Am I in Trouble?

Göktuğ0
Level 2
Ankara, Turkey

Am I in Trouble?

Hi to all, I am new here I recently booked my first apartment https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/34877187.
But I feel a lot insecure since the host has only one review from someone who seems to be her friend, place is much more cheaper than other listings. She joined two months ago as a host and sounds inexperienced when i text to her. I've got my brother (who is already in there) to check place before booking, he said it is as it seems in the photos, yet still I cannot trust.

Can you analyze this listing and host with your experiences.

14 Replies 14
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Göktuğ0 

I do not see something disturbing on the listing. Host has ID verified and also has 1 review as a guest.

As listed it is a rooftop appartment on 4th floor, with some stairs to climb to get there.

That could explain price is attractive.

Best regards,

Emiel

Thank you for your kind help and comments. Hearing these makes me less anxious about my trip abroad.

Corliss2
Level 9
Calgary, Canada

@Göktuğ0 ,

i have to agree with @Emiel1 . 

Oftentimes, new hosts will price their place below market value to get their first few bookings to establish themselves. With a new listing, you may find that there are a few minor details that the host may have overlooked. You may need to be patient with a new host until she gets into the routine.

Her being not paranoid as I am makes me even more paranoid. She doesn't ask questions and I don't know if this is common among hosts. But again, maybe I'm being too paranoid and I hope I'll have no problems. Thank you for your help.

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Göktuğ0 I would be more paranoid about a new guest sending someone to check my property before they check in, I wouldn't even allow it. You are both new, and as she trusted some stranger to come into her home that is not even the guest you need to trust her too. Especially since your brother saw the propery and said it was the same as on Airbnb. 

She sent her husband so I didn't cause much trouble for her I hope. Plus, I asked if it was okey, I did not demand it. I think it is crucial to verify the place before-hand to avoid unpleasant surprises.

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Göktuğ0 no experienced host would allow this, just to let you know so that you don't feel you are going to be able to check out every place before booking. 

@Ana1136 I'll consider this next time. I appreciate the warning.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Göktuğ0  You are also a new guest with no reviews, no verified govt. ID and nothing written about yourself on your profile (which I suggest you attend to if you want to up your chances of being accepted as a guest- many experienced hosts would decline a reservation for those reasons). So the host is taking a chance on you as well. It goes both ways.

Göktuğ0
Level 2
Ankara, Turkey

Thankfully I'm a proper guest with good intentions. 😄 But you're right, I should take care of it. Thanks for the heads up.

@Göktuğ0  Yes, I've accepted several new guests and they've all proven to be lovely, respectful people. But I know there's a lot of hosts who post here who won't accept guests with no prior reviews or recommendations, no govt. ID and no profile write-up. The profile write up is crucial if you don't have any reviews yet, as that can set a host's mind at ease.

It's also a good idea to update your profile if things change. I had a guest request to book but I was wary of accepting because his profile pic was of him and 2 buddies all holding up wine glasses, his profile said he was a student and liked a mix of partying and quiet times (so I'm thinking, yeah right, 90% party time and 10% quiet?), he had no reviews although he'd been a member for 3 years. But he sent a nice introductory message and he was one of my best guests. Turned out the profile info was old- he didn't have reviews because he'd joined but never had an opportunity to travel, and he was no longer a student, but a manager of 10 pizza outlets. I suggested he update his profile and change the photo to one of only himself, not 3 guys in party mode 😉

Hi @Göktuğ0 🙂

The thing is that the host is not paid before the day after you check in so there is no reason for her to scam you. If something should happen - like the apartment isn't there when you show up then airbnb will give you back your money and the host won't get paid. 

Best, Sandra 

@Sandra856 yes, I know that. That is the only fact I'm holding on. But searching for a new place to find with all the baggages following us would not be the best kind of experience. 🙂  @Sarah977 I should fill some before I check-in so maybe she will feel more comfortable about me.

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Göktuğ0 I do wonder however, if you don't trust your brother, who do you trust?

The answers you have received are very good. AirBNB encourages new hosts to underprice their home; guests or their brothers should not get a tour in advance; both the host and the guest have very little information, but the host has good verifications.

I think you have gotten a great deal and you should go and enjoy your stay. And then leave this host a marvelous review.