Airbnb takes advantage of me & gets abusive after an airbnb guest murders my Tenant

Sheila276
Level 4
Palm Harbor, FL

Airbnb takes advantage of me & gets abusive after an airbnb guest murders my Tenant

Airbnb is deterring hosts who replace locks when keys are stolen by refusing to pay for the replacements.  I showed them a receipt after replacing the lock Cynthia stole and they refunded her after she stayed for several weeks (without making her pay for replacing the lock or any other items that went missing during the weeks she stayed)

Airbnb has been issuing refunds to guests who stay for several days to several weeks out of extended bookings without explaining, paying for the hundreds worth of wine, juice, towels, extra sheets, blankets, food, spices, conditioners and other expensive amenities that are restocked and stocked with new items to welcome guests who book extended stays which last for at least a month or more.  The reason for spending hundreds of replacing locks when keys are stolen and stocking or restocking wines, beer, juice, eggs, towels, blankets, food, snacks and toiletries is the promised payout for such long ranges from a thousand to a couple thousand dollars.  

We never revealed airbnb's central role in the gruesome murder of our previous tenant to the media even though it was covered by dozens of networks who gave the exact location on TV, Newspapers and news sites.  

Airbnb has shown it's gratitude and willingness to compensate hosts who lose tenants, have property value decline and have thousands of other potential tenants scared away by sending the worst scammers on airbnb to book the home which was being rented by the tenant that was murdered by the airbnbn guest. 

These guests both booked extended stays where the payouts expected and promised are thousands of dollars.  This causes me to stock the home with expensive wines and extra high quality amenities to make sure they last longer than needed.  Hundreds are spent on the amenities alone for bookings that promise thousands or severAirbnb guest Deshon Powers, 26, was booked into Pinellas County Jail on Sunday on a charge of first-degree murder. [Pinellas County Sheriff's Office]al thousands for a month or several month long bookings. 

Cynthia stayed for several weeks and lost the key several times during her booking.  She made a mess, made me leave my job twice to let her in and replace her key.  Used and/or took hundreds of dollars worth of wine, beer, snacks, food, towels and other expensive supplies stocked to ensure the comfort of extended stays for paying customers.

After locking herself out a third time, she called and said she lost the key again.  I left work as usual to let her in but warned her that she would have to pay a fee if she loses the key and/or locks herself out again.  I advised her to attach the key to her key chain with her car key.

She responded by demanding a full refund.  She claimed that she had evidence the house was messy after staying for several weeks with her dog.  Airbnb customer support assured me that there would be no forced refund even though Cynthia claimed to have political connections and police officers as personal friends.  She seemed to be implying these friends would be willing to break their oath of office for her in an attempt to blackmail me.  Her threats didn't work on me but AirBnB refunded her for the days she had already stayed on top on top of cancelling her extended stay booking based on a video clip with the sound of a squirrel running across the roof and oak trees around the house.  Airbnb also showed she had sent a picture of a dirty paper towel dated for the day she checked in.   It appeared to have been used to clean up after her dog and didn't make sense that she would stay for several weeks if she actually felt it was messy. 

We had to spend over 50 on replacing the lock for the door she lost the keys for on top of the hundreds worth of water, power, food, drinks, snacks and other supplies she used or stole during the booking she got refunded despite promises by customer support to protect from such scammers and forced refunds. 

Airbnb didn't even pay to replace the lock for the stolen keys any of the expensive wines, teas, coffees, towels, sheets, conditioners, lotions or candles she took during her free booking.  

The cost of the lost revenue from the tenant who was shot three times over a"parking dispute", hundreds spent on new towels, fine wine, teas, lotions, candles, cheeses, crackers, fruits, snacks, foods and other drinks, power bill for the weeks she stayed was over $100 and she manged to waste over $140 worth of water within the 3 weeks she stayed for free.   

Airbnb replied to my complaint that I couldn't afford to pay my mortgage because the amount invested in new amenities was calculated based on the guaranteed payout totaling several thousand dollars for a booking of several months by stating it's not their problem if I can't pay my mortgage and claiming that I wouldn't have been able to pay my mortgage  without  this booking anyways.  They ignored the massive impact, expenses and lost revenue of having a long term tenant who payed his rent get murdered by an AirBnB customer, the large amount of money spent on buying snacks, extra sheets, blankets, food, wine, beer, juice, conditioners, hair dryer, 1st aid supplies, beach towels and extra linens which were bought in order to ensure the guest had plenty to last her entire booking. 

