Can I charge a guest for excessive cleaning fees? Replacing linens?

Jennie35
Level 1
Gilbert, AZ

Can I charge a guest for excessive cleaning fees? Replacing linens?

Hi,

Just new to hosting. Our very first guests disregarded our noise and no parties rule. They had people in and out all all hours of the night. The house cleaner had to toss several towels and sheets that were stained with puke, urine, and other unknown items. Since it was our very first guest, she did not know to take pictures of everything. Sadly, these were brand new towels and sheets - never been used before! The costs for replacing the sheets and towels will be minimal - under $75. But, it did take her an extra few hours to clean the puke and urine caked all over the bathroom. 

We are hesitant to involve AirBnB and ask the guests for even $100 towards excessive cleaning, especially since this is our first guest/hosting experience and she hasn't left a review yet. If we instigate this, will it be a bad first review? What would you, as a hosting community, suggest? Eat the money and hope she leaves us a good review - if any review at all? She was very flaky and it's already been a week since she checked out.

Initiate a claim? Provide her with a negative review? 

How do we counter protect against this in the future? Is there a way to say that we will charge them an extra $200 for any bodily fluids? Can we do this without involving AirBnB and a security deposit? Thanks community for your help! I've read several articles and don't know that we have the photographic evidence to support our claim to buy new towels/ sheets / or of the cleaning in this case. 

I really hope all AirBnB guest experiences aren't going to be like our first! Hoping you can help me out here!

Jennie

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/21583415

2 Replies 2
Jason351
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

I would accept it as a loss and fill out a review on her. She broke all of the house rules so I would get Airbnb involved. She created an unsafe environment and doesn't need to be involved in the Airbnb community if she does't abide by the guidelines. Is she gives you a bad review, you have a rebuttal and if I read your account of her as the host, I would read her tribute with a grain of salt

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Well of course you can charge.

The tricky bit is collecting, how do you intend to do that?

David