Airbnb sometimes "forgets" to collect Florida occupancy taxes for some of my guests as they should

Marcelo382
Level 2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Airbnb sometimes "forgets" to collect Florida occupancy taxes for some of my guests as they should

Airbnb has an agreement with Florida and the local authorities to collect 13% occupancy taxes from ALL guests and to remit them on our behalf.  However, they seem to "forget" to collect these taxes once every few guests.  It happens that my listings are located in a condominium  building where the condo association requires to see written proof that these taxes were collected by Airbnb before allowing my guests to check in.

Last month this happened with one of my guests, I spent hours on the phone with different Airbnb agents, messages back and forth, etc and they did not help nor resolved the problem.  In order to avoid having to cancel this reservation, I had to pay over $500 to the condominium association for these taxes and Airbnb did nothing to help, not even caring for the guest, whose reservation almost got canceled the day before the check in date.

Today, the same thing happened with a reservations with over $900 in occupancy taxes and I know I will be facing the same problem with Airbnb technical support.

However, Airbnb penalizes the host for canceling a reservation.  They did not give me a solution, nor an explanation, nor a response to this issue.  However Airbnb penalizes the host that don't respond messages on time.  

All their agents kept saying is that they did not have the ability to solve this issue, and they were not able to transfer me to anyone who could.  One agent even said that he was able to see that it was a glitch on their end, but there's nothing he can do to resolve it.

Has anyone else had this experience? what's the best way to get help from Airbnb when you realize that you are hitting a wall?  Is there a way to elevate a claim to a different department?

I'm really frustrated and even considering migrating all my listings to a different platform.

I really appreciate your help.

6 Replies 6
ONERüF0
Level 7
United States

I've not seen this out west but do have a lot of properties in different jurisdictions and in some they collect and pay the city directly and others they do not pay directly but have recently provided a collection method.  Now that you've said this it makes me more concerned with things I've seen with Airbnb customer service - or should say lack of customer service.  Seems like they have no interest in improving this for the hosts either.  

Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

@Marcelo382 

I'm so sorry! That is so frustrating!

We don't have that problem but something wonky is going on in how they display  the tax info for our place.

I log in as my host once in a while to check feedback stats and income. The page that includes the taxes collected will flash on the screen for only 3-5 seconds. Then, the page disappears and becomes a totally different financial page with no tax info listed at all. The flashed page is just there long enough for me to see that they have collected taxes from the most recent 3 or 4 guests but it's not up long enough for me to scroll down to see other bookings. 

Susan1028
Level 10
Oregon, US

@Marcelo382 

How awful to be put in that position!  So sorry you’re dealing with this unnecessary stress. 

Ive not personally had the problem with Airbnb not taxes but I know others in NY and CT that do, and have the taxes collected by Airbnb but not paid to the taxing authority.  In fact it’s earned Airbnb significant negative PR and inspired municipalities to ban Airbnb in some areas of the US.  More personally it’s created a lot of difficulty and scrutiny for the hosts by the taxing authorities.  They’ve had similar experiences trying to resolve the issues satisfactorily with Airbnb, but at least they’re not faced with needlessly stressful check ins and being forced to cancel a reservation like you are.  They’re just being levied penalties, which really add up and often result in audits (see anxiety rising...)

I hope you’re letting your guests know this isn’t your doing so you can salvage your reviews. I used to live in Florida. Condo nazis are the worst, and Airbnb (lack if) support us an ongoing problem.  When they “can’t” help me, I ask to be escalated to IT.  In my experience, Management is often worse than the front liners with far less customer service finesse.

The only thing I can suggest to alert you before the final hour is to check each booking just after confirmation for taxes so there’s some hope of correction in advance of check in.  If they’re not listed in the booking, call Airbnb to confirm/have them add it in, or collect it from the guest yourself so everyone’s not stressed out at check in...which (through no fault of yours) isn’t the greatest beginning to anyone’s stay and doesn’t reflect well on Airbnb either.

Be sure to mention somewhere in your listing that there is lodging tax and the rate so it’s there in case you have to address it.

Since Airbnb is so revenue/guest focused I’d also consider suggesting to the guest that THEY call Airbnb to complain.  Based on experience, that’s likely to move them faster than any host concern.

We have a right to expect a professional booking platform to be just that.  There are  veteran superhosts who’ve moved on because of “irreconcilable differences” and my last booking here is the end of this month.

I’ve been a 5 star super host since I began listing  without a gap and gave  25 years experience in customer service.  I work hard to provide a stay that’s an exceptional experience, have received amazing guest reviews and guest book entries, thank you gifts, original art work and poetry and I’ve had my fill of the “support” shortcomings, constant unannounced changes in platform services, and ongoing internal problems that effect my publicly posted algorithms and search placement.

