Basic Host Requirements - Loophole or Error?

Danielle476
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

Basic Host Requirements - Loophole or Error?

Good day everyone,

Recently I logged into my account to see that '1 Host Requirement Needs Your Attention' under the Basic Requirements.  The target for accepted reservations is 88%, and I have recently fallen to 86%.  Seems fairly clear, correct?

I have my booking settings to Instant Book, with the caveat that all guests must be ID Verified.  For whatever reason, AirBNB still allows unverified guests to make booking requests - something I don't typically mind, as I will explain my requirements to the guest, walk them through the Verification process and eventually, 9/10 guests do end up adding their ID and booking with me anyway.  

The problem is this:  AirBNB requires that hosts 'Accept' or 'Decline' requests when they're made.  I always decline unverified guests, with a message outlining what I've explained above.  Once they're Verified, they Instant-Book.  I had no idea these 'Declines' were being held against me!  When I spoke with Customer Service, they explained I should instead be asking the guest to withdraw their request, submit their ID for Verification and then Instant Book once all is said and done.  This seems INCREDIBLY cumbersome for me to explain, and for the guest to adhere to.  I'm not an AirBNB IT professional, why should I have to jump through these hoops when the settings on my listing are clearly intended for Verified guests only?

To me, this is the equivalent of allowing a listing to say 'no dogs allowed', then penalizing them by saying 'you only allowed 86% of your guests to bring dogs instead of the required 88%.'  Don't let me select 'Verified Users Only' if you're going to turn around and penalize me for not accepting Unverified Users.  Ironically, this number isn't even accurate as most of the Unverified Users do become Verified and book with me after I've declined.

Any thoughts on this?  I'm being painted into a corner it seems.  Their algorithms don't appear very well thought-out at times.  I'm sure this is also damaging my listing's status in the search results.  Customer Service just suggested to send them a completed Feedback Form.  I asked if it would be better to simply not 'Decline' or 'Accept' but she said that would be worse.  Sigh.

71 Replies 71

This is what I do too, I don't accept or decline ever, I just let the time run out.  ABnB just sends me a notice....sorry so an so didn't book with you, something to that effect, so it looks like it's on the guest an not me.  I always reply to an inquiry an leave it at that.

@Wende2 CS told me not answering at all was worse than declining guests repeatedly, FYI.  No idea how accurate that is, but she said not to let the time run out. Do you have any experience with it negatively affecting your stats?

@Wende2 For any other hosts who read your response, please note this is not true and that not responding at all is worse than declining. If it's a "Request" you must Accept or Decline within 24 hours and a non-response will affect you worse than a Decline.

If it's just an "Inquiry" you do not have to Accept or Decline, but you do have to respond to the message within 24 hours. Your response rate is 100% so I would assume you are doing this.

Perhaps it's Inquiries you're referring to when you say you don't Accept or Decline?

@Danielle476  @Suzanne302 Hi......I do reply to any an all inquiries an I also have Instant Book set, I have never been "punished" yet.  That said there are times when I will go ahead an Accept, times when I'm not sure the inquiry is on the up an up, those are the times I let the 24 hrs run out, after I have already replied to the inquiry, ABnB always sends a message that so an so didn't book with you, that way it looks as tho the guest booked someone else, or no one.

@Wende2That's what I was explaining. I figured you must have meant Inquiries because you can't do that with actual Requests. And no, as I explained above, you are not dinged for not Accepting/Declining Inquiries.

@Danielle476  was having a problem with Requests, however, so she can't just respond and ignore, with a Request you are required to Accept or Decline. If you ignore a Request, you will get dinged by Airbnb.

Do you understand the difference between an Inquiry and a Request?

@Danielle476  I haven't gotten any requests, other then maybe the one where the dates were grey,?  I have just had inquiries, mostly about pets.

@Danielle476  Yes I do know the difference.  I haven't gotten any requests, other then maybe the one where the dates were grey,?  I have just had inquiries, mostly about pets.

Hi.....I do answer just don't accept or decline, so after I've sent a reply that's when I let the time run out, that looks to ABnB that the guest didn't book, that's when I get notification that the guest didn't book with me.  I'm still the first place when searching my area, so it's not been held against me, at least it doesn't seem so.

Hi @Wende2  🙂

You can find all your numbers - acceptance rate etc. on your progress page on your airbnb dashboard. It will show the superhost requirements and also the basic hosting requirements. I can't remember if the acceptance rate is a part of the superhost or basic hosting requirements. Another thing if you are logged in when searching for places in your area you will always find your listing as the first one. In case you didn't know.

Best, Sandra 

@Sandra856  Hi.......Thanks.......I have had a friend go on an she said I was first, but there's only 5 places in this general area counting me, maybe that's why too.  I had wondered if being first had to do with rating an number of reviews.  I'll check out the progress pg, I have been there before but didn't notice the acceptance rating.

@Danielle476  Hi....I do reply, I just don't accept or decline at that time, I let the time run out on the guests end.  After 24hrs ABnB sends me a notification that the guest didn't book with me, so it looks like they booked someone else or not at all.  But I diffidently do reply I never let time go by, I have the app on my phone an as soon as I heard the ABnB jingle I answer right then, no matter what the time.  I'm still first on the page when you do a search of my area, so it seems it's working fine that way, or I would think they'd move me down or something, so no, no negativity as far as I can tell.

@Wende2 What is your acceptance rate? It should be under your basic requirements.

@Emilia42  Honestly I have no idea, I know I've never turned anyone down.

@Wende2 

So if you get an inquiry, you can respond without pre-approving or declining. Essentially, your message counts as the response. You can let the time run out. But if a guest sends through a request to book, you must Accept or Decline their booking. If you let the time run out it will count as a decline and it will affect your acceptance rate and your standing with Airbnb. Just making sure you know the terminology because it can get confusing!

@Emilia42  Thanks an yes I understand...confusing...seems odd I haven't had any requests, but I did have the grey dates that I wasn't made aware of, just noticed it when I checked my calendar, thought it was very strange.  I will certainly be sure to Accept an hopefully not feel the need to Decline should I get a request.  I see they changed the rule for seeing the profile photo with Instant Book, I don't see it now until they have booked, had been seeing it with all communications.