Bogus/fake listings not removed after reporting

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

Bogus/fake listings not removed after reporting

I'm curious as to what folks think of this issue....

Back in February, 3 months + ago, I reported a suspicious listing https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/32579501 as fake, by clicking the "Report this listing" tab below the red "Book" bar. Airbnb failed to remove, so I sent a couple of messages detailing my concerns. They replied that it was nothing to worry about, even tho' the bizarre wording & amenities suggested fake. So 10 days ago I sent another message  to CS & received a reply acknowledging it WAS bogus, but saying "We can't delete the listing cos it's not a legit link of Airbnb. Thank you for raising this concern to our attention, we will make sure we address this case." 10 days later the fake listing is still up.

22 Replies 22
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Helen350 That's so annoying.  I was going to click through, but if it's bogus, I don't want to go there.  

It has 8 digits to identify it, but all my listings have 7 digits.  What about yours?  If it really isn't an Airbnb listing, of course Airbnb can't take it down.  But how about a warning to guests and hosts?  

Here's something from Help:  https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1519/someone-sent-me-a-link-to-airbnb--how-can-i-tell-if-it-s-re...

Helen350
Level 10

@Ann72  Ah! Right....  Stupid not tech savvy old me didn't really realise, that Airbnb don't have the power to take it down... My 3 listings DO have 8 digits btw..... 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Helen350This listing looks real to me. Why do you think it's fake?

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/32579501

Helen350
Level 10

@Emilia42  Airbnb have acknowledged it is fake! They said "we do not want you to be affected and infiltrated by this scammer." - The red flags were that the apartment looks more Asian than a place in the working class town in the north of England where I live.. The wording sounds foreign, broken English, in a town with few foreigners - no one here would use such expressions.. "Indoor Wifi" - is there outdoor wifi? "Dry and wet separation" - What on earth is that?? "Amenities" include aircon, but not heating! In NW England, we have no need of aircon, but definitely need heating! The furniture does not look British, the marble stairs with iron bannisters are not a thing here - we have wooden stairs, or MDF ones. It's the town where I live, I've looked at the map bottom of listing & don't think properties like that exist in that spot. Plus the photo does not look like a real host, & if he was really called Gavin would not speak English like it was not his native language.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Helen350 do remember people do travel to other countries and make that country their home with their own furnishings etc.

Alas you mention a very valid point re that particluar listing

Helen350
Level 10

@Emilia42 Actually, I've reported numerous fake listings, using the tab on the right of the listing, below "Book" -  in my area & other parts of the UK. They seem horribly common. In the other cases, they have disappeared quickly from the website.

@Helen350 

It doesn't even have UK power points.

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 Well spotted! Cumbrian it just ain't ! 

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 @Helen350 @Ann72 @Emilia42 

Perhaps they are a 'Gavin of all Trades!!

@Emilia42 You're so brave.  Now that you've clicked through, I'm going to do the same.  🙂

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Helen350 It's weird, but he doesn't have any reviews or bookings, so that's good!

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Helen350 @Ann72 @Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 @Emilia42 

I'm sure ABB can ask the internet service provider to remove fake listings that are not legit ABB just like facebook,twitter and others can get& accounts images removed or prevented from going online, esp in the UK where there's good legislation in place to get things like that removed..

It's an area where ABB must start do do work on for there own reputations sake, they can start by talking to Google for a start and establish a goodworking relationship with them as other Businesses, government etc now do

@Helen427 

This bogus listing is entirely the responsibility of AirBnb since it is published on AirBnb platform. No other Internet Service Provider is involved.

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 @Helen427  Yes, exactly! That's why I reported it toAirbnb. I was puzzled when they acknowledged it was fake, but said "We can't delete the listing cos it's not a legit link of Airbnb."

As they reassured me, this bogus listing is no threat to me personally; I knew that, but hoped they would appreciate me assisting in getting fake listings removed, by reporting it. In the past i've reported loads of fake listings, & they've removed... I was just puzzled that the website is besmirched by fake listings & they can't fix this...... Also it's good, I assume, to warn others to look out for fakes in their neighbourhoods....