Bathroom for muslim guests

Pit-Yin0
Level 2
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Bathroom for muslim guests

Hi, I had a guest just check-out like a week ago and he left me a review saying that my bathroom is not suitable for Muslim guests. I've texted him like how to make it a better / more suitable for Muslim guests, but there's no reply from him. Does anyone know how to improve my bathroom because I really have no idea about this and my rating just get low because of the bathroom =(

10 Replies 10
Christian65
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

That's a weird comment for a review I don't know if there's a Muslim rule regarding bathrooms although I highly doubt that. 

I see you've left an open answer on his review as a question but perhaps you should ask him directly in a message as he can't answer you back. 

I would really like know the answer my self. 

@Pit-Yin0 @Christian65

I believe he was referring to the absence of a bidet, which is a basic element of the bathroom (like the sink) in most Muslim countries and some Mediterranean ones. 

However it's quite strange for someone to be expecting this somewhere where this is not a norm. When you travel (especially through Airbnb) you kind of have to adjust to the way the local people leave and that's the beauty of it! 

So dont get upset and I definitely dont think you should get one just because of this one guests' opinion.

Pit-Yin0
Level 2
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Hi Daria, many thanks for your kind information! Yea, you just have some random guests sometimes 😃

Kathie21
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Daria20  But this is Malaysia.  Washing facilities ARE the norm.  @Pit-Yin0  only had to go into the public toilets somewhere like a shopping mall to see what's expected.

@Pit-Yin0 Like @Daria20 said, I remember reading that muslims need water, not just toilet paper in the bathroom. A bidet could be an answer, but actually all they need is access to running water within arms length while on the toilet 🙂 In the article I read, it mentioned that muslim visitors carry around a bottle of water specifically for that purpose when they travel abroad to countries without bidets or hoses next to the toilet. (this is not common for public rest rooms in Korea) 

I think the guest expecting a bathroom suited to his/her religous belief is a bit extreme, but for future muslim guests if your sink happens to be far from the toilet, you could just place a cheap bottle of water on the toilet for them (that they can use and refill as needed).

Paige73
Level 6
Lansdowne, PA

I'm a Muslim and I don't even know what he meant! 

At home, muslims often have a bidet, but we use a water bottle everywhere else, including most mosques! 

Maybe religious articles in the bathroom; A biblical quote or picture of Jesus? We wash our feet as part of our ablutions. Is your sink really tall? 

Or...wait for it! He's a difficult guest who happens to be Muslim. He probwbly would have found something else to be upset about. 

Marko17
Level 5
Bled, Slovenia

I am so annoyed by them because of the bathroom issues. 

Just search the google "bathrom for arabs" and you'll see a toilet and a hose next to it in the middle of the bathroom.

The problem that I have is that some of them, leave our bathroom totaly flooded. Bathroom wooden door or other furniture then get damaged because of the water on the bathroom floor since there is no drainage in the middle of the bathrom. Shower/hose should be used only in a shower cabin. But they are doing their thing in the middle of the bathroom. 
How should I explain this properly to them without offending them in the same time. Not all arabs are like that, I guess more the religious ones..

Is exact what’s happened to me.

I rent my brand new studio flat with high standard building regulations and etc.

the tenant a muslin who destroyed the bathroom in  just over two months, is been flooded damaged on the bathroom tiles, cabinet is completely rooted, I will never make the mistake again.

although his  attitude was really not good.

And he is and post graduate educated.

my experience leave me compassionate exhaust.

These are my experiences - i do not imply that this is the the "norm"

Kathie21
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

I suppose in a Muslim country like Malaysia, Muslim guests would expect not to have to resort to bottles of water.  Normally there's a hose attached to the cistern, so you don't have to have a bidet that takes up space.  I'm not Muslim but after 2.5 years in Asia I'd quite like one of these in my own home.  But only if I could heat the water lol.

I see you live in Malaysia, the guest maybe made a hint that you and your toilet are not religious enough for his taste. Maybe he should have asked before he place his booking.