Are guests becoming more disrespectful?

Tara1
Level 3
Ann Arbor, MI

Are guests becoming more disrespectful?

This might be crazy, but I have noticed guests becoming more disrespectful over the years and I'm wondering if other hosts have seen the same.

I have hosted my home on Airbnb for 3 years. I have had over 60 bookings. I have always raved about how respectful my guests have been until the past few months. I have had some very bad experiences.  I'm wondering - as Airbnb is becoming more popular, are we getting more people on the platform who are treating our homes like hotels?  We rent our personal home so I am worried about continuing to list on the site if this keeps happening. 

94 Replies 94

@Tara1

I have definitely noticed that guests are more demanding and critical than they use to be...despite the extras that I have continued to add to the property. 

My biggest problems are always in the kitchen where there tends to be the most careless extra wear and tear 

I have never really had rude or noisy guests but i have a minimum of 3 nights ..so idont get the weekenders or party groups who tend to create the biggest problems 

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

It's always difficult to tell.

Are guests getting more disrespectful?

Or are we hosts getting more easy to annoy?

I am getting older and more curmudgeonly as time goes by.

I lack that honeymoon excitement when I first started Airbnb.

Also, as I gain more experience with amazingly great and clean guests, the disappointing guests seem more disrespectful.

Maybe it's a cycle or just luck?...

Well-said Paul!

Even before I read your words, I was having some thoughts around your point.

Yes, as we age we certainly become less willing to accept things that seem to be logical, written, plainly written in our description, that guests insist in not read, or so they claim and then, make a review telling that the description isn't complete or needs more details...

But, there is one poin that I am insisting AirBnB should do really better: I'd like to see the close a close-up from the upcomming guest. Also, sometimes the guest that arrives isn't the one that made the reservation, that is, no previous identification and less yet a picture. In this case we open the door of our house for a total stanger. Tolerating this, or not, would be a sign of our age?

Tony134
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

@Mike340 I installed a camera in the common area facing the kitchen. I mention this clearly in the listing, that there is a camera, and then point blank I write "Please don't leave your dirty dishes. ;)" Kitchen dirtiness reduced by about 90%!

Tony,

I read about you a few weeks ago. A guest complaining about your place having a camera inside the house facing the sink area. It raised a lot of comments.

@

I would love to read this post you speak of. I found a post mentioning a kitchen camera, but it wasn't mine.

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Tara1, asks:

Are guests becoming more disrespectful

The answer is:

Yes, some of them are

The reason is the airbnb policy with always pushing harder and harder on hosts to achieve requirements like average rating, accepting a percentage of bookings, the extenuating circumstances policy, claiming money back through the resolution center and the list goes on.

There are guests out there that are well educated, have a musical talent and know very well how to play on that piano.

Yes, Ute, some know how to play by reading the music (think of reading our instructions) but, lately some just seem to have time any more to read and "play" by their ears (or minds) and that is when we generate a conflict.

Perhaps we should have our instructions and guidelines spoken so they can listen if no time (or too lazy) to read...

Vielen Dank.

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I haven't noticed any change since I started as a live in host 3.5 years ago.  I have had well over 200 sets of guests during that time and only a couple have been really awful.  However, like a lot of people have said on this CC, cheap prices attract cheap people and I refuse to lower my price as I just don't want the type of people who are more suited to a doss house.  The only kitchen appliances I allow the use of are the microwave and the fridge/freezer for storing cold drinks and snacks.  Perhaps I have just been lucky so far.

It is not at all my experience that "cheap prices attract cheap people". I think it is very much dependent on where you live, why guests come to your area, how you have worded your listing description to attract the type of guest you want, what type of accomodation you offer, and how well you are able to vet guests through messaging before approving a booking.

There are many, many people who are traveling on a small budget who are totally wonderful, respectful and appreciative. My listing is one of the least expensive in my area for what is offered and of all the guests I have hosted there was only one who I found somewhat disrespectful in a self-absorbed,  entitled sort of way, but still not what I'd call a "bad" guest. I have had guests who range in age from 20-70. They have almost all commented on what great value my place is and all but one left their space super clean and tidy, some verging on immaculate. And all left great reviews. 

I would agree that price doesn't always define the type of guest. My house is $500 a night in the high season and I've had a couple of experiences that were troubling. One was a man, wife, infant & sister in law with rave reviews as guests. I had written a review before getting home (that won't be happening again) to find my recycling bin full of booze bottles. An email from my neighbor then told me the man had barged drunk into their yard that Saturday @ 11:00pm trying to join their barbeque! 

My pricing is determined by when and how long I want to rent my house. ABB continually notifies me of all my competiton getting bookings that I am missing because of my price.  I've had people ask for a discount, which during the winter I've entertained, and had some lovely guests. I agree that the more communication upfront the better! 

I think if you meet the guest and introduce your home, displays of family photos, guest do sense a deceny about your home, a place where you live, sleep and eat and will treat it as such.

I agree with your view on price setting. Lower prices means trouble!