Arizona occupancy tax collection- how to remit your tax form

Mark-And-Jami1
Level 2
Glendale, AZ

Arizona occupancy tax collection- how to remit your tax form

I received a late tax bill from the AZ dept of revenue.  I assumed AIRBNB remitted my taxes due and AZ simply matched up the tax form I submit quarterly with what AIRBNB submits.   After talking with the dept of revenue I learned that I needed to submit a TPT tax form with ZERO liability (no revenues earned)  if AIRBNB is paying taxes on my behalf.  Seems like an odd way to collect taxes, but I asked several times to fully confirm and they directed me to amend my past quarterly tax form to show zero liability.   Hopefully the dept of revenue stands behind this guidance.  

1 Reply 1
Vicky145
Level 2
Pray, MT

The State of AZ has not made this simple for us.  I selected to pay taxes annually when I registered.  Their TPTEZ form is complicated and the employees are not consistent on how to fill out.  I think that we are only supposed to report income from rentals that we have done on our own or were not paid by Airbnb and VRBO.  Also, a representative in the online marketplace department of AZ Dept. of Revenue stated that cleaning fees, pet fees and other fees are not to be included in gross income.  If anyone has this figured out, I would love to hear about it.  Also, I was unable to renew my license and/or file to pay taxes due to some glitch in their system.  I needed to send a letter to the DOR asking them to fix it so I can proceed.  Many hours I have spent researching their law.  Employees just tell you to contact a CPA.