Can 5 stars overall be recovered?

Galway1
Level 2
Galway, Ireland

Can 5 stars overall be recovered?

Hello,

I'm fairly new to the business but already love it. Many small improvements could be done to the platform, but things are great! 

I got some (4/34) 4-stars reviews and that dropped my overall to 4.9. I wonder if there is a way of getting the 5.0 star overall back. And what would be the treshold for that.

In a sentence: 4/34 is around 12%, if I could drop that to less than X%, I would get my 5.0 overall star back. What is the X?

Best,
Lucas.

11 Replies 11
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Yes, @Galway1 as it is just a matter of math.  

Galway1
Level 2
Galway, Ireland

@Linda108 Thanks. Yes, I know is a matter of math, that is why I've posed the question as a math question.

Do you know what is the X in the question?

@Galway1 the X in this instance I believe would be calculated thusly:

I think if you can get your average to be any amount higher than 4.950, it would (for display purposes) be rounded up to 5.

Assuming all your non-5-star ratings are 4s (heaven forbid you get any ratings below 4), then since you already have 4 ratings of 4-stars, you need 76 ratings of 5-star to get *exactly* 4.950 average.

So 77 or more 5-star ratings would round up to 5 in display.

Or, expressed another way: if you have 80 total ratings and 4 are 4-star and the rest 5-star, then your average is 4.950.

Having 81 ratings or more (all 5-star, except 4 are 4-star) will average over 4.950

Don't forget that the guests often only look at the pictures of the stars. That gets rounded up to 5 pictures of full stars for anything over 4.750, which is far easier.

Hi Matthew, that is the supposition I've made as well. Thank you for your time answering. I hope our assumptions are right but seems like I will only know if I ever make it over 4.950.

Best,
Lucas.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

does anyone recall if our stats all reset at a rolling 365 days??

for many things: decline rate, cancellations, SH, etc. it is only the most recent 365 days that are calculated. But I don't remember if that is also true of our individual star stats. I think yes, but can't off the top of my head prove.

@Matthew285 @Linda108 @Galway1

@Kelly149  Pretty sure the review rate is total of all guest reviews for each listing.  

@Linda108 then you could conceivably have a SH who has a 4.9 rating (last 365 days) on a 4.4 rated listing

OR a 4.9 listing (historical) that doesn’t qualify for SH bc of a vindictive 1* review in the 365 day period. 

would be one of those unintended consequences that abb is so bad at figuring out 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Matthew285 My observation is, one 4 star means that, (in practice) you will never attain a 5 star rating again...you will always be something less than 5 stars because of that one review. Overall I sit at 4.9 and although I have returned to a 5 star in 3 categories after a solitary 4 star, but it took 36 straight 5 star ratings in those particular categories to get that 5 rating back. Guests being what they are, I would consider it impossible for 36 consecutive guests to give a 5 star, not only overall, but in each category.

@Kelly149, the review stats belong to the profile, not the listing...many hosts have tried to dump an unfortunate past and start a-fresh, but their stats will follow them.

The review stats do not re-set after one year! They remain constant and will follow the host not only from year to year but from listing to listing.

Just my observations.....but I have been wrong more times than right!!

Cheers.....Rob

yes, @Robin0, that's what I was saying: the reviews stay with the listing forever, BUT SH is calculated on the stats from the last 365 days. So, for a host that has just the one listing (gets even more complicated if they have more listings) their total lifetime reviews could be significantly higher or lower than the SH target, but they could make or miss SH standards based on the reviews from the last 365 days. It's a little sloppy

Alex939
Level 10
Plovdiv, Bulgaria

@Galway1, for me this is arithmetics, not even as complicated as maths, but for me is useless to calculate when in the future we'll come back to 5.0* because meanwhile the rules would be changed, the equation will be different and this x% we today strive for not will be the same.

Allison366
Level 1
Felton, United Kingdom

I think never being able to get your 5* back is dreadful- I average at 4.98 for 255 ratings and I'm down as a 4.9- they should up NOT down- simple math