A customer support agent named Sanchari issued Cynthia a refund for the booking, including the weeks she had already stayed.  Sanchari and other airbnb staff ignored my requests for compensation for the stolen supplies and replacing the lock for the keys she had stolen (I showed receipts for the replacements including the lock).  Even though the last two bookings had cost me thousands of dollars in expenses and lost revenue, I got two more bookings for this location.

The next bookings were also extended stays and I went ahead and bought a replacement lock, replacements for all the missing towels, drinks, sheets, spices, food and snacks.  This booking cost me at least 500 on top of the lost revenue of 900 per month a would have been getting from tenant who was paying rent until an airbnb customer shot him.  There wouldn't have been any need to buy all the amenities that were stolen during her visit and replaced afterwards if my tenant hadn't been shot either.  I wasn't allowed to rate Cynthia.  This allows her to continue to use the same trick on different hosts without giving them a chance to warn each other. Her only ratings are the two positive ratings she got even though she probably rips off hosts several times per year.

Since airbnb has refused to pay for two bookings in a row and refused to pay for the replacement locks when keys are stolen, enforce the security deposit, Florida Law or it's own terms of service, I am currently unsure what to do about the missing lock-box, accessing the unit that I got locked out of or restocking stolen items again after failing to be able to pay my mortgage twice because of refunds for bookings that already started weeks or days ago.  I would normally have the lock drilled open and replace the lock, along with amenities for the new guest but it has become painfully clear that airbnb will not help pay for replacing any locks for stolen keys or replacing stolen supplies. 

I have also learned that I can't count on any of the payouts promised and that airbnb case managers have the authority to ignore Florida Law, Hosting Guarantees, promises made by other customer support representatives, the Terms of Service, house rules of the listings and security deposit. 

If Airbnb keeps ignoring me and refuses to explain why these bookings are refunded the days they already stayed, the cost of replacing the locks when keys are stolen are not covered, how they can claim they are not responsible for my problems paying my mortgage after an Airbnb guest shot my rent paying tenant and every airbnb customer since the murder has been refunded after taking hundreds worth of wine, towels, candles, food, snacks and other drinks, I will have to file a Rip Off Report and Video Review to warn potential hosts on YouTube.  

tampabay.com/news/clearwater/2019/09/01/clearwater-parking-lot-dispute-ends-in-fatal-shooting/

fox13news.com/news/dispute-over-parking-spot-leads-to-fatal-shooting-in-clearwater

wtsp.com/article/news/crime/man-shot-over-parking-spot-dispute-in-clearwater/67-da6bf481-9e07-454e-9...

tampabay.com/news/crime/2019/09/05/none-of-this-makes-any-sense-says-widow-of-clearwater-man-shot-du...

wtsp.com/article/news/crime/man-shot-over-parking-spot-dispute-in-clearwater/67-da6bf481-9e07-454e-9...

3 Replies 3
Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Sheila276 

SHOCK !!

I'm really sorry for your experience and losses and especially in the cases where Airbnb don't have your back.

Their biased actions don't surprise me and with the best intentions of bringing these problems to light, nothing gets done about them even if you do.

For this reason, I've not been around these fora in the last few months, there are too many hosts with the same problems as yours, and similar, which ABB are simply too happy to ignore.

Wendy684
Level 6
Levin, New Zealand

I'm really sorry to read this but somehow not surprised. Do whatever you need to do to recover financially first and foremost. If you kept quiet from the media before - maybe they can be useful now. Or a lawyer. I don't know but it doesn't sound right or legal. 

Maia29
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

I’m sorry for your awful experience. 

#1 i wouldn’t have keys, i would invest in a key code system that requires a code for entry that you  can change after every guest ($149 low base price here in AK). 

I would not stock expensive wines. Water yes. 

You should ask for “Twinkle Y” in the health and safety department. She’s really good.