Analysis of my 25% refund

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Analysis of my 25% refund

I received my CSV file today. Here are 4 big issues/mistakes I discovered

1. reservations cancelled before 03/15 were refunded to guests in full however were not part of my payout
  2. most of dollar amounts make no sense and do not match the reservation amount, with or without cleaning fee and taxes
  3. most refunds within 7 days were still treated as over 7 days (12.5% back instead of 25%)
  4. reservations cancelled after a certain date were not included (but I hear they are supposed to come in batches so I will not worry about it for now)

I have 30 cancelled reservations so I do not even know how I will begin to straighten it with airbnb. One cancellation at a time? With their rate of response, it will take a year

48 Replies 48

@Jennifer1533  You're saying that Airbnb took half the payout and instead of refunding it to the guest, they just kept it? That's just blatant theft, and there is no fine print in their TOS or policies that will cover them for that. If that's the case, I would message this sweet guest, who wanted you to keep all the money, and tell her that Airbnb has taken half the money she intended for you to receive and simply kept it. If the guest calls Airbnb to give them hell about this, I bet they will either refund it to her or give it back to you.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

I just found an attorney to help me sort this out. To underline, this is not any kind of call for class auction and there is no punitive component. This person will deal with this mess only.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

Looking at my canceled reservations, I see some that I think should be subject to 25% payout under the covid EC policy, but are not.

Some say "Not applicable separate policy applies"

Some say "Not applicable ineligible cancellation date"

I don't understand either of these.

@Lizzie can you shed any light on this?

@Lisa723.  This is exactly my question and concern.  I have been paid the 25% for a few March reservations.  These were booked and cancelled in the time frame and qualifications from Airbnb, so no issue.  Then I see for four cancelled reservations in April (all booked and cancelled within the dates and guidelines for CORVID reimbursement) and there is the "Not applicable separate policy applies" next to these 4 cancellations.   What is this?  I go to the helpful resources - and I do not see this "separate policy" mentioned at all, nor any explanation of this term.  What is weird is that both the reservations I received a partial payment and the denied appear to be reserved and cancelled under the same guidelines.  All appear eligible but 3 were accepted and 4 denied.  I have not changed a thing on my booking levels (cancellation policy, etc.).  Although it would not be a lot of money, I am very confused on the inconsistency of how they are applying the refunds and the mention of a "separate policy" that I can find no reference or explanation anywhere. 

Hi Jamie, Lisa and Inna, When I first read about the 25% reimbursement Airbnb was offering I thought I'd get $10k of the $40k bookings I'd lost...until I read it again.   Prior to mid-January I had most of my bookings "Flexible".   I happen to decide to change it when someone canceled last minute in early January and I was left with an expensive loss for a week's vacancy in ski season.   What I learned when reading their policy again is I'm only entitled the 25% of what I lost when Airbnb overrode my "Strict" policy so only 25% for the 50% I would have gotten minus cleaning fees.   All those that were "Flexible" would have been able to cancel anyway because of my policy.  Therefore, I'm only getting $979.   Could this be what happened with the bookings you're not getting reimbursed on?  Were your policies Strict, Moderate or Flexible?   @Inna22 @Lisa723 @Jamie219 

@Lezlee0 my policy was "strict" for all reservations.

Wow...that's not adding up as you should have received a refund on all of your cancellations.   I wish I would have been strict from the beginning.  In January I got thinking....people don't get to clog up my calendar without skin in the game.  Right now, I'm finding people doing the same without canceling even when they know they aren't coming.  Until recently, we couldn't cancel post May 31st without penalty which was very unfair.  I'm glad that's changed now but it took too long to come to the conclusion we need to be free to do long term bookings.   It's been very guest oriented until recently where host needs are now being somewhat considered.

My cancellation level has always been set on moderate. I got paid 25% for three of the cancelled reservations up to March 18th (those were under the moderate cancellation).  The rest (2 in late March and 2 for the first two days in April) they say they are not eligible due to the “separate policy applies.”  All were booked within the dates Airbnb would consider for reimbursement and all under the moderate cancellation.  All were cancelled by the guests, not me.  Not that it is a lot of money, I am just confused due to what appears to be an inconsistency in their policy or method for determining who gets reimbursed.  I would have rather them said, “we ran out of money.”

@Jamie219 I agree Jamie, that is confusing and inconsistent.  I'll be taking a closer look at my payouts as well.  I just assumed the missing payouts were due to when I offered a Flexible policy.  Thanks for the reply

@Lezlee0 all of mine are strict. always have been

@Inna22 Good way to go.  Mine are strict from now on too.   I guess that doesn't explain the confusing reimbursement then.  I thought that might have been the reason for not receiving 25% on all reservations.  Thanks for your quick reply!

Amy-and-Brian0
Level 10
Orlando, FL

Another interesting feature of this payout is that it will not be paid out in a special batch.
"This support payment will be included in your next scheduled payout to your default payment method."

For us, that's not until late June, and that person has already said they are going to cancel. That leaves us with only 1 possible payout for the entire year - late July. We only have one other reservation.
Real timely. Really helps us out.

@Amy-and-Brian0  Getting someone you know to book your place in the very near future might do the trick.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

.... What I was thinking @Marit-Anne0 ! (Remember to charge the lowest possible price to lessen commission lost!) 🙂

Actually @Amy-and-Brian0 -- go to your transaction history, and look up 'Upcoming' ... it will tell you the date that the support payment is scheduled to be paid out. You don't need to have a guest stay to get this payout.