Broken Dishes

Patrick568
Level 10
California, United States

Broken Dishes

What does everyone do about broken dishes? We had 8 different dishes broken recently. A glass here or there is expected. But the last group broke 8 different items. Chalk it up to wear and tear? Or file a claim?

Thanks in advance.

11 Replies 11
Denise80
Level 9
Hamilton, New Zealand

Hi @Patrick568 , to me broken dishes are just part of the cost of hosting but others might feel differently. We host remotely, and it is our holiday home so the dishes we have there are either ones I have been given when friends clean out their cupboards, or ones that I have cleared out of my cupboard. I don't mean that they are chipped or anything, but they are not things that have special meaning to me. I keep a look out for specials and buy glasses, mugs etc when I see a good bargain so they probably only cost me a couple of dollars each. 

@Patrick568 , I agree with @Denise80.    I expect dishes will break every now and then. That's why I don't buy expensive dishes and if they need to be replaced, it's not very costly. 

You can always message the guest just to remind them to be a bit more careful 🙂 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Patrick568  if one group broke 8 dishes I would expect them to offer to pay something.  I would absolutely give them a negative review.  I'm not sure I would go through the formal process to get $$, but people who are that careless are jerks. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Patrick568  I agree with @Mark116. The odd dish or glass broken is to be expected- I've certainly broken a fair share of my own over the years. But 8 from one booking is over-the-top. Not worth claiming for, but review-worthy mention for carelessness. Especially as I gather they didn't think it worth mentioning or apologizing for?

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Patrick568 Were they otherwise great guests? I had a group of ladies once who broke 6 (nice) wine glasses but at the same time, I liked them and their reservation paid my bills for the month. I told them not to worry about it and I upped my nightly rate by $5. The next two reservation paid for new wine glasses and then some. Make sure you are charing enough for wear and tear. 

Ann783
Level 10
New York, NY

I hosted a family that broke 4 plates and destroyed/took a sheet of sheets and a beach towel. Otherwise great guests. I just absorbed the cost. 

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Patrick568 

It is acceptable that some incident may happen and a guest breaks a cup of glass or 1 dish... I have had guests that offered to pay or to replace a broken cup and or a broken plant vase before checking out... I said no, please do not say that... I am not going to charge you for an accident.
However I never seen a guest or group of guest capable of breaking 8 dishes. I agree with @Mark116  . I would not go through the formal claim to be reimbursed... but breaking 8 dishes...  I think at least that other hosts should know that the guests are dish destroyers!

Just out of curiosity? Were they Greek? There is a Greek wedding tradition where they break and smash dishes while dancing.
In this case... I think you could contact them directly and ask to pay for the dishes.

If it was the case, I would not mention it (the issue with dishes) in the review. 

David4245
Level 3
Los Angeles, CA

Require a deposit. Take pictures, replace the items and photo the reciept, be fair. Then Airbnb will refund you. I had a guest leave baby oil all over my carpet, my bedding and comforters in two bedrooms. With cleaning services and some replacement it was all addressed. Airbnb made the payout for damages just a few days later. Expect this to happen because it will! Just be ready when it does. Good luck!

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Patrick568 @David4245 @J-Renato0 

@Emilia42 @Ann783  & @everyone-else

you may like to include in your listing it would be appreciated if you advised if you break any items & replace them as you would yourself if you did the same in their home - I've included a piece in my House Manual as I felt it's an extra piece of info just as a cautionary measure not a hard & fast rule.

All the best

Patrick568
Level 10
California, United States

Thanks for all the great feedback. Im going to implement some of these ideas. 

Angela2108
Level 2
Krong Siem Reap, KH

Don't host if you can"t get over a broken dish or two with you bookings!

People are begging and starving and we are making a 2nd income from Airbnb!

Accidents happen all the time, and if you cannot get over a broken dish !! well 

Either get cheap ones you won't miss or maybe get a Bank Loan.