and I from seeing her while she was walking around our garden!

Roe, I just gave her a refund and got on with my life.

What you are doing is like picking away at sore, pulling the top off it all the time.....it just makes it worse and delays the healing process. 

Roe, she was a 'fruit cake' let her go, you are drawing others attention to the fact that you didn't hit it off and you are making yourself look a 'brittle' host, and not one to be messed with. Can you understand what I am saying? There are times and people that will make your blood boil, show your diplomatic side and let your reviews speak for themselves, your guests love you and you are a Superhost.....who do you think we are going to believe, your other 45, or Victoria!

She would look like the soldier in the Independence Day march...she is the only one in step..... but you are making a big deal here and in doing so not presenting your best side!

Roe, time to let it go!

Cheers.....Rob

PS: As a footnote Roe, Airbnb do give the surname of every confirmed resrvation.....it is on the left side of the message stream with that guest. Even once the guest has left, that information remains! 

Message stream naming!.png

So all you need to do is go into your message stream with the guest and the surname will be there!

Julene2
Level 3
IVGID, NV

Having just experienced the Trust and Safety Team responses when I had a guest problem, this is a big thumbs up 100% agree.

Airbnb allows me to require government ID for a booking... but then allows the guest to post a flower as their photo ID? They have no "check box" that requires a photo to MATCH the gov ID?

How the heck am I supposed to know who is checking in?

And they tell us what questions we can ask in advance? We only get one optional question? 

And if I require an ID at check-in - as almost any 2buck motel would - what if it doesn't match the reservation? Then what?

So - I am now making them do the checking. I click on a reservation if it has a goofy picture and hit the "problem" button. I tell the support folks that I NEED to know what the person looks like.  I make it the support teams problem. 

Maybe if enough HOSTS start doing this - they'll automate it! There is plenty of facial recognition software out there to make this a brainless task. 

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Julene2, I like your style and this idea! I have Government ID required as well and a facial image for profile, written in my house rules. 

How have you found Airbnb’s response to your problem button? Do they solve the issue prior to your 24 hour window to accept or decline?

Just saw this question! Airbnb has done the legwork required. when I say I will cancel.  They've changed a few things in the meantime also.

My rules now ALSO say -

- ID required at checkin must match your profile. Guest listed on the booking must be present to check-in.

- Nevada COVID-19 Regulations and my insurance require we have the name of every adult guest staying in the Home. Your contract is limited to _____ guests for the limited stay as booked. You and your guests agree that you will not visit our home if you have a fever, shortness of breath, or are experiencing a cough. You will wear masks in public areas.

- Only named guests are allowed on the property per this agreement.