Bizarre Host Experience

Bizarre Host Experience

Hey, all!

So we have two guests (wife and husband) staying with us, that check out tomorrow and we have had an 'unexpected experience' to say the least. Overall the guests have been very nice, but they definitely have over-stayed their welcome. Here is a list of what we've been dealing with:

1. We use instant book, and our current guests did not disclose that they have a caregiver that shows up in the middle of the day to help them out. This is no problem, but while they felt they were doing us a favor, their caregiver did our laundry? It just felt a little too close for comfort. 
  2. They have been eating our food. They used almost our whole 1/2 gallon of milk. They also ate some of our fruit and left a half eaten banana on the counter and it was bringing in fruit flies. I don't think I would have minded so much if they would have asked, but when we didn't have enough milk left for them to make their dinner, they made it seem as if it was our fault? 
  3. The husband was up all night one night just walking around and our dog kept waking up and barking so we got almost no sleep.
  4. They have left a bunch of their stuff in our hallway.

I feel like we have been very accomodating. We even went out and bought a nice new baby gate to give a bit more separation between the space and the rest of our house so their cat can be out and wouldn't be bothered by our dog. Have any of you dealt with this kind of experience? It is almost like they feel like they are our roomates and not just tenants who are staying for a few days. Am I overreacting and I just need to chill out? Thank you for your feedback. Any and all advice is welcome!!!!

10 Replies 10
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I think the only way to reply posts is to do so initially and then edit as you otherwise can not see the full post.

David
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I have seen similar posts on here and went through something like this myslef.

After a while people will toghten up their listings and be more careful with what they allow guests to do.

Clear expectations and stopping any abuses in the bud is the best that you can do.

David

Thanks for the feedback, David! I will adjust my post to reflect more do's and dont's at our spot. We've never had anyone do this sort of thing so I will be sure to update our listing accordingly. 

Sara2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Anna-and-Zach0 I can't see your listing but you need a clear list of rules

an open fruit bowl is an invitation to help yourself

if you Provide tea and coffee (I do) it's up to you to provide milk or creamers suggest you buy individual ones

keep an area in your fridge for their stuff and close yours in plastic boxes

about the carer you have to be totally clear about visitors especially using your machines , if they break one you are not covered by insurance

Relatives visitors and even careers are " visitors" guest need clarity of your rules before they bookgood luck

Sara, thank you so much for responding and providing some much needed clarity. I will review my listing and update our house rules and information. Here is a link to our listing: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/11396263?

Any and all other recommendations are welcome and I seriously appreciate your thoughtful response.  

Anna,

I see you added the following rule, "Please do not eat our food without permission. We are very generous people and if you need anything, just ask! :)" which is great but beware that some folks might assume that if you say yes once they dont have to ask again. I normally provide coffee/tea/bottle water, a small assorement of fresh fruit, and I'll bake them some kind of muffins for their stay. If I have long term guest, as was the case with my last guest, I state that they have a shelf in the fridge and they are to label their own food with labels provided. My last guest was eating all my food when I wasn't around and I caught them, their response was I had already said it was okay. I explained to them that the fruit bowl and the muffins were okay but not everything else. House rules spelled out what was available to them. My guest proceed to tell me I was making to much that they weren't eating that much. They were with me for 11 days and they only brought and labeled (per verbal and writen instructions) two items, a small wedge of swiss cheese and a small container of cottage cheese.  If I would have caught them earlier in their stay I would have asked them to leave as it wasn't the only rule they had broken and they were very demanding guest. Since they only had two days left of their stay I let them stay but next time I might not be so considerate. My guest stayed in their review that I was a wasteful person that would prefer to let food rot and throw out than share with them. Its not about not sharing as I like to feed folks, its that they were being disrespectful to me by sneaking around and not asking but just taking whatever they wanted. I know not all guest are pushy and try to go around the rules, I've just learned to be more direct and firm for the future. 

Katrina27
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

I think you have gone above and beyond. Using "some" milk for coffee is one thing. It's not a free for all. Depending on your listing, I think it's extreme for guests to help themselves to your food. I specifically have "no laundry". I wish you the best. I only started in October, but, knocking on wood, have had a great experience so far. Hope they leave the place respectful and just be clear in the future.

I agree and really feel as though they did take advandtage of our resources. It just felt a little ridiculous and frustrating that they didn't even ask. 

We have only had great experiences thus far and hope that by updating our listing with additional information will keep us on the straight and narrow with future guests. Thanks so much for your response, Katrina!!

Robert78
Level 10
Suzhou, China

Wait a minute... did you say they brought a cat?? Looks like you are hosting a menagerie! 😉

Sara2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

GUEST INSTANT BOOKED LARGE INDOOR CAT WITH KENNEL IN TINY ROOM

I am now going to delet the option " small pet by arrangement " as a girl IB d herself , her indoor large cat with kennel and cat bag and two large suitcases last night and gave me a fake phone number hoping I wouldn't complain.

my pictures clearly show a three foot bed in a single room and she booked for 6 days ignoring my request to send a photo of the cat.Thenk God I,was up,watching late TV and picked up on it allowing me time to phone customer service who agreed she broke rules and cancelled penalty free