@Susan1028 wrote:

@Marcelo382 

How awful to be put in that position!  So sorry you’re dealing with this unnecessary stress. 

Ive not personally had the problem with Airbnb not taxes but I know others in NY and CT that do, and have the taxes collected by Airbnb but not paid to the taxing authority.  In fact it’s earned Airbnb significant negative PR and inspired municipalities to ban Airbnb in some areas of the US.  More personally it’s created a lot of difficulty and scrutiny for the hosts by the taxing authorities.  They’ve had similar experiences trying to resolve the issues satisfactorily with Airbnb, but at least they’re not faced with needlessly stressful check ins and being forced to cancel a reservation like you are.  They’re just being levied penalties, which really add up and often result in audits (see anxiety rising...)

I hope you’re letting your guests know this isn’t your doing so you can salvage your reviews. I used to live in Florida. Condo nazis are the worst, and Airbnb (lack if) support us an ongoing problem.  When they “can’t” help me, I ask to be escalated to IT.  In my experience, Management is often worse than the front liners with far less customer service finesse.

The only thing I can suggest to alert you before the final hour is to check each booking just after confirmation for taxes so there’s some hope of correction in advance of check in.  If they’re not listed in the booking, call Airbnb to confirm/have them add it in, or collect it from the guest yourself so everyone’s not stressed out at check in...which (through no fault of yours) isn’t the greatest beginning to anyone’s stay and doesn’t reflect well on Airbnb either.

Be sure to mention somewhere in your listing that there is lodging tax and the rate so it’s there in case you have to address it.

Since Airbnb is so revenue/guest focused I’d also consider suggesting to the guest that THEY call Airbnb to complain.  Based on experience, that’s likely to move them faster than any host concern.

We have a right to expect a professional booking platform to be just that.  There are  veteran superhosts who’ve moved on because of “irreconcilable differences” and my last booking here is the end of this month.

I’ve been a 5 star super host since I began listing  without a gap and gave  25 years experience in customer service.  I work hard to provide a stay that’s an exceptional experience, have received amazing guest reviews and guest book entries, thank you gifts, original art work and poetry and I’ve had my fill of the “support” shortcomings, constant unannounced changes in platform services, and ongoing internal problems that effect my publicly posted algorithms and search placement.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, I will definitely do that.  Last week I caught another booking without occupancy taxes.  This time i caught it right away. Sent multiples  messages to Airbnb and nothing has been done.  AIRBNB responded to my message with a copy and paste of their occupancy taxes policies.  Nothing related to my complaint.  I replied with another complained.  they never responded back and closed the case... they are a shame

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

The murky world of Airbnb and their VCAs (Voluntary Collection Agreements)... 

Inside Airbnb's Guerrilla War Against Local Governments

"The high profile unicorn is battling cities from Boston to San Diego over collecting taxes and enforcing zoning rules"

https://www.wired.com/story/inside-airbnbs-guerrilla-war-against-local-governments/amp

Amy-and-Brian0
Level 10
Orlando, FL

@Marcelo382 Just to clear up a little of what you wrote... AirBnb does not collect 13% taxes for the state - they collect between 7 and 7.5% for the state, depending on your county. They then SOMETIMES collect the county tax as well, bringing it up to 13 or 13.5%, again, depending on your county.

The "sometimes" is because these are separate taxing arrangements. The State is one arrangement and the County is another.

I know this because the county we rent in, Osceola, has NO taxing arrangement with any platform. They refuse to do it.

Why? Because they want to know exactly who the taxes are being remitted for. AirBnb does NOT send in information on who the taxes were remitted for. Not the to County or the State - even if they pay it.

The State, however, doesn't care. You are still required to file a DR-15 {Sales and Use Tax} with the state for  your rentals, but you do not have to pay anything and you are almost definitely required to still file with the County.

I say this because you almost certainly got ripped off by your Condo association, who has literally no idea what they are talking about. 
If you show them the laws and agreements governing the way taxes are collected and remitted to the State and the County by AirBnb and VRBO and all the other companies, they should both give you your money back and apologize. And if they don't, take them to court. They are not a taxing body and have no right to enforce any tax laws on you.

If you look under "Transaction History" and then "Gross Earnings", you will see all the taxes collected for each reservation.
BTW, I looked at your listings and they ARE collecting taxes on your behalf. See screen shot.

I find it difficult to believe AirBnb did not collect taxes for your reservations. If they did that, the State and County authorities would go bonkers on them. They are already being watched like a hawk...

Marcelo.png