Bedding

Ryan27
Level 5
Washington, DC

Bedding

I'd appreciate input on an issue I've had as a host for a year and a half now....yes, a long time to not have resolved this on my own.

After I receive a booking, in the 'house rules' they receive, it says to please not use product, whether it be makeup, makeup remover, or skin products, like Proactiv, that bleach or stain the bedding.  I am having bleaching, staining and oily marks left on all bedding: the sheet sets, blankets, comforters, just everything! It's very time consuming and costly! And regardless of figuring out what is doing the staining, being makeup, oily makeup remover, skin products like Proactiv, etc., the problem continues. If I use white sheets with the thought of being able to bleach them, it doesn't resolve the issue because things still stain.  A darker color becomes 'tie-dye' looking after washing after someone sleeps with skin care product on that bleaches, but that result doesn't show up until after washing! So this is affecting all pieces of the bedding and comforters and blankets aren't cheap and if you have extras to replace the ruined ones, there's no closet space! 

I'd appreciate input on how to keep this to a minimum since what I am doing doesn't seem to be helping. Do you suggest that if I do know which guest causes this, like with sheets, to charge them for the sheet set? Comforters and blankets may not be washed after every guest so I can't prove that it was the last guest.  I fear a bad review by making these requests and then if something is ruined, charging them.

Thanks!

45 Replies 45
Raquel13
Level 10
Miami, FL

My suggestion would be to wash all bedding, including comforters and blankets, after every guest!  I wash everything, including the shower curtain and the rug in the bathroom, after each guest departs. In the very least, use a comforter cover (duvet) and wash it after guests leave. This way you will identify who is ruining your bedding. I would also suggest that you use white everything, including lighter weight blankets that can be easily washed such as a Courtyard hotels Textured Coverlet (search online in the hotel's website) that  washes and dries quickly.

Hi Raquel not sure if you will read this but i fount the Courtyard hotels textured coverlets online. Wondering if you were able to find these anywhere cheaper for same quality?  I been experimenting with different sheets and alernative to bulky comforters here and there. but it's kind of hard to find the perfect cost effective to quality median. It's been almost two years since you posted this so I figured if there was a less expensive alternative maybe you would've found it. Thanks! 

Victor, 

No, I have not found the Courtyard hotels textured coverlet for a cheaper price, however, Courtyard does have occasional sales so you should sign up to get communications on sales coming up.

These duvet covers are amazing and gets stain off the material easily. 

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/ofelia-vass-duvet-cover-and-pillowcase-s-white-00133024/

as a guest, I would definitely stay at your place.  I don't understand why more hosts don't use white bedding.  All the hotels are now doing it.  I won't stay somewhere that has a fancy comforter because I KNOW its not getting washed.  It completely skeeves me out and I'm so surprised how many hosts still don't think of this.  And how many guests don't think of it either.  I also don't think its fair to consider charging a host for sheets or comforters if hotels don't.  and they don't.  expecially if what you are charging  is comparable to a hotel.  

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Ryan27 I inspect all sheets, pillowcases, towels etc before putting them in the wash.  Where necessary,  I pre-treat with a stain remover (Shout, Z-out, Resolved) and haven't had to replace anything in 16 months of hosting.  I get all stains out, even makeup. 

Clare,
Do you use white sheets? Just trying to decide if I should switch to all white. I am having bedding staining also on my darker sheets. They look like bleach stains, but I don't use bleach in the wash. I wash all bedding after each guest.

I'm not @Clare0 but I woud highly recommend all white sheets much easeri to mix/match/bleach/clean.  I have 3 sets of sheets for all beds to ensure I Can handle back to back short term rentals. 

Andrew

Andrew - see community help guides for many great FAQ

You really have to have three sets of sheets for each bed- especially if you have guests coming and going on the same day.

I can't seem to get blood out of of sheets especially the white ones. We are in high altitude and there are always nose bleeds. 

Hydrogen peroxide works wonders on blood stains!

I use a clorox bleach pen right before it goes in the wash. Usually works if you wash it right away. 

Hydrogen Peroxide works wonders on blood! You may have to reapply often over the course of a day or so, I have gotten rid of a large blood stain that way.  I'm not sure if it works after it has been dried. 

A host is claiming that he can't get makeup off the duvet, charging me 330.00 Mind you, I get it out of my white sheets weekly. I am in the process of disputing this. What do you suggest?