Airbnb setting the price

Patty160
Level 1
Anchorage, AK

Airbnb setting the price

Hello,

I have been letting Airbnb set the price for my room, but with a minimum.  It has worked pretty well, but I am noticing that it is allowing guiests to book during the high season for the minimum amount.  In Alaska the high season is May - July.  A guest just booked 14 days in June for the minimum price and then a guest booked in late August (not high season) for double the price.  I have had this setting for about a year now and thought it would work itself out after it recognized when my high season and most bookings occur.  I have tried changing the price on each individual day, but it doesn't always work.

Also, I charge a $20 cleaning fee and have a two night minimum.  I would like to charge a higher cleaning fee for longer stays, but I don't see anywhere that I can do that?

Thanks,

Patty

5 Replies 5
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Patty160,

You probably are using "smart pricing", which is not allways as smart as you may expect !

Setting a minimum and maximum rate should be better within close bounderies, otherwise strange pricing results will occur.

You can allways set custom prices yourself for specific dates or periods, to overrule smart pricing.. Allways test your listing to see what is offered to guests.

The cleaning fee is fixed, not related to length of booking.

Best regards,

Emiel

Thanks Emiel.  I am using smart pricing and thinking I need to turn it off.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

"smart" pricing isn't... and no there is no way to have a variable cleaning fee, other than to disclose in your house rules that you'll ask for (or refund) part of the cleaning fee after booking.

FWIW I've been getting great pricing results with usewheelhouse.com...

@Lisa723, going to check usewheelhouse.com out now! Thanks! 

Yeah, I also don't use smart pricing. I've heard so many horror stories. What I've tried to do is get as many longer term rentals for my slow season. Here's an article about pricing strategies that has helped me (it's a bit of read, though, but now pricing makes a lot more sense to me. https://www.airgms.com/airbnb-pricing/?utm_source=Airbnb%20Community%20Center&utm_medium=Post