BAD GUESTS!

BAD GUESTS!

We had a really bad guest in our house and left a HUGE mess and I was left with a large cleaning bill and I involved air bnb after the guest refused to pay! The guest was NOT happy form the start wantng discounts and free things and then left the house a total mess! Air bnb rejected my claim so I not only hosted this guest I actualy lost money! Has anyone else had this happen to them?! 

Thank you

111 Replies 111
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Chrystal23 ,

I've been advised you have received a call from the team today with next steps. Let me know if you need any extra help!

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Angela2149
Level 2
Calgary, CA

I have had many bad experiences as a host as my listing is a shared home. My home is not set up to completely separate guests from common areas and I have not included kitchen and living room. It is meant more as short term hotel style stay, a place to sleep, bath, wash clothes, TV, internet, towels, shampoo, soap. 

I have people booking for other people so I don’t have guest ID....auto booking doesn’t control these people doing this. I have also had two guests show up when booked as one guest.

I have people who don’t bathe and stink up the mattress so that I have had to rent a cleaning machine, garbage bags full of liquids and smelly food dripping on my wood floor, people not checking out on time, a guy whole stole over $120 in food and other things while I’m out or taking a shower and had to install a camera.

I have had people booking long term, forcing the issue of using the kitchen and if I say it’s listed as no kitchen the excuse is they didn’t understand the ad (can’t read or language barrier) and they will need a way to cook and eat. if you ask for extra funds they give you poor review.

Because I am not in wealthiest neighborhood, my rate is set at market and I get some awful people. Even when I raised the rate I still get constant problems so frankly I’m going to delete my listing.

One guy took my dishes, used them and threw them in the garbage and completely filled my outside garbage 3 times....no recycling which is required.

Several guests have left my door unlocked and left keys in the door. Another used my clothes washer, took clothes out soaking wet, left washer running and out heavy soaking wet clothes in dryer when he was instructed how to use the machine.

Guests ask to arrive at midnight when I have to work in the early morning  which is not listed check in. I do decline but it is not well received. They ask to arrive before check in and expect me to leave my job. 

They leave their door open in the night so you have no privacy to exit your own room to use the bathroom. Another guest was having people come to the house to buy cell phones, constant vehicles arriving at the house....likely stolen phones.

Guests want to have packages deliver, wake you up in the night, discredit you on ratings, and you seem to lose status for setting rules.

Home insurance also now wants higher rate if you Air BnB as well as my city wants a license even for shared home. 

Overall I have had 20 years experience managing properties and rentals and have never had so many issues. Perhaps guests get to leverage on the review system and Air BnB not fully supporting the host complaints.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Angela2149 Sorry to hear such terrible tales. We in the UK are lucky, we tend to get a better class of guest, respectful of private homes. I certainly do, & my place is very cheap.

Could you not stop Instant book, & only use 'Request to Book'? Then you can have some idea of what sort of person they are from the messaging...Don't take just anyone; only the polite & respectful - & literate! Maybe only accept workers who are out all day, similar hours to you so they can't run amok in your absence? Or tourists with full schedules. DON'T allow guests who plan to be around all day, when you're not there to supervise! Make your house rules firmer - 'Do not use' notices on the washing machine if necessary.

You need to be very specifoc upfront with rules. Don't worry if the list seems long, it will help in th elong run. When accepting a booking make sure th eguest has read and AGREES to the rules entirely, or they will be removed from th eunit immediately. If they see a pushover, you are finished.

Patrick568
Level 10
California, United States

The amount of "guests" I read about who threaten hosts is truly amazing. If AirBnB sees a guest threaten a host they should immediately not be allowed to place a review and any requests for refund should be viewed very closely. This needs to be an immediate change from Airbnb. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Angela2149  I'm sorry to hear you've had such bad experiences. But I don't understand "I have had many bad experiences as a host as my listing is a shared home." Are you under the impression that all home-share hosts have these types of issues? Because I have been hosting a private room in my home for over 3 years and have almost nothing but lovely, respectful guests. There were a couple of times a guest brought an unauthorized person back at night, but I was able to work it out amicably with the guests, with no hard feelings and no bad reviews.

Managing properties and rentals is different from listing a room in your home. With normal rentals you are dealing with tenants who need to provide references, work history, sign lease agreements, etc. It can require a different kind of skill set to learn how to vet prospective Airbnb guests before accepting a reservation from them. Things like reading the reviews they have received and given, communicating with them through messaging in order to determine if they have actually read through all the listing info, impressing on them what your house rules are and what your expectations are re cleaning, respecting others in the home, learning how to address concerns when they are staying in your home, etc.

If you just accept anyone who IBs your home without doing these things, then, yes, you are unfortunately going to experience some bad scenarios.

Personally, I have never and would never use IB for a shared-home listing. And I communicate with guests a fair bit before they ever get their foot in the door.

I see you have quite a few nice reviews, but that you don't bother to leave reviews for your guests. Why is that?

Julie-Ann21
Level 3
New York, NY

Ha! I had a guest do the same thing, stay a full week, then extend their stay.... THEN TRY TO CLAIM A REFUND by saying their stay was terrible! AND I got a feeling they were taping "adult films" in my apartment....Airbnb didn't help at at all. 

Wonder if it was the same people...