BAD GUESTS!

BAD GUESTS!

We had a really bad guest in our house and left a HUGE mess and I was left with a large cleaning bill and I involved air bnb after the guest refused to pay! The guest was NOT happy form the start wantng discounts and free things and then left the house a total mess! Air bnb rejected my claim so I not only hosted this guest I actualy lost money! Has anyone else had this happen to them?! 

Thank you

111 Replies 111

I know the feeling...i just had the most irresponsinle guests ever...they not only scratched and chipped the kitchen cupboard door but their kids wrote on the floor with green marker....they also left the kitchen in a total mess....there were lots of empty glass bottles that they consumed during their  stay all open and all attracting flies and other insects....when i contacted the guest about the damage she denied that they did it ...but i told her that the kitchen cupboard was not scratched and chipped when they arrived..then she said that it just have been the kids...but she still refused to pay for it to be resprayed....so i wrote to air bnb about this...and the reply i git was that since the damage is cosmetic it is not covered by the damage depsoit..can you believe it......so a guest can scratch and chip the furniture and he won't pay for the damage....i don't whether i should cry or laugh.....i say we should set up a bad guest list so that owners will have the chance to check what kind of people he/she is dealing with

Vicky102
Level 2
Christchurch, New Zealand

Yes Rita a BAD guest list is a very good Idea.

love the bad guess list idea, have you tried VRBO, are they any better?

I leave notes all over my units telling guests they will be charged for things ... if say- they sit on the sofa with sun screen on their bodies and stain it.

Some guests write in their reviews that these signs make them nervous. Which I find interesting because they would be liable without the signs and they know this.

But what I will say— the notes have VASTLY improved the way guests treat my homes. And I just roll my eyes when I read reviews where guests say the signs made them anxious not to make a mess. Well— what about just not wanting to make a mess in someone’s home? I mean the notes are pretty obvious— If you stain, damage or lose my towels, I will charge you; If you melt plastic on my stovetop I will charge you; If you permanently stain my bedding I will charge you. — Those are pretty much the only notes. Common sense, right?

i highly recommend the notes. I still get great reviews and it cuts down on damage A LOT! I was going through towels and bedding like crazy and now it’s so much better. And no one has dared to leave a mess likethe one you mentioned. *knock on wood*

How do you charge them for damage?

Love the bad guest list idea!!  Perhaps on FB?? 

There now is a page on Facebook called AirBnb Guest Blacklists. The idea is to list th enames of th eblacklisted guest and the situation causing the blacklisting. Unfotunately some posters are using the page to simply whine about all kimds of things, or even some incrdibly stupid folks who want to show off their place! Also the occasional sales pitch for AirBnb related srvices and products. It may or may not last as it is somewhat a polutted page, but at least it gives folks a heads up pn how AirBnb is likely to handle your individual case.

Barbara9
Level 2
North Richland Hills, TX

How can you have a bad guest list for future guests when the company won't give you a name or picture anymore? They are all mystery guests.

Did you ever get an answer on this?

@Remel0 Did Airbnb ever resolve your issue? 

Yes. It was finally resolved but the lose of income and the bad taste...never goes away! 

It really does feel so often that hosts are victims of bad behavior.    I have a list behind me now of really stressful, awful guests some of whom were mentally ill:   Vampire Man, The Defecator, The Ravers and most recently The Movie Star.      I may need to just sell and move as I am not sure I can keep doing this.    

Chad35
Level 1
Sebastopol, CA

Dealing with this now. Guest is saying If we don't give her a full refund she will "shutdown our listing" by claiming to airbnb that our kitchen is unsafe. The Guest complained that the smoke detector went off and now wants a full refund after leaving a total mess. We have had licensed plumber and propane service inspect oven and there is no leak, still guest claims that the smoke alarm going off caused such inconvenience that she is demanding a free stay/full refund. We don't even allow full use of the kitchen and this guest cooked a full chicken dinner. 

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Chad35

This thread from January  just reappeared in the CC. I hope you were able to get the situation resolved well.

About the guest threatening you -

- you do know this is extortion? and that Airbnb frowns on this?

- if it was off-site, in order to not leave a 'paper trail', in such cases you recap having received their call

or text message and copy in the quote of what they said to you. The on-site message board is vital as record of proof to Airbnb of conversations/problems between host and guest.

- if in future a guest threatens you with extortion or is otherwise inappropriate, you report them by means of the little gray flag in their message or on their profile.

Hello!

thank you for your kind words. I had impression that it is an extorsion. The request came via airbnb official channel. But until resolved, I can't say I won. On some forums some hosts say that airbnb judged in the favour of the guest, even if the guest was guilty, and the host lost not only money, but got left with damages. I will submit photos of the window tonight, to proove that everything is ok, and that the guest was too lazy to close it (guest submitted a photo with a window with a slot of air). Sounds surrealistic, like those claims quoted by the travel agencies "we were living in the lake house and a horrible green frog jumped on our pier. We request a full refund, as the frog doesn't have right to climbthe pier"