Bad review because guest did not us the app

Bjarki3
Level 1
Reykjavík, Iceland

Bad review because guest did not us the app

I have gotten two bad reviews from guests that arrived late and could not check in themselves, so i rushed over and when i arrived in both cases they had the airbnb app open and i saw that they did had not pressed the big green ¨Start check-in¨ button in the app which shows with pictures and text instructions on how to locate the apartment and use the lockbox. Both of these guests then gave me bad reviews because they said the check-in was to difficult. Now from my point of view if they had pressed the start check-in button right away they would have been able to do it easily and would not have been annoyed for having to stand outside waiting for me to arrive. Is it just me or are these reviews just unfair or am i doing something wrong?

8 Replies 8
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Bjarki3 

I did not see recent "bad reviews" on your profile. Maybe it's about the rating or a private comment.?

Check-in procedures must be foolproof, so yes, you need to mention in upfront communication: "The app has this Green button to be pressed...."

Best regards,

Emiel

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

Start sending a message a day or so before their check in to remind them how to access the check-in function on the app.

Cian7
Level 3
County Dublin, Ireland

It's a pain but little I think you can do. People generally see though the crappy reviews and in cases will look into your response. I found a basic video helped if I was not around - it beats words because people prefer watching a video. It normally sorts the issue for future check-ins. You can import your video clips into Movie Maker (MM may be a built in and basic programme if your on Windows) 

All the best

Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Bjarki3  It seems that you need to make informative corrective procedure as suggested by other hosts when the first guest had encountered the issue.

There are guests who have issues much worse than these two you had.

@Bjarki3  Although it's convenient to have your check-in process built into the app, I don't recommend relying on it. The Airbnb app can be really buggy at times, and guests need an analog option if they're unable to get online or have phone troubles. 

As @Mark116  said, sending the complete instructions the day before arrival significantly increases the odds that the guests will come properly prepared.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Bjarki3   Anytime you depend on people being technically savvy, you increase the chance people won't get it, so it is incumbent on you to pretend the guest is your great grandmother who is refusing to get a smart phone 😄

@Linda108 wrote:

@Bjarki3   Anytime you depend on people being technically savvy, you increase the chance people won't get it, so it is incumbent on you to pretend the guest is your great grandmother who is refusing to get a smart phone 😄

And I am going to press a bit harder. I have just landed in a country where my smart phone doesn't work after traveling for 12 hours. I know that a SIMM card provider at the airport will cost me at least 4 times more than waiting until I can go to a local shop. I have even done my research and know which shop and card I will buy, but first I need to get into my AirBNB, wash my face and have a cup of coffee. Then, I can find my way to the supermarket to buy some cheese, bread, eggs, maybe a sausage and then onto the mobile shop.

To assume that anyone can access the AirBNB servers, especially when they have just arrived, is just too much to assume. Be kind to your guests. Send them the code along with some instructions in advance.

Paula959
Level 1
Seaton Delaval, United Kingdom

We had the same problem our phones would not work so couldn’t message host.